X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Pheonix?

Anyone had any experience with these guys? They came in last drill to give us a presentation, apparently my State's Guard has signed a letter of understanding with them or something like that. I'm interested in their Criminal Justice program.

Re: University of Pheonix?

They are a private for profit institution. Just like American Military University, Devry or Kaplan University.

Check to see if they have any partnership agreements with employers like Devry. This helps with getting entry level jobs.

Comment

Is it an accredited degree?...yes
      Will the credits transfer...usually not
      Will the Military recognize the degree for promotions/officer programs...yes
      Does anyone in the real world take U of Pheonix seriously...no

In my opinion, any school that has to "recruit" students, isn't worth the dollar.
      In addition, I feel that Criminal Justice is one of the most useless Majors out there. You don't need that subject criteria to be in Law Enforcement, they actually usually prefer something technical, like accounting. What are your intentions with a Criminal Justice Degree??

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
        Does anyone in the real world take U of Pheonix seriously...no
        I do agree with this. There are other for profit schools that have a better reput-ation, like AMU, and are not as expensive as U of Pheonix.

Comment

Avoid UoP at all costs...

Research. Research. Research.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies.I really appreciate it.My intentions with a degree in criminal justice would be to become a police officer or state trooper. The reason I'm looking at UoP is because of the flexibility they offer.

I'd like to get a full time job to support myself and move out of my brother's home as soon as I get back from basic but I'd also like to take college courses because I eventually want to be an Officer. That's why UoP seems so appealing. I dont know of any other options that would allow me to do that?

Comment

You may wish to consider your local state community college. If you have a specific career goal in mind, a two-year degree from a community college is often the shortest and most direct path to that job. An associates degree in nursing or HVAC may not impress poseurs at a dinner party, but it may impress a boss looking to hire someone who can actually accomplish something specific. I'm a big fan of the community college system, and I would encourage you to make a logical decision, and don't let other people's snobbery influence you.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
                You may wish to consider your local state community college. If you have a specific career goal in mind, a two-year degree from a community college is often the shortest and most direct path to that job. An associates degree in nursing or HVAC may not impress poseurs at a dinner party, but it may impress a boss looking to hire someone who can actually accomplish something specific. I'm a big fan of the community college system, and I would encourage you to make a logical decision, and don't let other people's snobbery influence you.
                Great response. I went to a local community technical college before embarking and graduating from UCONN. My TA covered it even though I was getting the GI Bill as well. Also, I am using my TA for my masters and its great that I will complete it before incuring extra ADSO.

The Guard can use the GoArmyEd website so I will definitely take advantage of it.

Comment

I agree with the good Colonel. Community college is very affordable and can put you in the workforce almost immediately. The key is finding what is interesting (need to like what your doing), can put money in your pocket, and most importantly have the aptitude to learn and then apply those skills.

I oversee a collision repair center and a entry level grad(nashville auto & diesel/ Wyotech) with average skills can earn $15.00-$17.00per hour; Master techs earn about $28.00-$38.00 per hour. It is a career not a job. Requires CEU's to keep up with repair methodology, OSHA, and insurance guidelines. A trade school /community college education can turn into a lucrative career. My .02 and YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by jc091393 View Post
                    Thank you all for the replies.I really appreciate it.My intentions with a degree in criminal justice would be to become a police officer or state trooper. The reason I'm looking at UoP is because of the flexibility they offer.

I'd like to get a full time job to support myself and move out of my brother's home as soon as I get back from basic but I'd also like to take college courses because I eventually want to be an Officer. That's why UoP seems so appealing. I dont know of any other options that would allow me to do that?
                    I STRONGLY urge you to reconsider your major. As mentioned earlier, Criminal Justice as a major is almost never a requirement for a law enforcement job. If you had a degree in basket weaving it would really hold as much weight to a police department as crim justice. The reason is the biggest hurdles to overcome are the interview and background investigation. I have seen it 100 times where people went to school for criminal justice and got denied or disqualified for things they never thought would interfer. Accidents happens, too many speeding tickets happen, that Article 15 you got which was no big deal happened, the fact your cousin is a drug dealer happened, the list of X factors is endless when going into that career. I'm not telling you this will happen, but no one can see what tommorrow brings. Maybe you don't pass the Phsycological test, polygraph, whatever.......Don't spend four years working on something that gives you ONE career path when you can go to school for something that give you two or three, also known as a backup plan. You will be much more competitive to a law enforcement agency if you are able to do something the other candidates cannot. Get a degree in a foreign lauguage, tax, accounting, something. Trust me.

Comment

UoP is one you want to avoid at all costs. No one takes thier degree plans seriously, even to the point where you will be discriminated against in the workforce if you apply with that degree on your resume. The stigma is HORRIBLE. I flat out refuse to even interview someone who sports a degree from them.

You best bet is to look a the local Community Colleges like LTC advised or look into a credible 4yr University as many of them are now offering online programs that would suit your needs.

Comment

UoP equals ITT Tech

Also, it is way cheaper just to go through your hometown college, and go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by dva5222 View Post
                          UoP equals ITT Tech

Also, it is way cheaper just to go through your hometown college, and go that route.
                          Yeah but doesnt ITT Tech hook you up with a job.

Comment

Nobody "hooks you up" with a job. Don't fall for that line of ****. It takes an hour to find and apply for several jobs out there (thanks to the invention of the internet). And less than a week to craft, received critique and tweek a solid resume.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelPC View Post
                              Yeah but doesnt ITT Tech hook you up with a job.
                              Right. And if you answer that email from the friendly nigerian man you will also find out that you won 5 million from the UK lottery. Just send in your social.

Comment

Working...
                              X