X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLRP Issue - HELP!!!

I enlisted last May under the OCS option (09S) and had SLRP in my contract. I knew I'm supposed to get some paper around 90 days out from my enlistment anniversary, but haven't received anything. So, I called my state education office to see why I hadn't received anything. They told me the problem was that I was still in a training status since I hadn't completed AIT and wasn't MOS qualified. This is where the fun begins.

Since I enlisted as an 09S, I won't go to AIT. My "backup MOS" is 25S, which is stated in my contract, but I won't ever got to AIT for that since I'm going straight into OCS. So, after I explained that to them, I was told by going to OCS I forfeit my SLRP. They suggested that I go to AIT get MOS qualified, then go to OCS. I'm already in Phase 0 of OCS and going to AOCS this summer. Obviously I don't have time to go to AIT right now and really have no need to go either.

The real issue here is that none of this was explained to me when I enlisted. I was told I could enlisted as 09S and still qualify for SLRP. The education office did say that the policy changed in October so that 09S is eligible, but since I enlisted in May I didn't qualify. Now, I don't know what to do or even who to talk to about this. SLRP is a huge benefit that I'd be losing. It was one of the main draws into the Guard for me.

Should I talk to my recruiter, my unit (whom I've never even drilled with btw), my Phase 0 commander? I'm just kind of still in shock and don't know where to go with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: SLRP Issue - HELP!!!

you can actually see SLRP in your contract and 09S is in your contract? sounds like they actually wrote something in there they knew was impossible. If you can actually show this, take your information to the Inspector General, and see if they can do something for you. If the IG tells you to go to 25S AIT, and delay your commission, it might be worth it.( if your loans are in the tens of thousands of dollars, it's probably worth it to delay commissioning) Since SLRP is standard now for 09S, maybe they can "tear up" your contract and rewrite it? very doubtful, but since it appears that they intentionally wrote something they can't deliver, you have a chance.

Whatever you do, don't waste any time talking to a recruiter or your unit, because time is of the essence. You need action tomorrow. rats, I just realized this is a week ago. What have you done in the past week?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to contact my states education officer, but haven't heard back from him. I don't have a huge amount of outstanding loans, only about $6500, so going to AIT wouldn't really be worth it too me. I know that SLRP makes me ineligible for an accession bonus, but if I'm now ineligible for SLRP can I get an accession bonus? The bonus may be a better option than SLRP, if I can qualify for it instead.

Comment

Similar issue; I am also 09S and have SLRP in my contract (joined NOV 2010) I just found out that they wont make any payments until I am MOSQ which for an officer is after BOLC is completed. It would have been nice to know that up front.

Comment

Get your commission. I believe the Officer Accession Bonus is $20K in my state, and the max the SLRP will pay in a year is 15% or $500, whichever is greater. So do the math, not sure what your accession bonus will be.... Most likely you could just pay the small amount of loans you have with the bonus.

Comment

wow, did not know that. they do have an out; completing BOLC. So, if somebody is enlisting 09S today, in March, optimistically say they go to basic this summer and accelerated this winter, then a year from then get their BOLC completed, then the Guard starts paying!

So, the quickest anybody could get it would be ....example enlist in January, complete basic early April, go acclerated in summer, attend BOLC sometime during the next calendar year, for a total of 2 years.

A more likely event would be enlisting in January, to to basic, attending traditional for 16 months, then BOLC in another year, for a total of 3 years+!

Comment

Just an update.

I talked to my state's education officer. He was out of town, so he referred me back to the education office. I spoke to the same SGT and was told the same thing. I would forfeit eligibility if I did not attend AIT. So, I'm back where I started.

I've looked back over my contract and can't even find the mention of an MOS other than 09S.

Even though I don't have a huge amount of loans, SLRP would be helpful. It's still money that I would have to pay out of my pocket for my loans. Even if I don't get SLRP and can qualify for an accession bonus, it seems like it is a very difficult bonus to get. So, if I don't get SLRP, I may end up with no type of bonus whatsoever. Don't get me wrong, I didn't join just for a bonus, but it would be nice.

I guess I'm stuck again...

Comment

You will not recieve a SLRP payment untill you have finished 09S.

This is your "MOSQ"

Comment

Working...
                X