X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOS notification

Is there anyway to be informed when a certain MOS opens up in your state? I really would like to be a 42A Human Resources Assistant but currently there are no openings in my state. I had contacted my local recruiter back in November and he told me then that there were no openings. I just recently contacted him again and he told me there was an opening that was just taken. Kinda frustrating because I really want to get into HR and I dont really want to pick another job just because. I have a Bachelors in Business with a concentration in Human Resources but i never did an internship and have had no luck getting an HR job in the civilian world so I'd really like to get my foot in the door with the Guard. But I also dont know how often to check and I dont want to irritate the recruiter. Thanks.

Re: MOS notification

I wouldn't feel bad calling once every couple of weeks. It's an easy question to answer, and it's your future you're worried about!

Comment

Just so you know...HR in the military would not really probably be anything like an HR internship.

Comment

You should consider 56M it used to be related to 42A, they were in the 90 series. They are very similar, just 56M is more HOOAH.

Comment

Enlist as 11b, take a 42A MOS-T course, ask your COC for a transfer to a 42A slot.

Comment

Originally posted by Squash View Post
            Enlist as 11b, take a 42A MOS-T course, ask your COC for a transfer to a 42A slot.
            You say that as though it's as simple as just asking for a new MOS and then the unit will do it.

Comment

I realize HR in the military is not going to be exactly the same as the civilian world but its a start that I can't seem to get anywhere else. Its that whole never ending cycle of they don't want to hire you unless you have experience but how do you get experience if no one is hiring?

Comment

Internship.................

Comment

I already finished school and most internships you still have to be currently enrolled.

Comment

Originally posted by jmooi View Post
                    I realize HR in the military is not going to be exactly the same as the civilian world but its a start that I can't seem to get anywhere else. Its that whole never ending cycle of they don't want to hire you unless you have experience but how do you get experience if no one is hiring?
                    Every thought of working in the insurance industry??? I know alot of claims adjusters, estimators, underwriting (ers), risk management,and agents. They make a good living and usually come with a competitive benefits package. They are always looking for entry level "new college graduates". You have to walk before you run; Sometimes you have to be a "grunt" for a while but there is no way but up from there!

Comment

I have questions about how much effort you've put into searching for an HR job.

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I didnt come here to be told I'm not doing enough to find a job, I am looking for pointers on getting the job I want. I search for and apply for jobs everyday. I already said I'm lacking experience in the HR field which seems to be whats preventing me from getting an HR job. I havent been able to find anyone whos willing to train. Everyone has their own circumstances/restrictions which is why I can't just drop what I'm doing and do an unpaid/low paying internship which like previously stated are pretty much just for students who are currently enrolled in school. Thats why I'm considering the NG because I get to serve my country and get some training that should look good for employers, right?

Comment

A few years back 42As (formerly 42L) were over-strength and many soldiers had to reclass (mainly to 88M). Every unit should have one but there are usually a PSD (personnel services detachment) in your state that might have an abundance of openings.

If you are looking for an HR job, utilize a temp agency to get into any administrative position. From there you can start networking. I do not know what state you are located in (have to look at some of your posts) but I probably provide a referral.

Comment

We understand your concern, jmooi. The answer to your question was asnwered by "MPThink" . There is no way to know except by calling your recruiter. Once a week isn't bad.

The other soldiers in this thread are informing you (through EXPERIENCE) that 42A in the Army isn't going to be the same experience as civilian. Unless you find an ADOS/AGR job, it's really hard to compare.

Comment

Ok I still couldnt locate your state but a former Company Commander that I knew who was an MP was a big HR manager that worked for General Electric.

What kind of company are you interested in or it doesnt make a difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X