X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change MOS

Let say I'm going to enlist for 4 years and already selected my MOS as MP, now can I change my MOS after2 years to something else. How does that work in national guard? Please advise. Thanks

Re: Change MOS

You could if they have slots. It's not guarenteed.

Comment

You can check your regional training institute for your state to see what MOS they offer. If you get it approved you can go to the RTI and change your MOS instead of doing annual training.

Comment

Also if I get my 90 College credits can I get promoted rigth away or atleast apply of becoming an NCO officer. My recruiter said I'm going to start as E3 because of my 60 college credit. I did searh for becoming an office but he said you need atleast 2 years of service and Bachelor degree to become an NCO. Any advise on this please. I got my paper works ready and I'm ready to enlist next Tuesday. Thanks again!

Comment

Tod,

NCO is moving up through the enlisted ranks and earning the position of corporal and above. No bachelors degree is required. To become a commissioned officer, a bachelors degree is required. I do not know what are the current requirements but I heard last that a degree was necessary to attend OCS.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion..yes that's what I mean OCS. Thanks for clearing this up for me smcityslicker.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
              Tod,

NCO is moving up through the enlisted ranks and earning the position of corporal and above. No bachelors degree is required. To become a commissioned officer, a bachelors degree is required. I do not know what are the current requirements but I heard last that a degree was necessary to attend OCS.
              I am not sure if it is the same in every state, but ehre in Michigan:

60 college credits - may apply for and attend traditional OCS, 90 credits needed for commission

90 college credits - may apply for and attend AOCS

You do not need your degree to apply or attend eith OCS, but you will need to have it completed before you can make Captain.

Comment

So right now I have 60 credits going as E3 and if I do get my 90 credits can I apply for OCS or maybe get promoted as E4 or do I have to serve more time in the service and maybe get promoted as E4 with my BA degree. How does promotions works in the national guard?

Comment

Originally posted by Tod22 View Post
                  So right now I have 60 credits going as E3 and if I do get my 90 credits can I apply for OCS or maybe get promoted as E4 or do I have to serve more time in the service and maybe get promoted as E4 with my BA degree. How does promotions works in the national guard?
                  You can already apply for OCS, and begin attending, with 60 credits. Here where I am, 90 are needed for commission of traditional OCS (13-14 mos) or application & attendance to Accelerated OCS (8 weeks).

Someone else will have to chime in on getting promoted to E-4 and the requirements; I am 09S so I only know the OCS options, as of right now.

Comment

For promotion in the enlisted ranks you need to meet the time in service and the time in grade requirements to move to the next step. These promotions are automatic for E-1 through E-4 provided you are not flagged. Once you become an NCO then it is a matter of passing the promotion board to move to the next NCO rank. You still have to meet the TIS and TIG requirements and pass the board. Typically there is a point cuttoff for your state that determines who gets promoted. If you are above the cutoff line then you are eligeable for promotion within your MOS. From there you are ranked against your peers to determine who is at the top of the Order of Merit list to determine who gets promoted first. If there are only 4 slots for promotion for your MOS within your state but there are 6 people that boarded and made the point cuttoff only the top 4 will get the promotion. If there are only 4 slots for promotion for your MOS and 6 people boarded but only 2 made the point cuttoff then only 2 will get promoted.

I should note that not all states have a point cuttoff. Some states will simply have a promotion board and rank everybody on an OML and if there are 4 slots and 6 people board the top 4 get promoted reguardless of how many total points they actually have.

Each system has its adavantages and disadvantages. I'm not a fan of the latter system because I believe an NCO should work hard for self improvement to increase their points. Correspondence and civilain education expands the NCO's knowledge and abilities making them a better asset. The downside to this is a crappy NCO could be at the top of the promotion list because they maxed out these categories. Wheres a really experienced and seasoned NCO could be lower on the rung because their civilian job is too demanding to allow time to take college courses or correspondednce.I also feel the NG should have an appearance board for E-6 and E-7.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                      Each system has its adavantages and disadvantages. I'm not a fan of the latter system because I believe an NCO should work hard for self improvement to increase their points. Correspondence and civilain education expands the NCO's knowledge and abilities making them a better asset. The downside to this is a crappy NCO could be at the top of the promotion list because they maxed out these categories. Wheres a really experienced and seasoned NCO could be lower on the rung because their civilian job is too demanding to allow time to take college courses or correspondednce.I also feel the NG should have an appearance board for E-6 and E-7.
                      Unfortunately, I've seen this more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
                        For promotion in the enlisted ranks you need to meet the time in service and the time in grade requirements to move to the next step. These promotions are automatic for E-1 through E-4 provided you are not flagged. Once you become an NCO then it is a matter of passing the promotion board to move to the next NCO rank. You still have to meet the TIS and TIG requirements and pass the board. Typically there is a point cuttoff for your state that determines who gets promoted. If you are above the cutoff line then you are eligeable for promotion within your MOS. From there you are ranked against your peers to determine who is at the top of the Order of Merit list to determine who gets promoted first. If there are only 4 slots for promotion for your MOS within your state but there are 6 people that boarded and made the point cuttoff only the top 4 will get the promotion. If there are only 4 slots for promotion for your MOS and 6 people boarded but only 2 made the point cuttoff then only 2 will get promoted.

I should note that not all states have a point cuttoff. Some states will simply have a promotion board and rank everybody on an OML and if there are 4 slots and 6 people board the top 4 get promoted reguardless of how many total points they actually have.

Good response. I decided to make my response concise since the OP will have a long time reaching this point.

I do like your suggestion about the appearance board. Obviously in the regular Army that is not feasible due to eligible NCOs being stationed throughout the world. That is why a soldier's history of NCOERs, Enlisted record brief and DA photo are vital for the promotion boards. Even in the active component that has come under scrutiny based on NCOs claiming to be promoted to the senior ranks due to favoritism, perceived affirmative action and checking the block deployment tours.

Maybe in the Guard that can prevent what you think that is happening but in my years of experience; no system has ever been perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                          Unfortunately, I've seen this more than once.
                          Me too. It is unfortunate and it is a big draw back. Thats why I feel there needs to be a promotion board in the NG for E-6 and E-7. Yes NCOER's are a great tool for leadership to evaluate an NCO and it does give a good idea concerning that NCO's abilities, strengths and weaknesses but it is a tool that is sometimes written by tools.

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                          Good response. I decided to make my response concise since the OP will have a long time reaching this point.

I do like your suggestion about the appearance board. Obviously in the regular Army that is not feasible due to eligible NCOs being stationed throughout the world. That is why a soldier's history of NCOERs, Enlisted record brief and DA photo are vital for the promotion boards. Even in the active component that has come under scrutiny based on NCOs claiming to be promoted to the senior ranks due to favoritism, perceived affirmative action and checking the block deployment tours.

Maybe in the Guard that can prevent what you think that is happening but in my years of experience; no system has ever been perfect.
                          True no system is ever perfect. What exists now is decent, but it could use some tweaking in my opinion.

Comment

Perhaps but I do not think it will have a major impact. When I was in the Guard, I remember interviewing with a 1SG to a new MOS that I wanted to reclass and was given the opportunity but that is a different thing.

We all know how interviews work in the civilian world and how many people do you know get hired and were still incapable of doing the job?

Comment

Originally posted by Tod22 View Post
                              he said you need atleast 2 years of service and Bachelor degree to become an NCO. Any advise on this please.
                              This is a requirement for some Air Force enlisted MOS's not Army. Also for the guard, if memory serves me correct you must do at least 6 months in the MOS you choose. Even if you reclass. Otherwise you would have soldiers reclassing, finding out they do not like the MOS during training and then coming home and putting in for a reclass right away. The unit pays for you to reclass and they want to get some work out of you for it. As already stated you have to be in the slot or be able to fill the slot. The Guard is a great place for MOS reclass, I have 3 of them. In active duty you have to do your entire contracted time before you can reclass.
                              Last edited by SGTS6; May 18th, 2011, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X