Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BAH during basic?

Originally posted by Amalgamation View Post
    Thanks for the reply, anyone else have any input about needing to have the lease notarized?
    Here in the Oregon Army National Guard, we require a notarized lease unless the lease is on our provided form. Big Army does things it's own way.

Comment

Here is a Question about BAH.
      What is the amount you are awarded based on? I got on http://www.military.com/benefits/con...-housing-rates and it said something about it being based on geographic duty location. So if I am based out of a different city then I live, will my BAH be based on that area or the city I live. These cities have different Amounts for BAH.
      Thanks

Comment

It is based on your zip code, which are tied to certain regions that the military uses. Wherever your home of residence is. After that, it is based on whether or not you have dependents. BAH does not increase based on rank until you're E5 (Sergeant) or higher.

Comment

I've been enlisted since August and I ship in May. If I move into a new place and begin a new lease shortly before shipping, will I still be eligible for BAH on that new lease? My concern is that it wasn't my residence when I was given my ship date. Does that matter?

Comment

Answer is yes.

Comment

I have been following this thread and I have a question. I am married and have a mortgage. It is my understand I get BAH for the simple fact that I am married. Would you recommend that I bring a copy of my mortgage documents and utility bill with me?

Comment

Originally posted by bduvall View Post
                I have been following this thread and I have a question. I am married and have a mortgage. It is my understand I get BAH for the simple fact that I am married. Would you recommend that I bring a copy of my mortgage documents and utility bill with me?
                Yes, your recruiter should have advised this to you already. I submitted my 1098, electricity bill, & water bills for that paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by bai78 View Post
                  Yes, your recruiter should have advised this to you already. I submitted my 1098, electricity bill, & water bills for that paperwork.
                  When you said you submitted. Did you submitt it to your recruiter. My recruiter has not asked me for any of these things. neverthless, I am taking them with me when I ship.

Comment

When you said you submitted. Did you submitt it to your recruiter. My recruiter has not asked me for any of these things. neverthless, I am taking them with me when I ship.
                    Yes, I submitted them to my recruiter. It will be included in my packet that I take with me to BCT, at least that is what I was advised. Basically, all I will need to have is my valid ID, social security card, & bank card.

Comment

Yes. It's really a lot simpler if your recruiter has put this stuff in your packet already BEFORE you ship. That way when you're going through the uber long lines at Reception it makes it that much quicker for you and you aren't fumbling around for documents. The MEPS counselors will be able to flip right to and and get you in and out.

Otherwise you could make a long day even worse.

Comment

interesting hypothetical. Let's say a young college student decides to enter the guard. He has two roommates and pays $500 per month on a lease. He goes to basic, receives the BAH, say $1077 per month.(Dallas area) Then the soldier goes to AIT, but his lease expires during the first month of AIT. Let's say his roommates stay in the same apartment, and the NG soldier travels straight to his AIT. His BAH ends, correct, or do the finance people look that closely at the lease?

There is also the issue of his now unhappy roommates, because the total rent is $1500 per month. The NG soldier didn't return home, because he was encouraged to travel straight to AIT. The roommates want to rent his room, but then have to decide whether to get rid of all of his stuff or keep it for him. The soldier could solve the problem by paying his rent anyway, or he could decide to not pay the rent and risk losing all of his stuff. Or he could pay his roommates a flat fee to move his stuff for him to a storage place, and pay the storage rent facility until he returned home.

Interesting

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                          It's best if it is notarized, however, technically for it to be notarized you would have to have your landlord there with you and that isn't always something you're able to do. Bring with you if you can a copy of a utility bill from where you live if you can.
                          Not neccesarily true. You can have it notarized twice...once for each signature

Comment

Working...
                          X