X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IRR and retirement

An excerpt from this week's Army Times. Get them while its hot.

15-year retirement option opens again

By Jim Tice

jtice@militarytimes.com

The 15-year early retirement option again will be offered to certain categories of active and reserve soldiers who are selected for involuntary separation in fiscal 2014 because of promotion passovers or drawdown-related force management
    programs. The 15-year retirement option, officially the Temporary Early Retirement Authority, was established by Army Secretary John McHugh last fall as the Army prepared to launch a series of retention screening boards for officers and senior non-commissioned officers of the Regular Army and Army Reserve.Congress earlier authorized the military services to use TERA as a force management program through fiscal 2018, which ends Sept. 30, 2018.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 1st, 2013, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Question ?

Comment

I have served 20 good yrs between active duty and national guard and I have been tagged to go through the MEB, Im currently rated by the VA at 90% service connected and I know that the rate will be looked at again in the MEB/PEB process, will I be able to continue to draw my VA while my MEB/PEB is in the pipeline ? And can my VA rate go down ? If I am medical retired what pay scale will be used to determine my retirement pay national guard/reserve or active duty ? since my disability is combat related will I be able to draw right away or wait till in 60 ?
        Last edited by LOG NCO; January 9th, 2014, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Quick background. I was active for 12 years, SELRES for 2, and IRR for the last 4. I've promoted and high year tenure is not an issue. I'm about to complete my 19th good year but a medical issue I was rated for (VA - initially 0%) has gotten worse (right eye no longer correctable), and I am guessing I am no longer fit, even for the reserves. It's so hard to find any information about this. I guess I am technically a civilian and I'd like to have an idea if i'll be booted out and lose everything. I'm just nervous about the whole thing and trying to find some ground truth before proceeding. What happens when somebody becomes unfit for duty in the IRR so close to retirement? Any help or clarity is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X