X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post 9/11-GI Bill explanation?

just looking for a more direct, detailed description of how the GI bill works once you finish your IET

Re: Post 9/11-GI Bill explanation?

Originally posted by kristofer.a.cummings View Post
    just looking for a more direct, detailed description of how the GI bill works once you finish your IET
    You have the MGIB after IET. The Post 9/11 GIB is after active duty. http://www.gibill.va.gov/

Comment

Unless you deploy or get some sort of title 10 orders you will not have access to the post 9/11 bill. Only the reserve select MGIB

Comment

Latest clarification on the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the Army Times website

Army clarifies Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility

By Jim Tice - Staff writer
        Posted : Tuesday Sep 27, 2011 14:16:5

The Army has issued details to clarify which soldiers and veterans are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the complex education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001.
        Education and housing benefits under the program are payable for training pursued on or after Aug. 1, 2009. But no payments can be made under the program for training pursued before that date.

For details about the Post-9/11 GI Bill, go to the Veterans Affairs Department’s website.

In a Sept. 1 message to field commands throughout the Army, Human Resources Command emphasized that certain periods of active duty do not qualify as "active duty service" for eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
        These periods of service do not qualify as active duty for soldiers to be eligible for the bill:
        • Any active-duty service completed by Sept. 10, 2001.
        • The first five years of service following commissioning from one of the U.S. military academies.
        • The first four years of service following commissioning through an ROTC scholarship program.
        The three-year active-duty service obligation incurred by nonscholarship ROTC officers, officer candidate school officers and direct commissioning officers is qualifying service for Post-9/11 GI Bill eligibility.
        The first three years of active duty, regardless of the length of the initial service obligation, for soldiers who enlisted under the Student Loan Repayment Program.
        Full-time National Guard duty performed under Title 32 orders for Active Duty for Operational Support or Active Duty for Special Work.
        • Service as a cadet or midshipman in one of the U.S. military academies.
        Active duty for initial entry training following enlistment in the Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve or Coast Guard Reserve.
        • Service that was terminated because the soldier was a minor, was erroneously enlisted or received a defective enlistment agreement.
        • A period of Selected Reserve service used to establish eligibility for a Defense Intelligence Senior Executive Service position under Title 10 of the U.S. Code, Section 1606, or an intelligence senior level position under Section 1607 of Title 10.
        • A period of Selected Reserve service used to establish eligibility for entitlements under Chapter 30 of Title 38.
        Annual training conducted under authority of Sections 10147 or 12301(B) of Title 10.
        A period of non-active-duty status in the Individual Ready Reserve.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 27th, 2011, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          Latest clarification on the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the Army Times website

Army clarifies Post 9/11 GI Bill eligibility

By Jim Tice - Staff writer
          Posted : Tuesday Sep 27, 2011 14:16:5

The Army has issued details to clarify which soldiers and veterans are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the complex education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001.
          Education and housing benefits under the program are payable for training pursued on or after Aug. 1, 2009. But no payments can be made under the program for training pursued before that date.

For details about the Post-9/11 GI Bill, go to the Veterans Affairs Department’s website.

In a Sept. 1 message to field commands throughout the Army, Human Resources Command emphasized that certain periods of active duty do not qualify as "active duty service" for eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
          These periods of service do not qualify as active duty for soldiers to be eligible for the bill:
          • Any active-duty service completed by Sept. 10, 2001.
          • The first five years of service following commissioning from one of the U.S. military academies.
          • The first four years of service following commissioning through an ROTC scholarship program.
          The three-year active-duty service obligation incurred by nonscholarship ROTC officers, officer candidate school officers and direct commissioning officers is qualifying service for Post-9/11 GI Bill eligibility.
          The first three years of active duty, regardless of the length of the initial service obligation, for soldiers who enlisted under the Student Loan Repayment Program.
          Full-time National Guard duty performed under Title 32 orders for Active Duty for Operational Support or Active Duty for Special Work.
          • Service as a cadet or midshipman in one of the U.S. military academies.
          • [B]Active duty for initial entry training following enlistment in the Army National Guard, Air National Guard, Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve or Coast Guard Reserve.[/B]
          • Service that was terminated because the soldier was a minor, was erroneously enlisted or received a defective enlistment agreement.
          • A period of Selected Reserve service used to establish eligibility for a Defense Intelligence Senior Executive Service position under Title 10 of the U.S. Code, Section 1606, or an intelligence senior level position under Section 1607 of Title 10.
          • A period of Selected Reserve service used to establish eligibility for entitlements under Chapter 30 of Title 38.
          Annual training conducted under authority of Sections 10147 or 12301(B) of Title 10.
          A period of non-active-duty status in the Individual Ready Reserve.

I thought that after the passage of "Post 9/11 GI bill 2.0 on January 14 2011 that my BASIC and AIT time was included in for determining my percentage. I've called the VA and they say that the "public law" doensnt include this. I told them that it does because I am National Guard. Has anybody else encountered this problem of the VA not allowing AIT and BASIC to count toward the post 9/11?I need those six months and 22 days to get me to 80%.

The Actual Text of the law reads as follows

‘‘(C) In the case of a member of the Army National
          Guard of the United States or Air National Guard of the
          United States, in addition to service described in subparagraph
          (B), full-time service—
          ‘‘(i) in the National Guard of a State for the purpose
          of organizing, administering, recruiting,
          instructing, or training the National Guard; or
          ‘‘(ii) in the National Guard under section 502(f)
          of title 32 when authorized by the President or the
          Secretary of Defense for the purpose of responding
          to a national emergency declared by the President
          and supported by Federal funds.’’.
          (2) EXPANSION OF DEFINITION OF ARMY ENTRY LEVEL AND
          SKILL TRAINING TO INCLUDE ONE STATION UNIT TRAINING.—
          Paragraph (2)(A) of such section is amended by inserting ‘‘or
          One Station Unit Training’’ before the period at the end.
          (3) CLARIFICATION OF DEFINITION OF ENTRY LEVEL AND
          SKILL TRAINING FOR THE COAST GUARD.—Paragraph (2)(E) of
          such section is amended by inserting ‘‘and Skill Training (or
          so-called ‘A’ School)’’ before the period at the end.
          I think that being sent to be trained would be "n the National Guard of a State for the purpose
          instructing, or training the National Guard;"

But apparently according to the people who make the decisions AID and BASIC doesn't fit that. I can only assume that the passage that explicitly says "CLARIFICATION OF DEFINITION OF ENTRY LEVEL AND
          so-called ‘A’ School)’’ before the period at the end." is being interpreted as ONLY for the Coast Guard and not the Army or Air national Guard.

I left for Basic Training on Sept 19 2001 to FT Benning and wash shipped to AIT in FT Sam Houston Texas on Nov 29 2001 and left AIT first week of March 2002. My DD 2014 for that time period was for six months and 22 Days. I then was deployed from Feburary 11 2003 and was discharged August 8th 2004 for and additional 1 year 5 months and 28 days of service under OEF orders and they are only using that time to determine my %(70).

It seems to me that they(the va bureaucracy) is only in the business of finding ways to interpret the laws to DENY as much as they can from soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney De La Cruz View Post
            I thought that after the passage of "Post 9/11 GI bill 2.0 on January 14 2011 that my BASIC and AIT time was included in for determining my percentage. I've called the VA and they say that the "public law" doensnt include this. I told them that it does because I am National Guard. Has anybody else encountered this problem of the VA not allowing AIT and BASIC to count toward the post 9/11?I need those six months and 22 days to get me to 80%.

The Actual Text of the law reads as follows

I think that being sent to be trained would be "n the National Guard of a State for the purpose
            instructing, or training the National Guard;"

But apparently according to the people who make the decisions AID and BASIC doesn't fit that. I can only assume that the passage that explicitly says "CLARIFICATION OF DEFINITION OF ENTRY LEVEL AND
            so-called ‘A’ School)’’ before the period at the end." is being interpreted as ONLY for the Coast Guard and not the Army or Air national Guard.

I left for Basic Training on Sept 19 2001 to FT Benning and wash shipped to AIT in FT Sam Houston Texas on Nov 29 2001 and left AIT first week of March 2002. My DD 2014 for that time period was for six months and 22 Days. I then was deployed from Feburary 11 2003 and was discharged August 8th 2004 for and additional 1 year 5 months and 28 days of service under OEF orders and they are only using that time to determine my %(70).

It seems to me that they(the va bureaucracy) is only in the business of finding ways to interpret the laws to DENY as much as they can from soldiers.
            Thats fine if that is the way you feel, but it is pretty clear to me.

Active Duty for training doesn't qualify as active duty for various things, post 9/11 gi bill included.

That time doesn't count towards the bill, never counted, and probably won't ever count.

Comment

I then was deployed from Feburary 11 2003 and was discharged August 8th 2004

Ok that is just 18 months. Read the charts below. IET does not count due to the amount of months you completed. You can use basic and AIT if it adds up to 30 months to get the 100 percent.
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; August 16th, 2012, 04:00 PM.

Comment

OK, there are different tiers that are found here.

http://www.military.com/education/gi...erview.html#ec

ost-9/11 Service Percentage of Maximum Amount Payable
                At least 36 cumulative months
                (Includes Entry Level or Skills Training time)
                100%
                At least 30 continuous days on active duty and discharged due to service-connected disability
                100%
                At least 30 cumulative months
                90%
                At least 24 cumulative months
                (Cannot include Entry Level or Skills Training time)
                80%
                At least 18 cumulative months
                70%
                At least 12 cumulative months
                60%
                At least 6 cumulative months
                50%
                90 aggregate days
                40%
                The following links will help you learn more about this exciting new GI Bill program:

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney De La Cruz View Post
                  You deployed, so yes, you should get all that you can for that. Why though, would you want someone who has never deployed to be able to count their basic and AIT time towards the post 9/11 Gi Bill? Wouldn't that take away from the actual sacrifice you made going on a deployment if anyone who has a long basic/ait could qualify for the same thing???

Comment

And Mr. De La Cruz,

You are the one that is misinterpreting the laws because with a 30-second google search; I found out that the VA is correct with the percentage they are giving you.

Comment

This is chicken you know what. I served on full time active duty Title 32 502(f) orders for nearly 5 years. In that time my team and I conducted live fire training and qualification for over 10,000 Guard Soldiers that deployed to either Iraq or Afghanistan - we received numerous AAM's, ARCOM's and an MSM for the outstanding work we did. During the surge there was a period where we worked (conducting PMI, live fire coaching, or running day and night qualification ranges) NON STOP from July 5th to the Thanksgiving break without a single day off. We averaged a 98% first time go for all the Soldiers that came through our live fire training. Meaning that if 100 Soldiers received training from us, 98 of them would qualify in the very first attempt. We were and still are the best small arms trainers in the entire U.S. Army. I know because at the same time we were training Soldiers we were also competing and running competitions. My Soldiers won the All Army Small Arms Championships two years in a row - the Army's best shooters. If training Soldiers to deploy for the surge isnt "responding to a national emergency declared by the President" I don't know what is , it was certainly supported by Federal Funds. My orders clearly state ADOS and OCO support. Yet I am not entitled to the benefits because (as I am told) my orders are signed by the G3 and not the President of the United States or the Secretary of Defense. Way to take care of the troops G1!

The Law says ‘‘(ii) in the National Guard under section 502(f) of title 32 when authorized by the President or the Secretary of Defense for the purpose of responding to a national emergency declared by the President and supported by Federal funds.’’.

The ARNG G1 goes on to (screw us) say :

"Title 32 qualifying service was defined by Public Law 111-377 dated 4 JAN 2012. There are two types of Title 32 qualifying service for the Post 9/11 GI Bill:

1. Title 32 AGR service with an Honorable discharge (This includes ALL Title 32 AGR service including WMD, CST, and State Counterdrug Coordinators in an AGR status),

or

2. “Operation Noble Eagle” from 11 SEP 2001 – 31 MAY 2002 with an Honorable discharge. (Your orders/DD214 must show Title 32 502(f) ADOS or ADSW.)

NO other Title 32 ADOS or ADSW duty qualifies."

Some thoughts on this: AGR's, WMD, CST, and CD folks serve an important role. But there were many of us directly involved in the training specifically to prepare mobilizing Soldiers for WAR. Not to provide support to local law enforcement or fire departments or conduct yellow ribbon events or FRG functions - all of those Soldiers will qualify. We will not.

In regard to provision 2. for Operation Noble Eagle, I served from 20 SEP 2011 through 1 MAY 2002 for operation noble eagle, my DD214 clearly says Title 32 502 (f) but because it does not say "Operation Noble Eagle" on the DD214 the education advisers in my state are telling me that this service cannot be credited for GI Bill Benefits either.

Go Guard! How do you look at yourselves in the mirror each day? A grateful nation, yeah.
                      curiously title 32 AGR desk jockeys working at NGB HQ's (in the G1?) receive credit for service towards education benefits, those of us actually training soldiers for war will not. We all deployed too, luckily that time counts.

Comment

Working...
                      X