Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you get promoted in the retired reserve?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you get promoted in the retired reserve?

Hi all,

got my 20yr letter, retired and went into the RR. I went out as an E6, is there anyway to get promoted while a gray area retiree? As you can guess it would bump up the check in 12 yrs.

thanks

Re: Can you get promoted in the retired reserve?

I did not see any promotions but I saw retirees who volunteered to get activated to go to Iraq and that earned them more retirement pay in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by plannermann View Post
      Hi all,

got my 20yr letter, retired and went into the RR. I went out as an E6, is there anyway to get promoted while a gray area retiree? As you can guess it would bump up the check in 12 yrs.

thanks
      It actually would not bump up your check at all, even if they promoted you to O-10. DFAS already has your high 3 locked in, that is the 36 months of your highest base pay that will be used for retirement pay. The rank you hold is just an abbreviation on an ID card.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
        I did not see any promotions but I saw retirees who volunteered to get activated to go to Iraq and that earned them more retirement pay in the long run.
        If this is true (which I am unsure) it raises retired pay only because it would adjust the high 36 used for the average.

Comment

Originally posted by plannermann View Post
          No, for exactly the reason that you stated.

Comment

Originally posted by realitycheck View Post
            If this is true (which I am unsure) it raises retired pay only because it would adjust the high 36 used for the average.
            I met a activated retiree in Iraq and two E-8s in Afghanistan that were AD retired. One was already retired for 11 years when he volunteered. He told me the 14 month deployment will boost his retirement pay reflecting the changes in his pay scale while activated.

BLUF: the active duty deployment caused a re-adjustment to retired pay. Your remarks are correct except......

High-3 did not apply to him because I think he said he retired in 99. Volunteer to deploy to Afghanistan in 2010. So he entered the service before 1980 in which High-3 is not applicable for him (straight 50% on his final pay). Got out as an E-8 with 20 years in 1999 (base pay then was 3207.00 - half is 1603 (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/nlpay.htm ). So in 2010, he is getting paid as an E-8 with over 30 years of service (I figured it will be over 30 than 20/21 - now 5306.00 - half is 2653 http://www.navycs.com/2010-military-pay-chart.html ). Vast difference in pay between those two time periods and he should of increased his monthly retirement by 1000.00 or less since his current retirement in 2010 had received COLA raises.

So, it was a win-win for him.
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 4th, 2013, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X