Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

No jobs in the civilian world......staying for the Guard is simply not worth it.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No jobs in the civilian world......staying for the Guard is simply not worth it.

Sorry....obviously, the title promotes a bit of negativity.

But....I can't find work. I can't even get a job at McD's or Red Lobster. I had a job but was fired after three weeks, coincidentally a day after I turned in my drill schedule.

Honestly guys....I'm done. I'm depressed, still (I even spent five weeks in the hospital). I'm lucky to be allowed to live on a base in the barracks...but......I can't do this anymore. I can't live in depression and uncertainty only so that I can stay in the Guard. I gotta survive. ****, I can't even get deployed.

I've tried looking into changing my MOS but no luck.
    I tried going active but no luck.

Granted, this post is mainly venting.....but I guess I gotta face reality.

So long.

Re: No jobs in the civilian world......staying for the Guard is simply not worth it.

Why don't you guard bum and do an ados tour? Go to mobcop and look for a tour.
    Last edited by MichaelPC; May 3rd, 2011, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Re: No jobs in the civilian world......staying for the Guard is simply not worth it.

I've looked into it.

One simply does not just sign up and go...does not work that way. There are NO jobs open for my crummy MOS and you MUST have that MOS certification for what is open.

Believe me...I've tried. I like my unit and it the ONLY thing I like about being in this **** hole state (NJ). But, it is not enough to stay and continue going through life like this.

I have a passport. I know people overseas. I think it is time to go with plan b.

Comment

I know how it works. What is your MOS and grade?
        Last edited by MichaelPC; May 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM.

Comment

...91Delta.

Does not matter, anyway. I'm down to my last $80 and getting a job has been proven ineffective.

As I said, I have a passport and I know people overseas. I can have a better life abroad then slaving away here, for minimum wage (though I do have a degree which is worthless) while paying nearly $4.50 for a gallon of gas.

I'm done...time for plan b.

As I said, I'm just venting about it.......but I will take action. It has not been my first choice to cut out but I'm not going to live out of my car and work part time jobs for little money, no benefits and no self esteem simply so I can drill once a month.

Comment

Well if you are interested in possible ADOS tours related to 91D that does not require an MOS designation then pm me. I assume you are an E3 or higher in grade.

Comment

I was looking at pretty much ANY volunteer deployment............(the Tour of Duty website). But I was told that you must have the required MOS...not ONE was a 91D. Granted there are 00F slots but so many others are competing for them.

yes, I am an e-4...promotable. Funny thing is, I was set up to compete for soldier of the year but.......I turned it down. Way too many other soldiers deserve it. One thing I'm not is a spotlight ranger.

I'm always interested but I'm done with hitting roadblocks....really, it's like somone holding the golden ticket right in front of my face but when I reach out for it, it is yanked away.....not being dramatic...fact.

As I said, this was a rant..me venting.

But, again...I can live a much better life abroad (China of all places) and do a job I love and enjoy and find a sense of purpose again. I did not want it to come down to this but one has to survive. I have three weeks left to make something happen and if not, I'm out (my buddy will buy my ticket...sweet).

Really, the Guard has someone who is educated (but remains enlisted), was motivated and for some reason, despite all my faults, was really good at being a soldier.

..and I can't even get deployed, change an MOS or pretty much anything else.

Anyway, I'm done venting. Sorry for wasting your time.

Comment

Do you have combat experience and a security clearance?

Comment

That's a negative.

I won't be able to get a security clearance either....bad credit from college and I can't afford to pay my bills as it is. The $80 I have will be put towards gas anyway.

I applied for a combat position but again............they..won't...take...me. I don't have to much of a problem with it. My life is worthless so dying is not really an issue....not being dramatic...just facts.

Look, I appreciate your inquiry......but it appears it is over and I accept it. I"m diagnosed with depression anyway so, I'm not making any headway with anything I do.

I dont' want to turn this into a back and forth session but I thank you for your input.

God speed.

Comment

I PMed you.

Comment

Just so you know...just because you get out of the guard, that doesn't make your problems go away.

Comment

Where in Jersey are you? North/South? I find it hard to believe there are no jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                          Where in Jersey are you? North/South? I find it hard to believe there are no jobs.
                          ^^ This

Everybodys got problems, man up and figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by eslguy76 View Post
                            Sorry....obviously, the title promotes a bit of negativity.

But....I can't find work. I can't even get a job at McD's or Red Lobster. I had a job but was fired after three weeks, coincidentally a day after I turned in my drill schedule.

Honestly guys....I'm done. I'm depressed, still (I even spent five weeks in the hospital). I'm lucky to be allowed to live on a base in the barracks...but......I can't do this anymore. I can't live in depression and uncertainty only so that I can stay in the Guard. I gotta survive. ****, I can't even get deployed.

I've tried looking into changing my MOS but no luck.
                            I tried going active but no luck.

Granted, this post is mainly venting.....but I guess I gotta face reality.

So long.
                            It's a sign of the times that were living in that you can't even get a job at McDonalds but getting out of the National Guard isn't the answer either because at least you are getting something from it and can get some benefits from it as well. You should look into moving to another state if you can if NJ has really gotten that bad which by the way I believe you about that one because the news sources I read are writing the same stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
                              It's a sign of the times that were living in that you can't even get a job at McDonalds but getting out of the National Guard isn't the answer either because at least you are getting something from it and can get some benefits from it as well. You should look into moving to another state if you can if NJ has really gotten that bad which by the way I believe you about that one because the news sources I read are writing the same stuff.
                              Hmmm...that's funny...because on craigslist I see 300+ job postings for south jersey and 1300+ postings for north jersey...on Tuesday alone. Took me less than 30 seconds. Seems like a lot to me even if you call half of them junk/spam/out of state garbage.
                              Last edited by SteveLord; May 4th, 2011, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X