Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't post in engineer thread for some reason, but what about Mechanics?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't post in engineer thread for some reason, but what about Mechanics?

I was talking to a classmate of mine, and he said he had a Workbase Learning Site working with what's called a "Field Maintenance Shop" he was working there for a couple of months. I asked my Trade Boss if he was telling the truth, and sure as heck he did do it.

He told me the Mechanics all had the same job, but they worked on every vehicle in the "Motor Pool", and said they were incredible guys and a gal to work with. But he also said to not believe a Recruiter if he tells you the only thing a Mechanic works on is the cars, and that they work on every piece of equipment in the Army's arsenal outside of an Main Battle Tank or Infantry Fighting Vehicle. But he did say that a Mechanic there has worked on Bradleys. His job there was to fix up the building and fix up their grounds. When I asked him what kind of equipment they had he diverts the question like they were military intelligence or something. But unfortunately it's a seasonal workbase site I may never get to go to for internship

So if this is true, what kind of "equipment" is going to be at a "Motor Pool"? He wont tell me what they had outside of "Just vehicles and stuff". The place he worked at is just down the road from my school, but we are restricted from walking off campus so I can't look at the place without getting in trouble by my school.

But he said it was a great time working for them, and he learned a lot. So much that he's going to Enlist to be a Mechanic himself so he can work with them and the vehicles and equipment stuff. but he wont go into any details at all. Other students that have snuck off campus to look through the chainlink fence over there have said they have a four wheeled tank there, but my classmate never says anything when we ask him what it is. because it has four wheels a bunch of armor it looks like and a turret on top. The guys who snuck over there says it looked like it had guns on it but again, my classmate wont say anything about it at all. Not even what its called.

So do "Field Maintenance Shops" like build classified vehicles or something? The guys who snuck over there also said they have wierd "angled trucks" there and armored tractors. But the only guy on our campus who has actually worked there wont tell us anything. He just smiles, tells us mechanics do a lot more then their job is called, and walks away from us.

So what goes on in a Field Maintenance Shop? And what exactly do Army Mechanics do? I have read they all have different jobs like wheeled mechanic generator mechanic and stuff, but if I'm understanding what he means by what he did say. Wheel Mechanics work on more then just the HMMWVs I found on the Tech Manuals?

Oh and happy thanksgiving!

Re: Can't post in engineer thread for some reason, but what about Mechanics?

Happy Thanksgiving

Comment

How do you get a "Joint Contract"? I am dead serious. I got word from a dorm mate that my classmate and another guy from Electrical Trade are getting together to Enlist into the same unit, but they are picking different jobs. Can anyone do this? Or is it a special contract?

My classmate is joining as a Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic, and the Electrical guy is joining to be a Generator Mechanic. My dorm mate was saying how the electrical student was stupid and would be stuck being some lawnmower mechanic. But he replied that he was going to be the subject matter expert for mechanical electrical and work on the electrical stuff in the trucks, too. Apparently my class mate laughed at my dorm mate and said he shouldn't make ignorant statements like that because a "Mechanic is a Mechanic" and he'll be working at McDonalds while him and the Electrical Student become Apprentice Diesel Mechanics.

They plan to help teach each other each others jobs after they join the Guard. He said all Mechanics work together for the common mission, and he was a ****** to believe any employer wouldn't take advantage of cross training skills and making an employee universal to make that employee a more productive employee, and that the Army was no different.

Is this true? Can you really join the same unit and work with other people like that? Or teach each other stuff like that?

Comment

Ok, so I got a hold of my classmate on Facebook, he's going to get me in contact with his National Guard Recruiter. He said the only real info a Recruiter can give me, is whether or not the job has an opening in the unit you want to join, set you up for an ASVAB test, and tell you about basic training.

So he told me to figure out what career fields I am most interested in, which of course that is the Engineers, and I'll put Ordnance Corps as second, and Signal Corps as third like he said I should. He said the specific job shouldn't be much concern because you'll do the job of everyone else in the field, you're just the subject matter expert for that specific type of equipment or job. Like Mechanics are all Mechanics and fix everything thats broken, and do daily, semi-annual and annual services on the stuff your unit has. And that in the Engineers they are most likely the same, in that everyone learns to do everyones job.

He's working on dropping some weight and the Electrical Student is getting in better shape. I found out they aren't going to be in the same platoon, but they are going to be in the same Company and working in the same motor pool. He still wont tell me about any vehicles or what that tank with wheels is called. But he says I should figure out career field, job or equipment I'd rather be the SME in first, and then figure out units, get the "Paragraph and Line"? from the Recruiter, and sign on and wait for BCT/AIT?

So is this info good? ^^^ or is it not so good?

Comment

Ok, yes it's possible to join the same unit as your friend as long as they have the vacancies.

Now...I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again. You seriously over think everything WAY too much! As a PVT coming out of AIT you really wont have a wealth of knoweldge on fixing things, but you will know how to look it up in the manual. You wont be an "expert" anything after AIT, it will take years of actually doing your job.

Comment

the post didnt come through lol I guess I had to write this sentence to post; then edit it so I can paste my original post.

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
            Ok, yes it's possible to join the same unit as your friend as long as they have the vacancies.

Now...I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again. You seriously over think everything WAY too much! As a PVT coming out of AIT you really wont have a wealth of knoweldge on fixing things, but you will know how to look it up in the manual. You wont be an "expert" anything after AIT, it will take years of actually doing your job.
            +1 and then some

FE, it is good seeing someone doing their homework and then some prior to making a commitment in serving their country but you are going a bit overboard because you get your initial information from people who are in the process of joining or never served. That is why the military has recruiters in providing the basic information that will be required of you as a junior enlisted in the military or as an officer candidate.

Your audience here are combat veterans with the regular posters in having a combined total of 100 years of military service. So take it from us on the message that we are trying to give you.

I am so full now due to numerous dishes of turkey and glasses of liquor and having fellow comrades and their families over at my house. Ultimately, that is what serving is about. Experiencing a comraderie and knowing great Americans that few can truly understand.

Good luck on your journey if you decide to take this mission.
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; November 25th, 2011, 12:43 AM. Reason: clearer message

Comment

Working...
            X