Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTA: help getting started?

Okay,

I was accepted to a college. I am trying to see if I can afford it with the help from the guard. I need some help getting started though.
    I can't access the minuteman website because I don't have a CAC card. Does that mean I can't apply for FTA until I get back from Basic Training? I won't be back in time to apply for the semester... OR do I just need a CAC card to get in and then can apply after I get in (as in, log in with someone else's cac card)?

I really appreciate any help!

Thank you!

Re: FTA: help getting started?

Contact the Education Services Officer from your state.

Comment

I did call my ESO. He said that he couldn't help me, but rather I'd have to get it figured out at my unit. I will when I go down this weekend. I was just curious if anyone could give me some info now. He also muttered something about minuteman isn't going to be around much longer, and that soon it will be goarmyed or something? lol, i feel like i could run miles and miles after all the runarounds i've been doing trying to get any information!

Comment

Originally posted by bettywhite View Post
        Okay,

I was accepted to a college. I am trying to see if I can afford it with the help from the guard. I need some help getting started though.
        I can't access the minuteman website because I don't have a CAC card. Does that mean I can't apply for FTA until I get back from Basic Training? I won't be back in time to apply for the semester... OR do I just need a CAC card to get in and then can apply after I get in (as in, log in with someone else's cac card)?

I really appreciate any help!

Thank you!
        If its an online app and needs to be submitted from the portal then you cannot apply with someone's CAC. If the form needs to be printed, then have someone login to the site and print the form for you.

I suggest that you get your CAC (if possible) ASAP.

Comment

I did this back in January. Be smart and go to your local AAFES PX and buy a CAC reader for your computer/laptop. They're like $25 and they come in handy when you need to log onto your AKO, iPERMS, FTA, etc. The minuteman website won't be up much longer because they are switching, Army-wide to a single educational benefits website to better keep track of the money spent and requested by Soldiers for educational needs. I do not know when exactly this website will affect the Guard, or even whatever your state is in, but for NOW the Minuteman website is your best bet. Once you log on with your CAC reader and CAC Card, it's simple from there. You just follow the instructions and list the classes you're registered for. I recommend you have the page of your classes/schedule open on your computer while you're doing the FTA registration, they'll ask you to put in course numbers and stuff like that. However, a lot of people I've talked to in my state (TX) have only been getting $3,000 for their FTA as opposed to t he $4500 pitched to us by our recruiters. (Don't know if anyone else has had this issue, and if so if they can explain to me what the deal is). Good luck with your FTA though, be sure to get the ball rolling early, it takes time to kick in.

Comment

Thank you!
            Ugh, 3,000 instead of 4,500 will really hurt my chances lol. Wellll, as the ESO said to me, "Recruiters lie."

But anyway, I will look into the CAC reader.... but is there anywhere I can get my cac card now?? Or do I have to wait until basic training? A reader won't help me without my card lol.

Comment

Originally posted by bettywhite View Post
              is there anywhere I can get my cac card now??
              Perhaps a DEERS office ???

Comment

Working...
              X