Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swearing in tomorrow! Can't decide on my MOS.

First off, I'm 26, married with 2 kids. I've finally decided to do something I've wanted to do for quite a while now.

I went to meps today and took the asvab, I got a 95 on that so no issues there. I just can't decide for sure what mos I want. According to my recruiter we only have about 6 options available in my area right now. They are 42a 74d 88m 91b 91d 92r. I think my top 2 right now are 92r and 42a, possible 74d. I really don't want to do the others, I've been turning wrenches since I was 10 years old and don't want that as a career anymore. I am 2 months away from my Associates degree in business so that is why I was thinking about the 42a, but not sure thats quite right for me. 92r sounds exciting and being Airborne sounds sexy too. I don't know alot about 74d, we do have a chem unit in my area and I think that's where this position is open. Ideally I would have liked to get into the 35 series but my recruiter said that openings in my area are scarce for that field.

I like to use my intelligence and problem solving skills, so I really don't want something that is just grunt work, no offense to those in different fields, just looking for what suits me best, and what I feel would allow me to be the biggest asset to the Guard that I can. What should I do, can any one with experience in my top 3 chime in before I leave for meps in the morning. I would appreciate it.

Re: Swearing in tomorrow! Can't decide on my MOS.

Think about will this MOS help me in a civilian career?

Comment

Well about an hour after posting this, my recruiter called me. He told me he just got a current list of available mos and from the original 6 that were open last week, my top three were gone while the others remained. The new additions were 13b, 92f, and 15t. So I ended up going with something that wasn't originally on my list but I think it will fit me better anyways. I enlisted for 15T, and will not be working with black hawks in my unit, but rather the brand new Lakotas that are supposed to arrive in my unit shortly after I complete training. My ship date is 20120404 to Ft. Jackson for bct then ait at Ft. Eustis

Comment

Oh wow, nice. I was going to enlist 15T. I wish I did to be honest. We have an aviation battalion (or used to before they deployed) and I always went down there to ride and see what they did. They have the Lakotas and they're pretty sweet.

Comment

Very cool...best of luck to you!

Comment

Very nice and congrats. Good luck at basic and trade school.

Comment

My uncle did airplane mechanics in the Chair...I mean...Air Force. After he did his time, he got out and got a great job working for Delta Airlines doing mechanics. I know you didn't want to turn a wrench again, but really this MOS could put you into something on the civilian side that will pay good money to have you on board. Aside from that, if you find that you simply do not like turning a wrench, you can always reclass to something else.

Comment

One thing I have never done, that I have always wanted to do is mechanical work. I don't get along well with diesel fumes though, but I can handle gasoline just fine. I'm sure you will do great especially with your prior experience.

Comment

Working...
                X