X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteering for a Deployment

I was wondering how you went about this and how successful people normally are at it. I graduate from Combat Medic Training in the middle of June and would like to deploy shortly there after. The reason that I want to deploy so quick is because I want to deploy before I start back up with college and by the time I am done with college the war will probably be over. While at college I am planing to do ROTC as an SMP Cadet and after I graduate and get to my unit I don't want to be that officer that has authority but the PFCs have actually been there done that if you get what I mean. Any input and opinions would be greatly appreciated, also when can/should I start the paperwork for it. And lastly I was told that my unit got back not to long ago, don't know if it was the truth or Recruiter BS but I don't want to plan on my unit getting deployed within the next 12 months regardless.

Re: Volunteering for a Deployment

Haven't you seen the news lately? The war is over, ended this week.

There are fewer and fewer deployments going out. You'll have a harder time now than you would have a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by FireRescue View Post
      I was wondering how you went about this and how successful people normally are at it. I graduate from Combat Medic Training in the middle of June and would like to deploy shortly there after. The reason that I want to deploy so quick is because I want to deploy before I start back up with college and by the time I am done with college the war will probably be over. While at college I am planing to do ROTC as an SMP Cadet and after I graduate and get to my unit I don't want to be that officer that has authority but the PFCs have actually been there done that if you get what I mean. Any input and opinions would be greatly appreciated, also when can/should I start the paperwork for it. And lastly I was told that my unit got back not to long ago, don't know if it was the truth or Recruiter BS but I don't want to plan on my unit getting deployed within the next 12 months regardless.
      Google "Tour of Duty Army" That is the website where you can volunteer. RSP NCO is right though, oppurtunities to deploy will start to dwindle to nothing over the next year or so.

Comment

Yeah I know they pulled out of Iraq but aren't we still in Afghanistan or is it we just aren't calling it "war".

Comment

Yeah I know they pulled out of Iraq but aren't we still in Afghanistan or is it we just aren't calling it "war".
          In about 50 plus days; I head back to Afghanistan for my third combat tour. One in Iraq and now two in Afghanistan. You can take my place if you like lol.

Seriously; as the other posters stated; it is even getting harder to augment for a deployment to Afghanistan. I am regular Army and so far at my post; units have been coming home early from Afghanistan. Some are six months earlier.

As a leader; you will have subordinates that will have more expertise than you in certain areas. Utilize them but keep working those channels if you are really trying to go. If your unit is not slated and everyone is trying to do what you are doing, in your MOS level and category; you can see how hard this might be able to achieve.

Remember; its coming down to dollars right now and the states (what is appears) to be doing with much less than the federal government.

Come active and that will improve your chances.

Comment

Just read this now about Afghanistan on ArmyTimes.

Military meets Obama drawdown order timeline

The Associated Press
            Posted : Thursday Dec 22, 2011 13:06:35 EST
            <form id="hidden"><input id="headline" value="Military meets Obama drawdown order timeline" type="hidden"><input id="body" value="You have been sent an online news article as a courtesy of www.armytimes.com. To view the contents go to:" type="hidden"><input id="url" value="http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/12/ap-afghanistan-military-meets-obama-drawdown-timeline-122211/" type="hidden"></form>
            WASHINGTON — President Obama’s order to withdraw 10,000 American troops from Afghanistan this year has been accomplished, a little more than a week before the year-end deadline, military officials said Thursday.
            The drawdown is the first step in the plan to wind down the war, transition security to Afghan forces and end the combat role for international troops by the end of 2014.
            It also gives the Obama administration a second war-related accomplishment to tout this month — coming just a week after U.S. officials marked the end of the war in Iraq and the last convoy of American soldiers rumbled out of that country into Kuwait.
            Officials say there are now 91,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan — down from the peak of 101,000 in June.
            In December 2009 Obama announced he was sending an additional 33,000 U.S. troops to Afghanistan in a bid to beat back the escalating Taliban insurgency and change the course of the war. Six months ago, declaring that the “tide of war is receding,” Obama said he would withdraw 10,000 troops by the end of this year, and another 23,000 by the end of next summer.
            The decision was met with initial opposition from military leaders who thought the withdrawal was too much, too soon, particularly since it would pull troops out before the end of next year’s fighting season, which can last well into October and even November.
            Last week, however, during a trip to Afghanistan, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta repeatedly told troops that the U.S. had reached a turning point in the war. And at one point he went so far as to say, “I really think that for all the sacrifices that you’re doing, the reality is that it is paying off and that we’re moving in the right direction. ... We’re winning this very tough conflict here in Afghanistan.”
            Contrasting that assessment is the ongoing violence in Afghanistan’s east, along the Pakistan border, and the high-profile attacks and assassinations that continue to wreak havoc in and around Kabul. The violence is compounded by worries about government corruption, the fragile economy, and fears that Afghan forces won’t be ready to take over security of the country as American and NATO troops leave.

Comment

Is it possible to volunteer for a deployment with an active duty unit or can it only be with a reserve component unit. I just don't want to go active and then get stuck being active duty for a few years and still never get deployed that would just delay school unnecessarily. Really what I am after is a combat experience so that when I become a young officer I can be a step ahead of pears in real experience because like in the beginning movie Annapolis says as officers your mistakes end up in body bags and I don't want the first time the things go south for me to make a decision that costs the life of anyone in my unit. However this is not looking like my plan will work however I will ask around and try to find a way to make it work.

Comment

I look at it this way...if there's a will, then there's a way. You have multiple ways to deploy. But you just have to take in reality. Can you volunteer? Yes. Does it mean you'll go where you want? Maybe. And like everyone else has said...with war winding down, there's less chance of opportunities.

In my case, I joined the Guard at the right time. My unit's deployment was to go to Afghanistan. Then they changed it to Kuwait. Then they pulled my unit out of deployment all together.
                Another Guard unit going to Afghanistan asked for volunteers from my unit. I volunteered. Then this Guard unit split between Afghanistan and Kuwait. I was one of the lucky ones to be with a battalion selected to go to Afghanistan.

My point is...sure I had some luck, but I also made the right decisions that landed me where I am right now.

Comment

Is it possible to volunteer for a deployment with an active duty unit or can it only be with a reserve component unit. I just don't want to go active and then get stuck being active duty for a few years and still never get deployed that would just delay school unnecessarily. Really what I am after is a combat experience so that when I become a young officer I can be a step ahead of pears in real experience because like in the beginning movie Annapolis says as officers your mistakes end up in body bags and I don't want the first time the things go south for me to make a decision that costs the life of anyone in my unit. However this is not looking like my plan will work however I will ask around and try to find a way to make it work.
                  We had one Army Reservists that was with us for about 4 months in our yearlong deployment. I seen reserve medical officers PROFIS to other units for a deployment.

With active duty; it depends on where you will get assigned and obviously combat arms MOS will help that. You can still work on schooling during an AD stint.

Dont pay mind to the movie Annalopis because that movie was far-fetched in many ways and movies never really depict how the services truly operate. Just absorb your training and learn from your NCOs and take it from there.

When you say combat experience; do you mean operational experience in the combat zone or actually engaging the enemy during a deployment which only a few percent of actual military members do?

Comment

My post needs approval again Happy Holidays everyone!!

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
                      My post needs approval again Happy Holidays everyone!!
                      We have a tool that displays all needing approval. It's done with a few clicks. It's checked at least a few times a day.

Comment

When I say combat experience I would hope to engage the enemy but as I realize how rare this unless you spend time in certain areas (and even then from my understanding it isn't really effective enemy fire) I was meaning operation experience. I am one of those people that can perform "monkey see, monkey do" very well and feel that all the time in the classroom and doings FTXs couldn't replace a year with a unit where I can truly absorb how everything is done.

Comment

So here's the deal. You seem motivated which is a good thing, but you're a little naive...deploying as an E-4 medic is going to be nothing like deploying as an officer, especially since you have no idea what branch you'll end up with once you go through officer assessions. There is so much happening at the officer level you'll never see, that there's very little transferable experience, if any at all. I commend you for wanting to go overseas and wish you the best of luck, but don't feel that you're going to be at a disadvantage as an LT if you don't make it over; combat experience alone doesn't make you a good leader.

Comment

Working...
                          X