X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• States With 100% Free Education at the Graduate level

Personaly I myself and looking into lawschool and have been researching states with 100% free tuition in the forms of grants and waivers or state funded money. So far the most lucrative states I have found have been:

New Jersey: Free School at any public University
    Illinois: 4 Years of Free school after serving 1 year in the Guard

I would like to hear from others around the country as to what their state offers to help soldiers thru graduate and advanced training schools.

Should be educational for everyone.

Re: States With 100% Free Education at the Graduate level

Nevada has a tuition waiver program that applies to state schools.

I believe it covers everything with the exception of registration fees for law school.

They also provide reimbursement for books purchased.

Website lists the tuition and fee waiver form and POC for the state waiver program.
    http://www.nv.ngb.army.mil/education.cfm

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      Personaly I myself and looking into lawschool.
      Going for JAG?

Comment

Originally posted by o13starsnstripes View Post
        Going for JAG?
        I would love to be full time JAG attorney. With me years in and the other bennies being an O-3E pay while doing law would be stellar. However, I have to live with the reality that even though my resume would be "JAG" specific, I still may not get selected, thus want either a free legal education at any school, or a top 25 school so I am not in debt for nothing.

Comment

I'm in NJ. Our Tuition Waiver is fantastic. I went to Rowan University for my Bachelors, and am currently going to NJIT for my MBA. I don't pay a dime, while getting my GI bill and kicker. Basically, I'm GETTING PAID to go to school. I tell my Soldiers all the time, if you are unemployed, you better be going to school, it's income, and it's way better than people think

Comment

Personaly I myself and looking into lawschool and have been researching states with 100% free tuition in the forms of grants and waivers or state funded money.
            Law and medical schools are typically dealt with differently. For states that offer "100% free tuition", this usually means that they will apply a tuition waiver in an amount equal to the undergrad tuition of the state program towards law or medical school. That's a great help, but it usually only pays a fraction of the cost.

Comment

By the way, although I don't care for the site much myself, places like this already have a chart laid out of state tuition allowances.

Comment

Originally posted by notyetdead View Post
                By the way, although I don't care for the site much myself, places like this already have a chart laid out of state tuition allowances.
                hmm...not correct info for my state, I wonder how many others are inaccurate. That's a pretty cool chart though.

Comment

It's way off the mark.

Comment

Law and medical schools are typically dealt with differently. For states that offer "100% free tuition", this usually means that they will apply a tuition waiver in an amount equal to the undergrad tuition of the state program towards law or medical school. That's a great help, but it usually only pays a fraction of the cost.
                    Except for NJ and Illinois, and apprantly Nevada.

Comment

Yep. If you read the NJ code on it, its vague in a good way. It says that if its your first bachelor or graduate degree, you're a satisfactorily participating member, not elligible for the post 9/11 GI Bill or other financial grants (have to use those first), your tuition is waived.

There's a commanders cert form you get, you attach that with an application for enrollment to you university, as long as its a NJ state school, and once a year a FAFSA to show you're not elligible for grants, and you're good.

The univeristy gets stiffed and you get to enroll. It's good! If there was a NJ school that offered a masters in intelligence studies, I'd enroll, but for now I'll stick with applying for the NDIC.

Comment

Originally posted by show_stopper999 View Post
                        Yep. If you read the NJ code on it, its vague in a good way. It says that if its your first bachelor or graduate degree, you're a satisfactorily participating member, not elligible for the post 9/11 GI Bill or other financial grants (have to use those first), your tuition is waived.

There's a commanders cert form you get, you attach that with an application for enrollment to you university, as long as its a NJ state school, and once a year a FAFSA to show you're not elligible for grants, and you're good.

The univeristy gets stiffed and you get to enroll. It's good! If there was a NJ school that offered a masters in intelligence studies, I'd enroll, but for now I'll stick with applying for the NDIC.
                        Farleigh Dickinson has a Masters in Homeland Security. Thats kind of close.

Comment

It's way off the mark.
                          Well no kidding guys its says its current as of August of 2002.

Comment

Check this out:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18366458

Comment

OK, did not want to just throw a link up, however this just came out in a local paper (The Denver Post) and seems applicable to this thread:

Colorado State University offers Veterans Free Tuition - not all Vets qualify, must meet certain criteria (listed in article) and covers all the things the 911 GI bill does
                              so you get to keep your GI Bill payments. University of Northern Colorado has a similar program...

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18366458

"CSU is one of a handful of institutions whose participation goes way beyond the call of duty. The University of Northern Colorado is another.

Starting this fall, CSU will pay full tuition and fees, as well as provide help with housing and books, to qualifying veterans or their children.

In announcing CSU's 100 percent contribution, university president Tony Frank said the school is "committed to ensuring CSU remains a top military-friendly university."

That commitment means CSU will pay 100 percent of resident and nonresident undergraduate tuition, all university fees, a $4,300 housing allowance each semester and $1,000 a year toward books. The offer does not include graduate-school tuition.

Read more: Colorado State University offers veterans free tuition - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_18366458#ixzz1Qoq04pD9"

There are other schools nationwide that are part of the yellow Ribbon program, and perhaps others like CSU and UNC that are going above and beyond.
                              Last edited by LRSU_Dog; July 1st, 2011, 02:03 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
                              X