X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usaa

I'm looking into USAA for Auto/Life insurance as well as possibly another credit card and/or a savings account. What are they general opinions of USAA from those who are current/past members? I've heard a lot of good things about USAA but I'm looking for both sides.

Also, I do have SGLI for health insurance but is that year-round coverage or does it only apply while I'm deployed/at training? So do I even need to look into getting additional life insurance?

Re: Usaa

If you don't get USAA... Shame on you. It's great for us. ATM fee reimbursment, insurance rates are extremely low, and a good savings and checking account system.. To name a few things. Seriously look into it and consider it. I use Bank of America as well, but USAA is my favorite of the two.

As for SGLI, that's up to you. there are people who have coverage from USAA as well as the SGLI, and others think the noe is just fine. Maybe some here can let you know if they have both options... I for one do not. Kepp in mind, having a family and needing to support them in the event something happens may be a reason to have both.

Comment

USAA has very high ratings on customer satisfaction from JD Power & Associates, and high financial stability ratings from the independent ratings agencies. You may find a cheaper/better deal from someone else on a credit card, or car loan, or something. I don't think you'll find a better total package of rates, reliability, and service on all your financial needs (except for investment accounts, where their performance is lackluster).

SGLI covers you all the time, and has no exclusions for acts of war or terrorism (as some civilian policies may have).

Life insurance isn't for the person who dies, it's for the people who live. Does anyone else depend on you for their daily sustenance? If you're 19, have no dependents, and your parents & sibilings are financially independent, then your untimely demise will not present them a financial hardship (we're only talking finances here, not emotions). I still always recommend getting the minimum SGLI, largely because if you have the minimum policy you can increase it at will, whereas if you have nothing and want to add it later you may find some difficulty. If you're a father of three babies, and your wife stays home with the children, then your death will devastate them financially. That father definitely wants to get life insurance to allow his family to replace his earnings for a period of time, until the family can support themselves. The traditional rule of thumb is to get life insurance equal to seven times your yearly salary. That way, your wife & children could maintain their current lifestyle without you for seven solid years, to get the wife gracefully into a job of her own. Your mileage may vary, and you'll find a number of tweaks to that rule. USAA, Fidelity, and other insurance companies have calculators that give more targeted recommendations based on your situation. Ultimately, though, consider how the death of an individual will affect the survivors financially, and obtain life insurance to mitigate that risk.

Comment

I recently referred this to a few prior service in the office. A guy who was in the USMC for a short while, had never heard of USAA. Let's just say he got better car coverage for a better price. And I had a free lunch that day.

My dad (retired 20yrs Active) just got a notification from Geico, that he's been with for 20 years, that his rates are going to skyrocket. Despite his accident history, USAA's quote was still well below what he would have to be paying Geico. Again, I was fed well that day.

They address you by your rank, but treat you like a general...no matter how long you've been out. Their auto insurance and banking are probably their best products. But they do have a lot more on there. And...you can even see reviews from customers that used them (positive and negative). How often do you see that?
        Last edited by SteveLord; May 5th, 2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

+1 on their customer service!

Also, they are very easy to deal with when making claims. I was rear ended by someone and they had USAA insurance. It was super fast and easy getting a check from USAA to cover my damages. (funny side note, the person who hit me was actually a soldier from my RSP. You can only imagine the fear in her eyes when she realized who she had it!)

Comment

Nothing wrong with being a member with more than one credit union but when it comes to low APR interest rates on loans or credit cards; they might require that you direct deposit with them. I direct deposit with USAA and I also received a 2% APR for my car loan.

I also have my ROTH IRA with them.

Comment

Thanks for all the iput. My wife and I will probably start a savings account with them and I'll probably get another credit card with them as well. In terms of the life insurance, I mixed myself up. What I meant to ask about what HEALTH insurance (two totally different things I know) but as for Health Insurance I think my best bet would be Tri-Care Reserve Select until I commission.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
                Thanks for all the iput. My wife and I will probably start a savings account with them and I'll probably get another credit card with them as well. In terms of the life insurance, I mixed myself up. What I meant to ask about what HEALTH insurance (two totally different things I know) but as for Health Insurance I think my best bet would be Tri-Care Reserve Select until I commission.
                USAA does have health insurance through Assurant. I am going to assume this is a fairly new relationship though. It's hard enough getting feedback on anything USAA. TRS's premium may be hard to beat.

Comment

Great bank, great company. You will find tho that AAA actually has the best car insurance rates. A little known secret!

Comment

GEICO is where it's at. They give you a nice discount for being Guard.

I know someone, who was with USAA but USAA has opened up to everyone thus the rates have risen. You want find better health insurance for the price than TRS. Though, I personally feel the customer service of TRS is terrible, however it's worth 53 dollar a month.

You could also get a Military Star Card, for the commissary and PX, AAFES. They have some wicked good deals on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                      GEICO is where it's at. They give you a nice discount for being Guard.

I know someone, who was with USAA but USAA has opened up to everyone thus the rates have risen. You want find better health insurance for the price than TRS. Though, I personally feel the customer service of TRS is terrible, however it's worth 53 dollar a month.

You could also get a Military Star Card, for the commissary and PX, AAFES. They have some wicked good deals on their website.
                      $53 a month? I assume that's for an individual right? If I got TRS it would be for me + 1 dependant. Not neccessarily a family but I think the family pricing would still apply.

I was thinking about getting a star card but from what I understan dit's best to use it on base, and I don't usually purchase that much through AAFES

Comment

Yes the family pricing still applies 197/mnth. You can get the one that you can use anywere. I personally don't use it does why use credit when you have $$$ DOLLA BILLS.

There is like a 300 dollar limit you can use interest free on clothing, I think.

You're right it's probably not worth getting one, unless you live near a commissary.

Comment

I have a credit card through Bank of America right now, it's been good to have not because I need another avenue to spend money but so that I can establish credit for car financing, other loans, future jobs, etc. For credit cards the APR doesn't really apply to me since I make it a strict habit to pay off the entirety of the balance I owe each month.

If I did get another credit card, I think the USAA one for military would be my best bet. But the $300 interest-free clothing purchase does seem nice.

This leads me to another question though, when I commission will I be issued the new Dress Blues or receive a clothing allowance for them? So far all I have are the greens, which I don't even know if we're still authorized to wear them anymore?

Comment

?? I got a one time stipend to off set costs, I think it was $600, but I spent over $1,000 so I think they got the better end of that deal. Which as an officer you pay for everything, so I'm not complaining, but thankful for a one time gift.

The old uniforms are good until 2014.

Credit is overrated.....like I said when you got DOLLA BILLS you don't need credit......$$$ Cha CHING......when you go and get a mortgage they look at how much $$$$ cha ching you make and how much $$$ cha ching you can put down.

Moe money big time balla cha ching ching...yo yo.
                            Last edited by Chaplain4me; May 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM.

Comment

HAHA roger that Sir. I think you may have been watching a little too much Snoop Dogg....yo

Comment

Working...
                              X