Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

BAH during basic?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BAH during basic?

    I'm shipping to basic in May. I'm single with no dependents. I am responsible for paying a lease. Will having a lease in my name qualify me for BAH while in BCT?

  • #2
    Re: BAH during basic?

    The answer is Yes.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: BAH during basic?

      Thanks for the response. How do I get it taken care of, do I bring my lease to basic? My room mates name is also on the lease, do I get full BAH or just my share of the rent?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: BAH during basic?

        Bring your lease and a utility bill for that address and you should be good to go.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: BAH during basic?

          Bring your lease to your recruiter before shipping to BCT, and bring it with you with the other paperwork you bring when you ship.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: BAH during basic?

            Thanks everyone.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: BAH during basic?

              So then would it be the same for someone with a mortgage?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: BAH during basic?

                Yes, BAH is determined by your zip code and dependents (and also rank, I'm fairly sure).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: BAH during basic?

                  Originally posted by jmooi View Post
                  So then would it be the same for someone with a mortgage?
                  Originally posted by MPThink View Post
                  Yes, BAH is determined by your zip code and dependents (and also rank, I'm fairly sure).
                  For documentation (for those with depedents), you shouldn't need any. I don't know what they do nowadays, they always went by my home of residence for me. And back then, I never had to show any kind of paperwork.

                  For amount you get

                  1. By ZIP code

                  2. By dependents or no dependents (obviously more with dependents. More dependents doesn't increase amount.)

                  3. By rank. E1-E4 is all the same. E5+ you get increasing amounts with every rank. Same goes for officers.
                  Last edited by SteveLord; March 4th, 2011, 03:21 PM. Reason: Clarified.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: BAH during basic?

                    Originally posted by SteveLord View Post
                    For documentation, you shouldn't need any.
                    If you have dependents you dont need documentation for BAH. If single then you must provide lease or mortgage.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: BAH during basic?

                      Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                      If you have dependents you dont need documentation for BAH. If single then you must provide lease or mortgage.
                      Yup, that's what I meant. I went ahead and made that more clear. Thanks.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: BAH during basic?

                        So for a single person with no dependents, is anything else in addition to a lease necessary in order to qualify for BAH? My last drill is in a few weeks and I'm attempting to have all my paperwork squared away.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: BAH during basic?

                          Attention newlywed members: If you're in a situation where you are recently married or you've been married a while or just living together in a house, and only one of you are currently listed on the deed/lease, you can apply for a quitclaim deed either through a lawyer or you can print up a PDF copy from the internet.

                          Here's the deal: Typically, if you are in the aforementioned predicament, the only way to have a name added to the deed from the mortgage lender is to refinance the house. With a quitclaim deed, you can simply have your spouse release the property to both you and your spouse. Why is this necessary? If you're shipping off soon and own a home, you will most likely need to set up a quitclaim deed so you can collect your BAH.

                          It works basically like this:

                          The Grantor: Christopher Lee for the consideration of: one dollar ($1.00) conveys and quit claims to the Grantee: Christopher Lee and Jennifer Lee in the county of: Shawshank, state of Iowa blah, blah, blah, hereto and forthwith.

                          I would suggest just printing one off of the internet. Doesn't make sense to pay a lawyer for what you can easily do yourself. Also, you will need to find a notary to sign off and stamp your quitclaim deed. Then, you'll turn the quitclaim in at your city hall so it can officially be recorded.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: BAH during basic?

                            Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                            Attention newlywed members: If you're in a situation where you are recently married or you've been married a while or just living together in a house, and only one of you are currently listed on the deed/lease, you can apply for a quitclaim deed either through a lawyer or you can print up a PDF copy from the internet.

                            Here's the deal: Typically, if you are in the aforementioned predicament, the only way to have a name added to the deed from the mortgage lender is to refinance the house. With a quitclaim deed, you can simply have your spouse release the property to both you and your spouse. Why is this necessary? If you're shipping off soon and own a home, you will most likely need to set up a quitclaim deed so you can collect your BAH.

                            It works basically like this:

                            The Grantor: Christopher Lee for the consideration of: one dollar ($1.00) conveys and quit claims to the Grantee: Christopher Lee and Jennifer Lee in the county of: Shawshank, state of Iowa blah, blah, blah, hereto and forthwith.

                            I would suggest just printing one off of the internet. Doesn't make sense to pay a lawyer for what you can easily do yourself. Also, you will need to find a notary to sign off and stamp your quitclaim deed. Then, you'll turn the quitclaim in at your city hall so it can officially be recorded.
                            You do not need a lease or deed if you are married to get BAH. The BAH a married person, or some one with dependents, gets is different than the BAH a single individual gets. To receive BAH you have to show proof of your dependents. Marriage license, kids birth certificates and social security cards etc.

                            This was already explained in this thread

                            Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                            If you have dependents you dont need documentation for BAH. If single then you must provide lease or mortgage.
                            Now if you are not married or don't have kids, and playing house with your boyfriend or girlfriend than you would have issues if not on the mortgage or lease. Also only a fool would put some ones name on their deed if they are not married. When you put some one on a deed you give them part ownership to the home. What if you break up? There is no marriage so you are screwed. The simplest thing to do is to get married. Cause if you were going to give some one 50% of your home you would also want to marry that person right?
                            Last edited by LeftyMedic; March 24th, 2011, 01:48 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: BAH during basic?

                              Originally posted by LeftyMedic View Post
                              You do not need a lease or deed if you are married to get BAH. The BAH a married person, or some one with dependents, gets is different than the BAH a single individual gets. To receive BAH you have to show proof of your dependents. Marriage license, kids birth certificates and social security cards etc.

                              This was already explained in this thread
                              The wording in my original message is incorrect, and I sincerely apologize to my fellow members and visitors for that error. If recently married, have been married for a while but you've been living in a house together with one person on the deed, having a quitclaim deed is something good to have. I'm recently married myself, so I would not encourage anyone who is single to do anything with someone who you aren't married to, which involves your finances and/or property. Furthermore, at least have a utility bill in yours and her/his name. Why? Because regardless of what anyone says, whether it's military or civilian, it's better to have it and not need it. I got several different stories from three different people (yes, get a quitclaim deed/you automatically get BAH if you're married etc.), so deductive logic prevailed.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X