X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEERS/Tricare

When exactly do I need to register my spouse in DEERS? Is it ASAP after we're married. Also, I've tried to look on the TriCare website but for some reason it's not working for me on multiple computers. For the Tricare Reserve Select Plan, what exactly is covered? What are the co-pays for visits to MTFs or Doctors' offices?

Re: DEERS/Tricare

It is always best to get DEERS updated as soon as possible, this normally takes place when you get the dependant ID card and you have to have all your proof of marraige info/paperwork at the ID card site, and into your unit as well. Although individual units do not necessarily have ID card capabilities, you are able to utilize your state facility, as well you can utilize ID card facilities on active duty posts as well. Your unit should be able to get you the info you need on thier process for getting a dependant ID card and getting DEERS updated - it is a fairly easy process, and you an follow-up via the DEERS link on AKO - so call your unit first.

Since you are in El Paso you may be that small part of Texas that falls under the TriWest region of Tricare ( www.triwest.com - 888.TRI.WEST) should be able to help you on the info. If you call TriWest, let them know when you get an agent that you are calling specifically about Reserve Select, they have always been very helpful to me. The application is a downloadable paper that you fill out and either fax or mail in. Since you live near an active duty post, there will be a local TriCare/TriWest office that you can visit as well to help with questions and the application process (I use this alot to avoid the horror stories I have heard in the past about getting TRS set up...)
    Last edited by LRSU_Dog; February 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Here are the 3 RAPIDS locations in your area:

647th RSG El Paso TX USAR (915) 832-4960

FT. BLISS TX USA (915) 568-2000

NOSC EL PASO TX USNR (915) 565-3993

RAPIDS Site Locator

Comment

Thanks a bunch. I am under the TriWest region, I'll be sure to call them up. I'm not getting married until May either, so at least I have some time.

Comment

Be sure to get her registered in DEERS as soon as possible after your married, but you have to know it's going to take a while to get all her ID's changed over to her new last name (if in fact she's taking your name). I just went through that myself, and it took up to a couple of months to get everything done.

Start with SSA and everything will domino from there.

Have your/her car squared away and you can get a decal on the same day at the base. Saves time and they won't look at you all crazy when you try to run to the Commissary...

Comment

By SSA do you mean Social Security Administration?
            Also, on the base close to me, they don't really enforce vehicle decals (I go on base all the time with my vehicle w/o a decal) should I still get them for us?
            My fiance isn't a US citizen, who do I need to talk to to ge the ball rolling there?

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarSoldier View Post
              ... what exactly is covered? What are the co-pays for visits to MTFs or Doctors' offices?
              By the way, every RAPIDS site is supposed to have a full array of TRI-CARE pamphlets that gives you a full description of benefits.

Comment

Don't bet on a stack of pamphlets.. but there is info on TriCare posted around most RAPIDS sites, best to just go to the local TriCare/TriWest service center if you have one locally.

As to the foriegn wife - been there done that....

1. Make sure she has been approved to become a U.S. Resident (green card holder) once she has either temp or perm res status she can apply for a social security card (just start using the married name she will use). Make sure CIS gets all the name change info, and SSN info so that the ball does not stop rolling on that end.

2. Get an ID card using the married name, as shown on the marraige certificate, use the married name info when get inputted into DEERS.

3. If you can bet a base sticker - do, it registers your car in the military system, and saves hassles when visiting other bases.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks. Right now she's on a student-visa (i.e. can be in the US as long as she takes a certain amount of classes). She already has a SS card so she can work as well. I heard that ACS might be able to help...

Comment

Love at first sight? Isnt young love grand??

Based on your comments, I will suggest a pre-nup

Comment

haha very funny

Comment

I thought I would just jump on this thread rather than start a new one...

1. Do I have to sign up for Tricare? I will not make very much for drills as a PFC (until OCS) so I am curious if I have to sign up for Tricare? I have top of the line medical and dental through my State Gov't position so Tricare (at this point) would just be eating up a chunk of my drill pay.

2. How do I go about signing my kids up for DEERS? Does this not happen until I go to or have completed BCT? I only ask because some have said I should be able to get my ID 45 days after enlistment and my recruiter says I won't get it until Basic Training?

3. I have found a few links for Family Support Services in my area but am curious if anyone knows of a site where there might be more? I want to have as many support services as possible in place for my kids while I'm away.

I only ask because ever since I enlisted my recruiter has not been available to answer all of these 'supplemental' questions that I have. I am now enlisted, so he is hard at work helping others get there, but does not seem to have time to answer these kind of queries.

Please Note: I do not have an AKO account as of yet because I am SO new, I am not yet in iperms, so if there are available resources and links for the regular web, it would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                          I thought I would just jump on this thread rather than start a new one...

1. Do I have to sign up for Tricare? I will not make very much for drills as a PFC (until OCS) so I am curious if I have to sign up for Tricare? I have top of the line medical and dental through my State Gov't position so Tricare (at this point) would just be eating up a chunk of my drill pay.

2. How do I go about signing my kids up for DEERS? Does this not happen until I go to or have completed BCT? I only ask because some have said I should be able to get my ID 45 days after enlistment and my recruiter says I won't get it until Basic Training?

3. I have found a few links for Family Support Services in my area but am curious if anyone knows of a site where there might be more? I want to have as many support services as possible in place for my kids while I'm away.

I only ask because ever since I enlisted my recruiter has not been available to answer all of these 'supplemental' questions that I have. I am now enlisted, so he is hard at work helping others get there, but does not seem to have time to answer these kind of queries.

Please Note: I do not have an AKO account as of yet because I am SO new, I am not yet in iperms, so if there are available resources and links for the regular web, it would help.
                          No, you do not have to sign up for Tricare. In fact, If I were you, I wouldn't apply unless you absolutely have no other health insurance whatsoever--especially if you're not active duty. Family coverage for Tricare is around $300 a month give or take a few dollars and they're planning on increasing Tricare premiums.

You can get ID's made for family members about two weeks after you get your contract in hand. You can find out where your nearest ID station is through the RAPIDS locator.

Do not worry about any internet accounts. They will give you a questionare to fill out every time you go to drill. An NCO will assign you all your account info by your second drill.

Comment

Working...
                          X