Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching from Reserves.....keep SLRP ?

I'm a contracted SMP cadet in the Reserves. If I switch to the National Guard (before I commission) will I be able to keep the SLRP I currently have in my initial enlistment contract ? I have not used the SLRP as of yet but just recently acquired student loans. I'm in Ohio.

Thanks
    Last edited by Wayne09; February 17th, 2011, 02:34 PM.

Re: switching from Reserves.....keep SLRP ?

Originally posted by Wayne09 View Post
    I'm a contracted SMP cadet in the Reserves. If I switch to the National Guard (before I commission) will I be able to keep the SLRP I currently have in my initial enlistment contract ? I have not used the SLRP as of yet but just recently acquired student loans. I'm in Ohio.

Thanks
    The quick answer is NO. But, you still might have the enlistment option from the Guard, to sign up for the SLRP. You would need to check with Ohio State education office or a local Guard recruiter.

Comment

Didn't know that you could acquire "new loans" to the SLRP, thought it was only good for loans due at the time of SLRP contract.

Comment

Originally posted by richierich View Post
        Didn't know that you could acquire "new loans" to the SLRP, thought it was only good for loans due at the time of SLRP contract.
        The Soldier must have one or more qualifying, disbursed loans in his/her name at the time of enlistment.
        Qualifying loans established and disbursed after the date of enlistment can be eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by richierich View Post
          In the Reserves it works differently than in the Guard. In the Reserves you can continue to acquire new student loans and have them paid. However the downside is that you only get FTA, no state benefits like in the Guard.

Comment

Working...
          X