X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEB/VA disability benefits?

So please someone just clarify this in laymens terms. I'm currently in the National Guard, I'm going thru the MEB process. I recently received word that the VA has gave me 50%, and the army will Medical retire me at 30%. My question is, do I get a check from both agencies?

Originally posted by Roger9358 View Post
    So please someone just clarify this in laymens terms. I'm currently in the National Guard, I'm going thru the MEB process. I recently received word that the VA has gave me 50%, and the army will Medical retire me at 30%. My question is, do I get a check from both agencies?
    Generally speaking no. This is the most common question asked in the Disability Evaluation Process and it should have been explained to you at least once by your PEBLO and most likely again by the Office of Soldiers Counsel.

There are two scenarios where you can receive dual payment.

The first is reffered to as CRDP (Concurrent Receipt Disability Pay). For this you must have served a qualifying 20 year period and have a VA rating of 50% or higher. For CRDP you must be drawing retired pay on 20 years of service and not medical retirement. In other words, if you are a reserve member you have to wait till age 60 for this to take effect. An active duty retirement allows CRDP to start right away if the other conditions are met.

The second scenario is CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation). For this you have to be drawing some type of retired pay to include medical retirement and have a VA rating of 10% or higher. At least one of your conditions must have resulted from armed conflit, instrumentality of war, hazardous service, or simulating war. Soley getting injured while in theatre is not enough to qualify.

In all other scenarios your monthly compensation will not exceed which ever rating is going to pay you higher. If your VA rating pays you 2 dollars, and your army rating pays you 1 dollar then you will get two dollars from the VA not taxed and 0 dollars from the army.

If your army rating pays you two dollars and your VA rating pays you 1 dollar, then you will receive 1 dollar from the va untaxed and 1 dollar from the army taxed..... But, you will NOT receive 3 dollars.
    Last edited by realitycheck; March 18th, 2014, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X