Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

flagged for drug test, will i receive the other half of my enlistment bonus?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: flagged for drug test, will i receive the other half of my enlistment bonus?

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
    +1. Don't expect to see the other half of that bonus unless your state is really FUBAR. Consider yourself lucky to only have been flagged. My commander & I would have pushed for seperation.
    +2. In most cases you will be booted out of the military. Some times the commander, and by commander I mean the first 0-6 in your chain of command, may decide to retain you upon condition that you are actively in a drug rehabilitation program. For E1-4 it is pretty typical that they all get the boot. E-5 and above there is a chance they can be retained but in almost all cases they get knocked down to at least a E-3 if not all the way down to E-1 IF they are in fact retained. This is the way it works in my state and they are pretty strict with little variance throughout.

OP you should consider yourself very lucky they have not tried to recoup the first half of your bonus! Or your state may be really slow like mine, in which case they may be in the process of recouping that 10k.

Comment

Re: flagged for drug test, will i receive the other half of my enlistment bonus?

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
      Just out of curiousity--what was in your system that made you fail the test? Prescription drugs? Over the counter drugs? Bodybuilding supplements?
      Bodybuilding supplements won't make you fail a test unless that supplement is Meth.

Comment

Sounds like you need to speak with a chaplain.

Comment

Originally posted by SGT Juggernaut View Post
          Bodybuilding supplements won't make you fail a test unless that supplement is Meth.
          I was just being facetious.

Comment

HAHA, ****, I'm not taking whey protein anymore. I'm going on the Meth supplement plan!

Comment

Originally posted by EOrsini View Post
              HAHA, ****, I'm not taking whey protein anymore. I'm going on the Meth supplement plan!
              What better way to cut up for the summer!

Comment

ZINGA!

Hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by LRSU_Dog View Post
                  In short - if you want to ensure you recieve any bonus, benefit, or entitlement - DO NOT DO ILLEGAL DRUGS, unauthorized controlled substances, or any substance deemed off-limits by the military... If you are still lucky enough to be wearing the uniform then you should be happy with that. My command, for example, put out a zero tolerance for even first time offenders - and yes they are out. Perhaps this forum is not the place to try to find a touchy-feely-warm-and-fuzzy sensitivity on this subject.

If you want to find the actual answer to your question, then you need to approach your unit and command for the response that will apply to you.
                  This is the stuff that I get a chuckle out of. Makes my head spin when I am doing my job. Seeing how the TAG is the seperation authority for all issues in the National Guard, I love it when a subordinate command makes zero tolerance policies as this. Your commander has absolutly zero, zilch, nada, nothing in regards towards authority to seperate a soldier. However, its the Guard, and J1's do what they want. Someone wasted alot of paper when they printed AR 135-178.

Comment

+2. In most cases you will be booted out of the military. Some times the commander, and by commander I mean the first 0-6 in your chain of command, may decide to retain you upon condition that you are actively in a drug rehabilitation program. For E1-4 it is pretty typical that they all get the boot. E-5 and above there is a chance they can be retained but in almost all cases they get knocked down to at least a E-3 if not all the way down to E-1 IF they are in fact retained. This is the way it works in my state and they are pretty strict with little variance throughout.

OP you should consider yourself very lucky they have not tried to recoup the first half of your bonus! Or your state may be really slow like mine, in which case they may be in the process of recouping that 10k.
                    Please show me the authority used to demote an E-5 and above to an E-1 or even E-3 for that matter. Actually, I will give someone 5 cools points if they can show me the authority used to demote any soldier for failing a single drug test. I know it happens all over, but don't waste your time. There is no authority for it. If only Joe knew.....

Comment

Ok all chuckling aside... initiate seperation procedings does not mean mandatory discharge (but can lead to discharge)... but I do get a lil peeved when I am pointed to one AR when it does not apply and another does... And just as I need to reaquaint myself with a few regs again, I think other should as well...

"In addition, the Army made several other changes to the program. One of these changes requires unit commanders to process for administrative separation all soldiers identified as illegal drug users. This policy change caused some confusion, as it did not comport with the policy in the enlisted separations regulations. (82) The Department of the Army (DA) recently published a message clarifying that commanders will follow the policy outlined in the revised AR 600-85."
                      ( http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...t/ai_96196002/ )

It is not a waste of paper if used correctly - it just seems that blanket AR's are not the norm as they were 20-30 years ago...

And I do agree, I know an NCO can loose one grade for reduction, but not more than one - while an enlisted soldier can be reduced one or two grades; of course dependant on the offense and etc etc etc...
                      Last edited by LRSU_Dog; February 24th, 2011, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                        If only Joe knew.....
                        This is absurd to say anymore... JOE has access to all the AR's, FM's, etc, etc, etc. Reimer's Library, AKO, The Army Publishing Directorate, NGB Pubs - all available online. So if Joe does not know - then he should start reading. Everything in the Army, ARNG, and USAR is fairly clear and spelled out... hence the number of regulations, manuals, pamphlets, etc...
                        Last edited by LRSU_Dog; February 23rd, 2011, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Please show me the authority used to demote an E-5 and above to an E-1 or even E-3 for that matter. Actually, I will give someone 5 cools points if they can show me the authority used to demote any soldier for failing a single drug test. I know it happens all over, but don't waste your time. There is no authority for it. If only Joe knew.....
                          Good to see a 101st, Rakkasan trooper that works with JAG on this forum.

Comment

I thunk that certain grade officers (not specialty branch) could demote people. I thought that a MAJ or above could demote a SGT. And a Company grade officer could demote SPC and below.

My RRNCO said he's spent 15 years in the the military and has been demoted twice and if he stayed another 15 he would be demoted twice more. LOL. He's really a top notch soldier.

Comment

I am also quite confused on this issue...

We had an E4 that pissed hot and was demoted to E3. She then got drunk later on and crashed an NCOs car (let's just say Feb drill was her last).

Why can't Commanders demote due to failed drug test? I assume it's implied in the regulation that Commanders can use demotion as an administrative action? I'm not sure about this whole situation because I have never needed to worry about it.

Comment

AR 600-8-19 Chapter 10-8. A reduction board can recommend reduction of one or more grades.

Comment

Working...
                                X