X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QRB and Retirement Question

I currently have 18 years of Guard Service, 14 of which was active/AGR time. I am currently AGR. I was told today that I may likely not pass a QRB, and would be forced to retire in 2 years with 20 years of National Guard service. Since I don't have 20 active duty years, I must wait until I'm 60 to collect my retirement.

Is there anything i can do to ensure I can finish out my AGR time (or any active duty time) to receive my retirement pension when I have reached 20 years active (in roughly 6 more years)? Or am I screwed? Please help! I need to know my options.

SFC K

Well, find out first what happens with the QRB. How many months are you away from 15 years? I am active and if I do not get picked up in 2014, I could face a forced out in 2015 (if non-select again) but I will have 15 years of active duty service and will be eligible for a retirement under TERA; which will give me immediate pension of above 35% base pay. I will find out if you can be eligible for that. I do not know if its for only title 10 only. I have to find the powerpoint to confirm. I get back to you on that.

Found that link here http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/Ho....html?serv=147

Guess not
    This early retirement benefit will not be extended to Soldiers who:
    a. Were previously separated under Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI), Special Separation Benefit (SSB), or Voluntary Separation Pay (VSP) programs.
    b. Are under evaluation for disability retirement under Title 10, Chapter 61.
    c. Are members of the Army National Guard or U.S. Army Reserves.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; November 22nd, 2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

BTW, how old are you now?

Comment

This is like asking what you can do the day before an APFT to help your score -- not much. This board judges your performance over your career and your potential for future service. The QRB isn't designed to screw any one individual, but to manage the force as a whole by identifying those Soldiers with 20 years of qualifying service (and are thus eligible for a retirement) who have performed adequately, and return their talents to the civilian workforce. This frees up a higher-graded position for someone with greater potential.

While you may consider that this system "screws" you, consider that there's an E6 right now who considers himself screwed because there are no E7 vacancies.

Reference: AR 135-205, Enlisted Personnel Management

Comment

Working...
        X