X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discharges

From our former CG and his opinion on the matter.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...crease-sharply
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM.

Re: Discharges

“It was like my best friend betrayed me,” Alvaro said from a hospital bed. “I had given the Army everything, and they took everything away.”
    Who betrayed who? AWOL, drug use? These are to be overlooked? DUIs/domestic violence are these to be over looked as well? Being fat and not being able to pass a PT test, are these not thier fault as well?

The Soldier has responsiblity in this as well and can't lay all the blame on the Army.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
      From our new CG and what he is saying is absolutely true.

The Gazette found that several soldiers who tested positive for drugs were deployed anyway because the Army needed combat troops. But when they returned, they were discharged for the offense.
      Go to war or go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
        Who betrayed who? AWOL, drug use? These are to be overlooked? DUIs/domestic violence are these to be over looked as well? Being fat and not being able to pass a PT test, are these not thier fault as well?

The Soldier has responsiblity in this as well and can't lay all the blame on the Army.
        Overlooked no...but I can tell you from my professional experience these issues are not being treated consistant to the past decade, for obvious reasons. Whther is it right wrong or indifferent...its true.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
          Go to war or go to jail.
          More like, here's your pre-deployment drug screen and the SM is in country before the results come back.

Comment

The Captain makes an excellent point. I had and have Soldiers who are in behavioral health and others who take advantage of programs to help them out. Adding more to the problem is not going to benefit the Soldier and provide commands ammunition for quick and easy discharges.

Granted, the service records of these Soldiers are much more different than Soldiers in the last decade and it makes sense to give a General under Honorable so they can still receive VA benefits. I guess someone has to keep the Army Board of Corrections busy for years to come and on top of that; more bureaucratic backlog.

Comment

The Captain makes an excellent point. I had and have Soldiers who are in behavioral health and others who take advantage of programs to help them out. Adding more to the problem is not going to benefit the Soldier and provide commands ammunition for quick and easy discharges.
              Where I take issue is this:

“I see it every day,” said Lenore Yarger, a veterans advocate near Fort Bragg. “We have gotten very efficient at getting people to fight wars but are not prepared to deal with the aftermath.”
              I've talked with many veterans as well as researched data over the years--Yes I can understand where some veterans or active duty soldiers may try to take advantage of or 'game' the system i.e. commit infractions like the aforementioned. But there are others that truly may truly be experiencing impaired judgement for any number of emotional or psychological reasons. How do you differentiate between the dirt bags and the ones that are truly impaired, hence a vast array of issues--Veterans receiving benefits that may not deserve it. Active duty soldiers that go through multiple deployments without proper care etc. It's a system that must be streamlined. What's the problem?

Click image for larger version

Name:	63996f311ef15d1a2b2bf620d96ba197.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	416

Comment

That is one thing I could never figure out. A reservist with an honorable discharge (Not called to active duty by presidential order such as during Desert Storm/OIF) gets no VA benefits yet someone with less than honorable in active duty can get benefits. Reservist are classified along with those having committed crimes, less than desirable discharges, or those kicked out of boot camp in those not qualifying for veterans benefits.
                What would you rather have? An HONORABLE DISCHARGE from the armed forces gained in the reserves or a LESS THAN HONORABLE discharge with full VA benefits? I think I would rather have the latter. What good is an honorable discharge that does nothing for you? Me?

Granted, the service records of these Soldiers are much more different than Soldiers in the last decade and it makes sense to give a General under Honorable so they can still receive VA benefits. I guess someone has to keep the Army Board of Corrections busy for years to come and on top of that; more bureaucratic backlog.

Comment

The issue for VA benefits is they ONLY look at the DD 214. You can get a crappy discharge from the Guard / Reserve but if you have a honorable on a dd 214 from a deployment you will still get benefits. Ive said before, that there are actually people in Fort Leavenworth serving time and going to school online with the GI Bill. One period of bad service does NOT take away benfits previously earned for a good period.

Comment

I've talked with many veterans as well as researched data over the years--Yes I can understand where some veterans or active duty soldiers may try to take advantage of or 'game' the system i.e. commit infractions like the aforementioned. But there are others that truly may truly be experiencing impaired judgement for any number of emotional or psychological reasons. How do you differentiate between the dirt bags and the ones that are truly impaired, hence a vast array of issues--Veterans receiving benefits that may not deserve it. Active duty soldiers that go through multiple deployments without proper care etc. It's a system that must be streamlined. What's the problem?
                    Not to be mean but news paper articles and gossip probably isn't going to count as research.

You're probably not going to find a good solution. You can't "streamline" mental health. It takes patience on the part of the SM to go through the whole process. Patience many of them don't have and quit the system and wonder why they are getting chaptered out.
                    Last edited by RedLeg; May 22nd, 2013, 09:50 PM.

Comment

From our former CG and his opinion on the matter.

That's a true article. Now these servicemembers are kicked out with less than honorables, thus voiding their benefits, and now sit alongside RESERVIST with honorables that don't rate va benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by marinecomm View Post
                        That's a true article. Now these servicemembers are kicked out with less than honorables, thus voiding their benefits, and now sit alongside RESERVIST with honorables that don't rate va benefits.
                        Getting put out with a bad discharge does not automatically void benefits.

Comment

Working...
                        X