X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part-Time Jobs

I've been looking for a part-time job while I go to school and drill with my unit but haven't found anything that interests me yet. I've been told that a 'job' is different than a career. You don't have to like your job, as long as it pays the bills. I disagree, I think that it's important to like your job or you're just going to be stressed all the time.

I've been trying to get an EMT job with a private ambulance company since the city I'm in only wants Paramedics and I'm still waiting on that. But just in case that doesn't work out, does anyone have any suggestions? Obviously people's interests differ as do their jobs but I'm looking for something where I can get experience as an EMT and/or something that relates to the military.

Re: Part-Time Jobs

Regardless of what you do....make sure you have a solid civilian job while serving. If not, life *****.

Comment

Sign up with temp agencies. You could type, answer phones, set up tables & chairs, or any number of odd assignments. Often the variety of locations and duties can provide some insight on future opportunities.

Consider what talents you have, and where to apply them.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
        I think that it's important to like your job or you're just going to be stressed all the time.
        You know whats more stressful then not liking your job? Not being able to pay your bills!

Take the LTC's advice and go to a temp agency. I know many people who got a job through a temp agency and it turned into a full time position.

Comment

I agree. Temp jobs are the way to go and give you some flexibility, they also can lead to a permanent job. I know from experience. But you need a job to pay bills to. I am sure you will find something.

Comment

If you have a local Tech school they offer a class on this. You take tests and fill out different stuff, do some work sheets that get you thinking and they basically tell you what you would be good at. They are usually called Career Awareness Class or something simular. I work for a Temp Service now and it fits me great. Love the different work and leads and it also allows me to get orders through the Guard and get extra work there. It works for me better though because I have an open Unemployment Claim, sometimes you might have to wait a little while between jobs they offer you and that fills in the gaps for me. "Old Folk Homes" might be a place you could work and get experience in what you are looking for. They seem to do alot of hiring and have many different positions depending on your training.

Comment

I've been reading how unemployment rates for vets is up quite a bit so I know the feeling of needing just any job to pay the bills, but wanting a good job that pays and do something you like. I think with everyone saying try a temp agency is a good choice. I have a lot of experience with that route and some temp jobs have turned into permanent positions. Keep in mind a few things with temp agencies though... First, a temp job doesn't pay very much. This is a given actually. Second, a temp agency usually doesn't provide adequate benefits (medical, dental, etc.). If they do, usually they cost a bunch (I've had COBRA offered to me so many times). Which is why having Tricare is a great thing. As well, look over your contract and job itself before going for it. I've come upon many jobs in the past where it was temp for good. The company wasn't looking for a permanent hire for the work to be done.
              On a similar note, and from personal experience...as much as it's great to be honest, if you know you're going to deploy soon and you want to get/keep the job, don't tell them about it yet. And when the official notice for deployment comes out, then submit it to them as such. I've had so many job recruiters ask me that very question about deployment. As much as it *****, they want someone who is willing to stick around for a while (depsite their support for troops).
              As well, if you're on contract and you do deploy, your employer does not have a legal obligation to keep you. I spoke to legal about this for my situation. The contract has to be for longer than the time you're deployed in order for your employer to legally have to keep that job for you when you return. For me, it wasn't. Mine ended right before I left to mob and this company replaced me with another contractor.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X