Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Is the Guard beneficial to public/private sector intelligence or contracting jobs? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Guard beneficial to public/private sector intelligence or contracting jobs?

Hey all,

One of my big reasons for enlisting in the Army Nat'l Guard is the training I will hopefully receive in the 35 series specifically. Intel has been the position I've wanted in the military since I first started considering it as an option.

My question is, will this training be a benefit that I would be able to put on a resume if I were trying to get a job with a defense contractor company, or perhaps a government position in the DoD or CIA? Are any of the 35 series positions more conducive to a civilian intel career than any of the others?

Thanks.

Re: Is the Guard beneficial to public/private sector intelligence or contracting jobs

https://www.cool.army.mil/search.htm
    try this link

Comment

Re: Is the Guard beneficial to public/private sector intelligence or contracting jobs

https://www.cool.army.mil/search.htm
      the link above will gve you some information.

Comment

Cool site, thanks for the link

Comment

The greatest benefit of the guard seems to be the free tuition in my opinion. That will be much more important to your career than MOS training.

Comment

Originally posted by Major General Discharge View Post
            The greatest benefit of the guard seems to be the free tuition in my opinion. That will be much more important to your career than MOS training.
            That is a very funny name to post with.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              That is a very funny name to post with.
              Thank you, I don't know why it just popped into my head while I was registering a name.

Comment

Originally posted by JDTC View Post
                Hey all,

One of my big reasons for enlisting in the Army Nat'l Guard is the training I will hopefully receive in the 35 series specifically. Intel has been the position I've wanted in the military since I first started considering it as an option.

My question is, will this training be a benefit that I would be able to put on a resume if I were trying to get a job with a defense contractor company, or perhaps a government position in the DoD or CIA? Are any of the 35 series positions more conducive to a civilian intel career than any of the others?

Thanks.
                It totally depends on your MOS and the EXPERIENCE you have. AIT is nice on a resume but isn't going to lock you into a job offer like several deployments will. Also consider signing on with a contractor while persuing a USG job (again, more experience). The biggest thing that any 35 series job will give is your clearance but most jobs require at least a CI poly as well.

Good luck.

Comment

If you want to get into the intel field, enlist in an intel MOS and work into the NCO ranks. I'm in the field on the civilian side. AIT + any follow on schools and experience is great.

When myself or my office (or those I've worked for) look to hire, if its a vet we look for an NCO or senior officer, a junior enlisted or junior officer is kinda not as useful. For that we can get an intern who's been through the civilian side of the schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Major General Discharge View Post
                    Tuition for my state will be cut in half by spring. Expect that to spread.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                      Tuition for my state will be cut in half by spring. Expect that to spread.
                      Is your State in debt? We got oil money up in here. Plus we never were in debt. But I agree with you on general terms that may spread to States that are strapped for cash and don't care too much about soldiers.

Comment

Well, I enlisted as a 35F and got reclassed to 35N for a deployment. Did the reclass to 35N in 2010, and a deployment in 2011. Started dropping my resume on various websites (Clearance Jobs, ClearedConnections, Monster, LinkedIn, etc.), and I've been getting invitations to apply for various jobs here and overseas ever since. I went with a contracting company here at Ft Gordon, GA, and should be starting contract work in October. From what I've seen, 35N and 35P are hot-button MOSs in the civilian world.

Of course, that's contractor work. To be a NSA or another three-letter employee, a degree is a requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Daric Wade View Post
                          Well, I enlisted as a 35F and got reclassed to 35N for a deployment. Did the reclass to 35N in 2010, and a deployment in 2011. Started dropping my resume on various websites (Clearance Jobs, ClearedConnections, Monster, LinkedIn, etc.), and I've been getting invitations to apply for various jobs here and overseas ever since. I went with a contracting company here at Ft Gordon, GA, and should be starting contract work in October. From what I've seen, 35N and 35P are hot-button MOSs in the civilian world.

Of course, that's contractor work. To be a NSA or another three-letter employee, a degree is a requirement.
                          While a degree helps, it is not a requirement for employment.

Comment

Originally posted by lindy View Post
                            While a degree helps, it is not a requirement for employment.
                            Fair enough, but substitute requirements are fairly substantial and usually beyond the scope of what a Soldier starting an intelligence career would have. One job I looked at had requirements of 2 years' experience and a degree or eight years of experience without a degree.

Calling college a 'requirement' for the Agency was a mistake on my part, but the alternate criteria make it effectively true for people enlisting in SIGINT MOS's and hoping to slide right into the Agency.

Comment

If you have a TS clearance + an in-demand degree such as engineering or computer science, you're golden.

Comment

Working...
                              X