X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post 9-11 GI Bill/Guard Deployment

I'll be deploying to Egypt pretty soon and I'm wondering if the 12 months will count towards the new GI bill. I'm told we will get hazardous duty pay, but I'm not sure if that really means anything in terms of benefits.

Thanks

Re: Post 9-11 GI Bill/Guard Deployment

Are you activated under Title 10 orders (federal)? If so, you qualify. If it's AGR/ADSW/Title 32, you do not.

Comment

"Deploying to Egypt"? My guess is that you're going on Operation BRIGHT STAR, an overseas Annual Training for 3-4 weeks. This will not be enough time to qualify for the P911-GIBill. The other post raises some key points.

Comment

It's still a deployment spot? About as uncommon as Cuba. One our other NJ Guard units was sent there. I am pretty sure he is going there under title 10 and WOULD qualify for 9/11 GI Bill.

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead View Post
          Are you activated under Title 10 orders (federal)? If so, you qualify. If it's AGR/ADSW/Title 32, you do not.
          Not true any more, check out: http://www.gibill.va.gov/post-911/po...1_changes.html

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
            It's still a deployment spot? About as uncommon as Cuba. One our other NJ Guard units was sent there. I am pretty sure he is going there under title 10 and WOULD qualify for 9/11 GI Bill.
            Yeah if its the MFO mission peace keeping mission between egypt / isreal, then yes. He's going to also count as a veteran as were next to a body of water to a combat zone. Good deployment spot :-D I was one of the units deployer over there while in NJ 2004/2005

edit: they also changed the deployment from 6mon to 12 mon, we were the last unit with 6months deployment over there. GOOD LUCK! Bring a labtop, you'll want it.

ps. I BELIEVE that you are going to want to do ch. 1607 benefits as you are actually drilling solider, you will qualify for it. THEN WHEN you are out of the guard, you can start your post 9/11 GI bill. Thats what I did....since I'm on IRR status right now, I can not do my original ch 1607 GI Bill BUT I can collect on my post 9/11 GI bill. Talk to someone about it to verify you can when you get back tho, changes are sure to happen in a year.
            Last edited by SGT Bart; January 21st, 2011, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richierich View Post
              Nice! This is great, puts me at about 3 years total active service.

Comment

Once you have the 1607 benefits and have complete the Title 10, you will have the option to convert over to 9-11 GI Bill even while serving in the ARNG. I did this afer Iraq, and then shared my benefit with my wife (I did have to extend to meet the requirements) but it was a fairly easy process and all covered on the GI Bill site (a previous post has a link) and the application for change from one to the other can alos be done on the site.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Bart View Post
                  ps. I BELIEVE that you are going to want to do ch. 1607 benefits as you are actually drilling solider, you will qualify for it. THEN WHEN you are out of the guard, you can start your post 9/11 GI bill. Thats what I did....since I'm on IRR status right now, I can not do my original ch 1607 GI Bill BUT I can collect on my post 9/11 GI bill. Talk to someone about it to verify you can when you get back tho, changes are sure to happen in a year.
                  Not bad advice, but let me add a caveat. A Soldier can only receive 48 months of benefits total if combining different chapters. Don't miss out on the higher benefits available under the Post 911 GI Bill by trying to sve them.

Comment

Originally posted by richierich View Post
                    Apologies, I didn't know this went through. This is huge news for many of us who went on Title 32 ADSW orders...

Comment

Yes its MFO. Thanks for the heads up, I was worried it would be title 32 orders, but I guess it doesn't matter. Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but can I use the Post 9/11 directly, or would I have to go through something like REAP?

Oh and btw, I've already got the laptop and Xbox ready to go. Loooootsss of downtime, even for us grunts

Comment

Working...
                      X