Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping my jump status "Active".

Guys,
    I'm in Air Assault unit, but would love to keep jumping out of planes and keep my jump status “active”. In my state (IL) we don't have airborne unit (with exception of Special Forces). Any ideas what can I do to make it happen? Maybe someone from neighboring states would harbor me during “jump drill”? Will do any work (almost) to pay for it!

Re: Keeping my jump status "Active".

Originally posted by robert178 View Post
    Guys,
    I'm in Air Assault unit, but would love to keep jumping out of planes and keep my jump status “active”. In my state (IL) we don't have airborne unit (with exception of Special Forces). Any ideas what can I do to make it happen? Maybe someone from neighboring states would harbor me during “jump drill”? Will do any work (almost) to pay for it!
    If you were with the 82nd or 173rd; you will get your jump pay? I am curious if you serve in a Guard Airborne unit, do you rate jump pay equal to active or a portion.

Any airborne can answer that?

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
      If you were with the 82nd or 173rd; you will get your jump pay? I am curious if you serve in a Guard Airborne unit, do you rate jump pay equal to active or a portion.

Yeah when in 82nd or 173rd you get some extra money, but i don't care about extra pay, i just love to jump...;-)

Comment

There are Airborne units in the ARNG, but the most is Special Forces; there are LRS units, a couple of Special Ops Support units, and on Airborne Infantry Unit that spand a few states (143rd). You cannot just "strap-hang" to jump, as you must have active, or permissive, Hazardous Duty orders allowing you to perform parachute duty. You would actually have to transfer to one of these unts to get on Jump Status, and then actively jump.

The ARNG and USAR units that jump, recieve a prorated amount of money for thier "jump pay" based on the number of MUTAs or order days performed. If you work the whole month uyou get all of the "jump pay".
        Last edited by LRSU_Dog; July 15th, 2011, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
          There are Airborne units in the ARNG, but the most is Special Forces; there are LRS units, a couple of Special Ops Support units, and on Airborne Infantry Unit that spand a few states (143rd). You cannot just "strap-hang" to jump, as you must have active, or permissive, Hazardous Duty orders allowing you to perform parachute duty. You would actually have to transfer to one of these unts to get on Jump Status, and then actively jump.

The ARNG and USAR units that jump, recieve a prorated amount of money for thier "jump pay" based on the number of MUTAs or order days performed. If you work the whole month uyou get all of the "jump pay".
          OK, so basically this is the end of road for me. There is no way i will get permission to transfer. Thanks for your input.

Comment

There is nothing that says you cannot request a transfer or IST. If you do it correct, then it is not a matter of "no way" - it depends on what you want to do, and what level of perserverance in working with your current and possible future unit to make it happen.

Comment

Why not stay in your current unit anyway? If it is an Air Assault unit then you should be in an ASI 2B coded slot meaning they will send you to Air Assault School(at some point assuming there is funding). Air Assault is pretty fun and it does offer many usefull skills that pertain to the modern battlefield along with skills that you can actually take away from the course and teach others. I also completely understand the desire to get more jumps in.

Comment

Sorry, my last post was meant for you. If you're inan airborne unit in the Guard, it should be because you like jumping, not for the ******** lack of extra pay.

Comment

Sorry, my last post was meant for you. If you're inan airborne unit in the Guard, it should be because you like jumping, not for the ******** lack of extra pay.

Comment

Jump pay in the guard is ridiculous. When I was in Bragg last year, I asked my friend about how often he jumps in the 82nd, he said they jumped enough to stay current, or about 4 times a year. We were jumping or trying to (wind permitting) every month just about and we get like a "prorated" 15-20 bucks a month while AD gets $150 a month. I called a Congressman explaining that just because we're Nat'l Guard doesn't mean we have special parachutes that are any safer than anyone else's

Comment

Originally posted by YesWeCan2008 View Post
                      I called a Congressman explaining that just because we're Nat'l Guard doesn't mean we have special parachutes that are any safer than anyone else's
                      Amen! Every jump with TD10 when is windy is like lottery - you are a winner if you are able to land in one piece! Anyhow, i think i will try to go for license with USPA and keep jumping on the civilian side...

Comment

Jump pay in the guard is ridiculous. When I was in Bragg last year, I asked my friend about how often he jumps in the 82nd, he said they jumped enough to stay current, or about 4 times a year. We were jumping or trying to (wind permitting) every month just about and we get like a "prorated" 15-20 bucks a month while AD gets $150 a month. I called a Congressman explaining that just because we're Nat'l Guard doesn't mean we have special parachutes that are any safer than anyone else's
                        If I was the congressman I would have asked you if you wanted me to look into BAS/seperate ration money as well, since National Guard soldiers also require food everday of the month, just like their active counterparts.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                          If I was the congressman I would have asked you if you wanted me to look into BAS/seperate ration money as well, since National Guard soldiers also require food everday of the month, just like their active counterparts.
                          It's different, if we're maintaining the same qualifications as active duty, we should get paid the same. Jumping is a specialty and a hazardous duty, eating food isn't. If they pay us a "prorated" jump pay, we shouldn't have to jump as often as active duty for the money, not that I'm complaining, money is no reason to jump, but it's different treatment.

Comment

It's different, if we're maintaining the same qualifications as active duty, we should get paid the same. Jumping is a specialty and a hazardous duty, eating food isn't. If they pay us a "prorated" jump pay, we shouldn't have to jump as often as active duty for the money, not that I'm complaining, money is no reason to jump, but it's different treatment.
                            Its not different. Active Component is paid for days on jump status, just as you are. It is no different then pilots getting the same prorated amounts. Should the active component happen to jump 7 times one month, the dont get extra pay, they are paid for the 30 day period they were on jump status. You are on jump status for two days. If an active soldier completes his jumps for the month, and ETS's on the 20th, wanna take a wild guess what he gets?? 2/3 of his jump pay.

In addition, its no different then basic army tasks. We are all required to maintain the same standard whether it be PT tests, weapons qual, and so on. In that respect I guess we should all get full active duty pay....

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                              Its not different. Active Component is paid for days on jump status, just as you are. It is no different then pilots getting the same prorated amounts. Should the active component happen to jump 7 times one month, the dont get extra pay, they are paid for the 30 day period they were on jump status. You are on jump status for two days. If an active soldier completes his jumps for the month, and ETS's on the 20th, wanna take a wild guess what he gets?? 2/3 of his jump pay.

In addition, its no different then basic army tasks. We are all required to maintain the same standard whether it be PT tests, weapons qual, and so on. In that respect I guess we should all get full active duty pay....
                              I concur with your response.

Off-topic but related; have you now heard, they want to consider changing combat pay to pro-rated amounts.

It is all relative and airborne soldiers that are not actually jumping; participate and have exercises in ground jump training and PT.

Also consider, there are alot more perks than simply pay.

Comment

Working...
                              X