Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

No jobs in the civilian world......staying for the Guard is simply not worth it.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No jobs in the civilian world......staying for the Guard is simply not worth it.

Originally posted by eslguy76 View Post
    I've looked into it.

One simply does not just sign up and go...does not work that way. There are NO jobs open for my crummy MOS and you MUST have that MOS certification for what is open.

Believe me...I've tried. I like my unit and it the ONLY thing I like about being in this **** hole state (NJ). But, it is not enough to stay and continue going through life like this.

I have a passport. I know people overseas. I think it is time to go with plan b.
    I know how this could get someone down in the dumps and how there might be jobs in your area; but yet you are considered not qualified for them.

I hope your rant doesnt suggest that you will go AWOL for this chance of opportunity in China. That will not benefit you and add to your problems.

Also, you still need to communicate with your leadership and use all resources. You need to go to the Department of Labor and organizations that do help the military seek employment.

I know that there is legislation still working on Guard VET status and do not know if you are considered a veteran to utilize Veteran services to find employment.

Sounds like you do not have dependents and that is a plus if it is just you but I know that doesnt make you feel any better.

We are hear to listen and help but you have to be willing to do more than half your part so keep your head up.

Good luck.

Comment

Re: No jobs in the civilian world......staying for the Guard is simply not worth it.

When you focus on your problems, you start to the loose ability to come up with solutions. In a way you become myoptic, aka tunnel vision.

You have to understand that this is a normal problem and that everyone has experienced this at some point. Let me offer you some creative solutions.......

You could enroll in school, so you can collect your GI BILL......plus the way it sounds you may be eligible for the PELL grant along with any other state aid. This could possibly lead you to enroll in ROTC, SMP program. That's one option.

Most people get jobs from people they know, going from business to business filling out long applications is a pointless endevor in my opinion.

I have a back ground in sales so, perhaps this insight may help you out also.....in some sales there is a 250 to 1 principle, you will get 250 No's before you get a Yes. The key to success is to keep on applying for jobs.

Look into internships, anything.......there are also a lot of grants out there right now for job training.

This is certain you must remain positive. Use your military experience to your benifit. YOU ARE THE TOP 3% of the American Population.

You obvisouly are a strong person to make it through bootcamp and AIT.

Get out there and KICK tail and take names.......

Be resilient, bend but don't break. HOOAH???!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
        I hope your rant doesnt suggest that you will go AWOL for this chance of opportunity in China. That will not benefit you and add to your problems.
        I was thinking the same thing; going AWOL will absolutely add to eslguy76's problems. If things don't work out in China, coming back to America would open up a whole new set of issues. Imagine how hard it would be to find a job (once released from jail) with that on your record!

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
        When you focus on your problems, you start to the loose ability to come up with solutions. In a way you become myoptic, aka tunnel vision.

You have to understand that this is a normal problem and that everyone has experienced this at some point. Let me offer you some creative solutions.......

You could enroll in school, so you can collect your GI BILL......plus the way it sounds you may be eligible for the PELL grant along with any other state aid. This could possibly lead you to enroll in ROTC, SMP program. That's one option.

Most people get jobs from people they know, going from business to business filling out long applications is a pointless endevor in my opinion.

Look into internships, anything.......there are also a lot of grants out there right now for job training.

This is certain you must remain positive. Use your military experience to your benifit. YOU ARE THE TOP 3% of the American Population.

Be resilient, bend but don't break. HOOAH???!!!!!
        Chaplain - I was hoping you would chime in on this post....

eslguy76 - to avoid waiting for a link to be approved, go to the State of New Jersey Department of Military and Veteran's affairs website. There is a drop down search box on the top right with all kinds of useful links.

I work for this organization in my state and they can help you in many ways, even if you are not of veteran status yet. They are full of resources for information on employement, civil service preference, utilizing your G.I. Bill, getting training and much more.

Even if many of their services are 'veteran oriented' these agencies also have resources of where you CAN GO to get help.

There are people out there to help you, just don't give up. You may not have a civilian job right now, but you still have your INTEGRITY, so don't tarnish that by doing something impulsive like going AWOL and you still have your DUTY, so don't shirk the oath you took just because times get tough.

You CAN do this, just 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' (but be sure and tuck your laces in...LOL) and take charge of your life soldier.

Good Luck

Comment

I am going to be a bit blunt... I have lived overseas... be careful with putting your hopes in foreign shores because the grass is not greener on the other side. You are part of the 1%... this may not mean much to you right now given your job outlook but you have a lot going for you by being part of our military... the 1%... don't throw that away by running away, it will make matters worse in the end.

There are many resources you can exhaust, talk to your leadership, get your friends to help you (more than just buying you a plane ticket). I am not a religious person but even churches can be a good resource if you are having problems finding a place to live, or with depression.

Just don't give up buddy... sounds like you want to convince yourself that there is no more hope. You are far from the truth... if you have a college education, then that's gotta account for something, even when you think you degree is worthless... it is not, it shows potential employers that you have a plan for yourself and for your future. Maybe you've been looking for the wrong kind of job... with a college degree you can aim higher than Red Lobster son. You gotta give yourself more credit.

There is nothing wrong with you, but you gotta adjust your attitude... get up, stand tall and say to yourself that you'll make this happen. The guard can help you but you gotta "want" to help yourself.

DON'T GIVE UP.
          MG

Comment

eslguy76-
            None of my post is meant in a bad or harsh way, but my words will be strong. Read it ALL and heed the advice.
            First off- What unit are you in and where do you live in NJ? I live in central jersey by Ft. Dix, but my unit is in Teaneck. Chances are I know some people in your unit I can make calls to to possibly get you some work on RMP money or a secondary AT.
            Now- Army Mobcop is a great site, but you're right, sometimes no one responds and I've been turned down many times there. However GKO is a GREAT asset, and you can volunteer for deployment and someone usually calls very quickly.
            Also, NJ is NOT a state that is hurting for jobs. There are literally THOUSANDS of jobs currently open if you find the right resources or use the right channels. If you can't find work inside the state of NJ(which as I stated is very hard to believe), you are blessed to be in the best area for finding work. If you live in north jersey, you have NY city to look for work, and if you live in south jersey, philly and MD aren't far away for work.
            If you don't believe me, take my story currently as example. I work for flextronics currently, and we found out monday that we are all being laid off starting in 2 weeks. I got right on the internet and started applying for jobs. The following day I recieved a call for an interview on thursday. YOU have to put in the effort to get it... It will not come to you.
            **That being said, if you PM me or email me, I will put you in contact with an old friend who used to run my unit's FRG when her husband was my commander. She will get you money in your pocket and will assist you in finding a job. This is what she does, and she is VERY good at it. However you have to be able to produce a resume and be willing to work.

-Running away will not solve your problems. Demons do not just go away. You don't just face your problems and then never see them again. You face them, defeat them for today, and then they come back in a different form tomorrow. Life is the ability to constantly wake up in the morning and FIGHT.

I have faith that you will message me. I will speak to you soon
            Last edited by EOrsini; May 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I did not plan on coming on and reading the posts/replies...but curiosity is a pain.

Experience.....all of my experience IS from working overseas as a teacher. Nobody cares about that here, in the workforce....that is not said out of self pitty....fact.

GI Bill.....I'm not elidgable because I was stupid and took the SLRP (however, it ws not made aware to me that you can't have both. But I take responsibility for that one. I should have dug a little deeper)

Employment in Jersey.......yeah there are "jobs". However, I'm done with workign for a **** industry, with nothing to show for it. I ws already fired a day after I turned in my drill schedule. Unfortunately, there was no evidence or proof to back up why I was fired (yes, I know ESGR can investigate those things but really, nothing will happen but of the "employment at will clause"). I don't see any value in workign to live, pay for gas....that is not my idea of what living life is all about.

IST....I was on my way. I had the car prepped and was packed. Three days before I was supposed to leave, I got that job..but was fired three weeks later.

Medical.....look, I'll be honest. I shoudl not even be in the military. I have a wide history of depression and was in the hospital for five weeks, recently. Objectionally speaking, my mind is nto all there and the spirit is broken.....not a rant...just a fact.

The grass IS greener in some places abroad....life is to short to be depressed, insecure, broke and on teh verge of doing something permanent and stupid. We are products of our enviornment (to a point) and a sense of purpose combined with a secure enviorment goesa long way....fact.

GKO...I dont' know what is up with that site. It won't allow me to register.

Communication with Leadership......been there, done that. It is by their good graces that I am ablet o stay in the barracks on base. But that is the extent. They have other things to worry about and I understand. I don't blame them.....I dont' blame the Guard. I blame myself....I DO take responsability. But facts are facts.....the haves andn the have nots. The stable and unstable. The confident and the insecure....fact.

No, I dont' have Veterns' status.

Going back to school? That woudl be the same as going back abroad..seeking something new, yes? I have $80 to my name, 1/ 2 a tank of gas and I eat once a day (I was utilizing the chow hall but I think they are on to me in regards to not being on orders..so I gotta stop going).

I knwo all about facing challenges....it took me 17 years to get in the military. I barely surived basic and was almost discharged in AIT for serious depression. I knwo the stigma that surrounds that and I know many use it to get out. I did not. I cried when I found out I was gonna get the boot but I left .....in the words of the Beatles...."let it be".

But there comes a tiem when one realizes that no matter what you do, no matter what your faith is (god likes to play phuck, phuck games), life is not a fairy tale. I accept that. However, what I am not going to accept is continuing to have hope for something that is nto there and will nto change...not even medication or 5 weeks in the hospital changed things. So, why fight it? It is heartbreak in the end.

I've realized that once one lets go and simply says "phuck it", not too much else matters. God made me the way I am so I'm sure he knows what I'm going to do, according to HIS plan, .....right chaplin?

So...as I said before....I've got two and a half weeks to make things work anD I've got a couple of thigns in the pipeline...but every bone in my body knows that it will not happen....not based on self pitty but more on the lines of past experience and facts.

I'm notlooking for pitty or advice....I'm done with that. I just wanted to vent....nothing more. It is cruel to ones self to have hope only to have it taken away.

I won't go to jail......one would have to come back for that to happen.

Anyway, god speed to everyone here. I don't take offense for harsh comments because I opened myself uup to them once I posted. But you are not me. You don't know my life. And since I don't know you, I won't make judgements or throw insults....that's ignorant.

Fact is, the military has some good people in the organization. It does not need **** ups like me....fact.

OK....done with the topic. Please, no more replies.

Comment

Soldier, Excuses are not the answer. Follow along in Bold
                Originally posted by eslguy76 View Post
                I did not plan on coming on and reading the posts/replies...but curiosity is a pain.

Experience.....all of my experience IS from working overseas as a teacher. Nobody cares about that here, in the workforce....that is not said out of self pitty....fact.

GI Bill.....I'm not elidgable because I was stupid and took the SLRP (however, it ws not made aware to me that you can't have both. But I take responsibility for that one. I should have dug a little deeper)
                ~Not eligible for GI Bill is maybe fine. However you will sitll get tuition waiver to go to school to get a degree to get a better job. Schools also have work study programs to help you gain employment

Employment in Jersey.......yeah there are "jobs". However, I'm done with workign for a **** industry, with nothing to show for it. I ws already fired a day after I turned in my drill schedule. Unfortunately, there was no evidence or proof to back up why I was fired (yes, I know ESGR can investigate those things but really, nothing will happen but of the "employment at will clause"). I don't see any value in workign to live, pay for gas....that is not my idea of what living life is all about.
                ~ What industry are you talking about? The wireless industry is currently a great one to get into, in any aspect. Everything is going wireless and they will be hiring for YEARS to come. Whatever job you had that fired you is in the past, do not dwell on it. If you don't see value in working to live and pay for gas, create your own business, work for yourself, and do something you love.

IST....I was on my way. I had the car prepped and was packed. Three days before I was supposed to leave, I got that job..but was fired three weeks later.

Medical.....look, I'll be honest. I shoudl not even be in the military. I have a wide history of depression and was in the hospital for five weeks, recently. Objectionally speaking, my mind is nto all there and the spirit is broken.....not a rant...just a fact.
                The military will help you with things like this. You go through your chain of command and they can set you up with free help and meetings with all sorts of people. If your CoC refsed to help or didn't see you thru the help, I will personally get in tough with them and wall to wall counsel them, no matter the rank. The biggest push currently is to help soldiers like you, and if they aren't doing their job they are not deserving of their position. However, it only works if both sides work. If they are doing their end and you are not, they can't help you anymore than you want to be helped.

The grass IS greener in some places abroad....life is to short to be depressed, insecure, broke and on teh verge of doing something permanent and stupid. We are products of our enviornment (to a point) and a sense of purpose combined with a secure enviorment goesa long way....fact.
                Secure environment in another country? Where you will not have the support pipeline you have here? If something went wrong there you will not have the help there that you do here.. Fact. Stop with the "fact quotes" because they are not facts.

GKO...I dont' know what is up with that site. It won't allow me to register.
                you need to use your CaC card to register

Communication with Leadership......been there, done that. It is by their good graces that I am ablet o stay in the barracks on base. But that is the extent. They have other things to worry about and I understand. I don't blame them.....I dont' blame the Guard. I blame myself....I DO take responsability. But facts are facts.....the haves andn the have nots. The stable and unstable. The confident and the insecure....fact.
                What are you speaking about here? Haves and have nots? Stable and unstable?

No, I dont' have Veterns' status.

Going back to school? That woudl be the same as going back abroad..seeking something new, yes? I have $80 to my name, 1/ 2 a tank of gas and I eat once a day (I was utilizing the chow hall but I think they are on to me in regards to not being on orders..so I gotta stop going).
                No, its not the same as going abroad. Yuo wouldn't be starting from zero, you would still have the support structure here. Look at all your leadership has done to help you so far

I knwo all about facing challenges....it took me 17 years to get in the military. I barely surived basic and was almost discharged in AIT for serious depression. I knwo the stigma that surrounds that and I know many use it to get out. I did not. I cried when I found out I was gonna get the boot but I left .....in the words of the Beatles...."let it be".
                Then you know you have to work to beat the challenges. Continue to work

But there comes a tiem when one realizes that no matter what you do, no matter what your faith is (god likes to play phuck, phuck games), life is not a fairy tale. I accept that. However, what I am not going to accept is continuing to have hope for something that is nto there and will nto change...not even medication or 5 weeks in the hospital changed things. So, why fight it? It is heartbreak in the end.
                So...as I said before....I've got two and a half weeks to make things work anD I've got a couple of thigns in the pipeline...but every bone in my body knows that it will not happen....not based on self pitty but more on the lines of past experience and facts.

I'm notlooking for pitty or advice....I'm done with that. I just wanted to vent....nothing more. It is cruel to ones self to have hope only to have it taken away.

I won't go to jail......one would have to come back for that to happen.

Anyway, god speed to everyone here. I don't take offense for harsh comments because I opened myself uup to them once I posted. But you are not me. You don't know my life. And since I don't know you, I won't make judgements or throw insults....that's ignorant.

Fact is, the military has some good people in the organization. It does not need **** ups like me....fact.

OK....done with the topic. Please, no more replies.
                Your curiosity to come back after "deciding not to" shows that you are interested in what we have to say. You need to utilize the options we have given you. You did not tell me what unit you are with. You did not tell me your location. You didn't give me your information. You are saying you can't get anything, but I have every key to every door you need. If you don't take my opportunity, you aren't making the most of your chances. You can't sit there and say things will never go right. there is no such thing as dumb luck. You make your own luck.
                I can only show you the doorway, you need to walk through it.

Comment

I suggest this thread be closed/deleted. The OP has made it clear he doesn't want advice, he just wants to vent. This board is not a place to just vent and be nothing but negative. Perhaps twitter would be a better place if the OP just wants to put his feelings out there and not want a response.

Comment

Working...
                  X