Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help understanding the education benefits.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help understanding the education benefits.

To make it blunt, I have problems understanding all of this education benefits that the government offers. I understand there is the FTA, EAP, MGIB-SR and the Kicker available to soldiers but I don't understand how they all work together, and with other government programs such as financial aid. I spoke with my RSP coordinator about this, and she told me to give a call to a education assistance person located at Ft. Indiantown Gap, and for four days, I was unable to get in contact with her. Seeing as how school starts in less than a week, I would like to get some answers so that I can get all the necessary paperwork in as soon as possible.

Some information; I am going to a community college for this Fall semester. I was about to go back to my university in the Spring semester, but I am deploying next semester I believe for xx amount of time. When I contracted, I was eligible for the MGIB-SR and the Kicker. I am currently using financial aid to pay for my tuition at the moment.

The questions I have are:
    What are the difference between each of these programs and how would I determine which is the best option for me?

Is it possible to use any of these options simultaneously/together?

If I deploy, how would these benefits work when I come back? Also, I know one could use the MGIB for 36 months, but if I started using it now for the next 3-4 months, then I deploy, would it continue using the MGIB? Or would it continue after I come back from deployment?

Thank you very much.

Re: I need help understanding the education benefits.

Send me a PM and I can answer these for ya in more detail. Are you MOSQ'd? When do you deploy (do you have orders)?

Comment

Re: I need help understanding the education benefits.

Unless there's been a change, you can't use the GI Bill until you've completed AIT and are MOS Q'd. You can use Tution Assistance but since we're and the end of this FY, there may not be any money left. You have to learn to "game" the system a little bit.

You should be able to use all of the programs togethor. The biggest thing for you, you must remain in good standing with your unit (ie pass the AFPT/weight, keep going to drill ect).

Comment

Working...
      X