X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC/SMP Question

Iím a freshman in college right now at the University of Massachusetts. Iíve been looking into the ROTC program for next year, I know the Guard has the Tuition Assistance and the ROTC will cover my off campus living expenses next year. I want to enlist before this year is over and do basic training over the summer to join SMP. The only questions I have are about the GI Bill-SR and the Selected Reserves KickerÖ

Will I be eligible for the GI Bill and kicker if I do ROTC or does the ROTC stipend wipe that away?

I was also considering doing Advanced training right after basic (taking my first semester off next fall then returning and signing with ROTC during the winter intersession and spring semester)

Iím about a week away from doing MEPS and signing my contract, any answers/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: ROTC/SMP Question

You have to complete AIT to get the GI Bill. Therefore choose an MOS you can complete in one summer such as 88M.

The GI bill and if you get the kicker is about 36K. So it's worth completeing AIT. Do it. Take a semester off if you have to.

Comment

Be advised: Once you contract into ROTC, your Stipend (which is significantly less than the MGIB-SR + Kicker) will take over for your GI Bill. You can't double-dip.

Comment

Thanks for that info, I have always thought you could, if you were SMP.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
          Be advised: Once you contract into ROTC, your Stipend (which is significantly less than the MGIB-SR + Kicker) will take over for your GI Bill. You can't double-dip.
          That's not the information I'm getting from our ROTC recruiter. I just checked with him and he said that you can receive both (GI Bill and Stipend) at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
            That's not the information I'm getting from our ROTC recruiter. I just checked with him and he said that you can receive both (GI Bill and Stipend) at the same time.
            That was my understanding also. Because once you finish AIT they are obligated to give you the GI BILL.

Comment

I have also been told, and read numerous times that as a contracted ROTC SMP Cadet who has completed Basic AND AIT, you will get GI Bill, Kicker, Stipend, and E-5 drill pay. Look here: http://www.armyrotc.uga.edu/page.asp...am_smp_gi_bill

Comment

Originally posted by ABurris92 View Post
                I have also been told, and read numerous times that as a contracted ROTC SMP Cadet who has completed Basic AND AIT, you will get GI Bill, Kicker, Stipend, and E-5 drill pay. Look here: http://www.armyrotc.uga.edu/page.asp...am_smp_gi_bill
                The question you should ask (but aren't) is, "is it a good idea to take the GI Bill as an undergrad?"

You only have a certain number of months of GI Bill usage, so don't use them unless you need to. If that GI Bill money buys your food, then use it. If it buys your Archie comics and cream soda, then don't use it. Save it for later, for grad school or continuing education, when you really need it. In addition, ARNG Soldiers qualify for Chapter 1606 of the GI Bill, which is the least lucrative. If you later spend time mobilized, then you can qualify for Chapter 1607 and Chapter 33, which are much more generous.

Comment

Correction of my last post. You will still receive the GI Bill if you contract and, as ABurris92 said, receive the Kicker, Stipend and E5 Drill Pay. HOWEVER, if you enlist w/ an elistment bonus and contract somehow before you complete IET and/or before your 36th month enlistment anniversary you will lose that bonus.

Comment

Working...
                  X