Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRR and retirement

Hello new here.
    I have some questions about the IRR. I知 sure this question has been asked a million times so please forgive me, but I really need some advice.

I am an enlisted soldier with 17 years of service. The state is going to medically retire me. This is what I want. I also have a VA claim pending; I expect it to be between 80-90%. I have been waiting for 18 months for the VA claim. Once I get my claim I知 going to have to pay back my drill payments I received while I was waiting for my claim. I am a senior enlisted soldier so I get paid a lot. I will not be able to afford losing all that money when I get my claim. I would rather lose the money now on the front end then later on the back end when I get my claim. I also have other reasons to go IRR. My medical retirement is cut and dry there is no question or doubts to my conditions.

My question is: how do I go IRR? Can I be IRR and still go through the process of medical retirement or do I need to be actively drilling?

Re: IRR and retirement

Originally posted by mp527 View Post
    Hello new here.
    I have some questions about the IRR. I知 sure this question has been asked a million times so please forgive me, but I really need some advice.

I am an enlisted soldier with 17 years of service. The state is going to medically retire me. This is what I want. I also have a VA claim pending; I expect it to be between 80-90%. I have been waiting for 18 months for the VA claim. Once I get my claim I知 going to have to pay back my drill payments I received while I was waiting for my claim. I am a senior enlisted soldier so I get paid a lot. I will not be able to afford losing all that money when I get my claim. I would rather lose the money now on the front end then later on the back end when I get my claim. I also have other reasons to go IRR. My medical retirement is cut and dry there is no question or doubts to my conditions.

My question is: how do I go IRR? Can I be IRR and still go through the process of medical retirement or do I need to be actively drilling?
    Answer these questions first.

Are you in an MEB?

Do You have a P3 profile?

Were you offered early retirement at 15 years?!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
      Answer these questions first.

Are you in an MEB?

Do You have a P3 profile?

Were you offered early retirement at 15 years?!!!!!
      I am just starting the peb/meb process I’m pretty sure it will be an informal board.

Yes I have a p3, the state is not contesting or doubting any of my conditions.

Yes I was offered early retirement, I was told I would receive all benefits as if I retired at 20 years however I would only be paid according to my current points and 17 years of service not the full 7200/20 years. Which I’m ok with.

Comment

I am just starting the peb/meb process I知 pretty sure it will be an informal board.

Yes I have a p3, the state is not contesting or doubting any of my conditions.

Yes I was offered early retirement, I was told I would receive all benefits as if I retired at 20 years however I would only be paid according to my current points and 17 years of service not the full 7200/20 years. Which I知 ok with.
        What I am saying is sometimes Soldiers are offered retirement after 15 years of service in lieu of MEB/PEB. Units hope they accept because MEB/PEB is a long strung out process, however this is NEVER to the Soldiers advantage. If you are in the beginning stages of MEB/PEB you will need a 30% or higher rating FROM THE PEB to retire (that is not the same as the VA). If you are in MEB/PEB the previous VA claim you have made is now moot. All MEB/PEB is now done via the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) which will get you a VA rating at the same time. In other words, what you have already done to try and get a VA claim, you will be doing over again. The rating that you receive is going to determine retirement amount and there are a few variables as to how that will work. I can go into more detail if you have further questions.....ask them.

Comment

Since he is a part-timer and goes through a PEB/MEB whatever. If he rates a disability, is that amount the same as AD folks? I am curious to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            Since he is a part-timer and goes through a PEB/MEB whatever. If he rates a disability, is that amount the same as AD folks? I am curious to know.
            Money is drawn immediately as opposed to waiting till 60, however dollar for dollar the math can work out to be different amounts. This is only for the rating from the army. VA ratings are all at fixed amounts for everyone, regardless.

Comment

Money is drawn immediately as opposed to waiting till 60, however dollar for dollar the math can work out to be different amounts. This is only for the rating from the army. VA ratings are all at fixed amounts for everyone, regardless.
              This is different from what I was told could someone be misleading me? Please explain more now I’m nervous.
              I am not too concerned about collecting my retirement now I am fine with waiting until I am 60.
              Can I go on IRR while I go through this process?

Comment

What I am saying is sometimes Soldiers are offered retirement after 15 years of service in lieu of MEB/PEB. Units hope they accept because MEB/PEB is a long strung out process, however this is NEVER to the Soldiers advantage. If you are in the beginning stages of MEB/PEB you will need a 30% or higher rating FROM THE PEB to retire (that is not the same as the VA). If you are in MEB/PEB the previous VA claim you have made is now moot. All MEB/PEB is now done via the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) which will get you a VA rating at the same time. In other words, what you have already done to try and get a VA claim, you will be doing over again. The rating that you receive is going to determine retirement amount and there are a few variables as to how that will work. I can go into more detail if you have further questions.....ask them.
                is this the same for me because i am not full time?

Comment

is this the same for me because i am not full time?
                  Yes. The MEB/PEB and/or IDES process is the same regardless of status.

Comment

This is different from what I was told could someone be misleading me? Please explain more now I知 nervous.
                    I am not too concerned about collecting my retirement now I am fine with waiting until I am 60.
                    Can I go on IRR while I go through this process?
                    The reality is the Army doesn't understand this process. And I don't understand why you want to go through this in the IRR. Yes, technically people go through it in the IRR sometimes, but trust me you don't want that. Nor is there a benefit in doing so.

Like I previously told you if you have started a MEB, this means your state sent your packet to Pinellas Park Florida, your VA claim will stop processing. They will processing a VA claim simultaneously while going through the MEB. It can/may have a back date on it to when you originally filed, but you won't really be "waiting" for what you filed any more.

Whether or not you are in the IRR is not going to avoid possible recoupment of any money that falls under the dual compensation prohibitions of this process.

Don't get to caught up on my dollar for dollar comment. If you are medically retired at 30% or higher, you will draw money immediately. The dollar for dollar comment is relevant to Chief's question regarding medical retirement between a FULL TIME Soldier vs a part time, in which, for some calculations points come into play.

Listen to what no one tells you about MEB/PEB (except for me of course) and those working at this organization below....

https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/OSC

Comment

I am about to go through the MEB also. I would like to do this in the IRR because I do not want to attend drill anymore and I do not want to have to pay back the money from drill offset by my VA disability (90%). What is the benefit of staying in and going through the year+ hassle of the MEB? If I do this while in the IRR and am found unfit, can I collect my retirement immediately? Or, because I am in the IRR, do I have to wait until age 60? I have 30+ years of service; 7 active and the remaining reserve. I have 4800 points.

Comment

Originally posted by tenbenz View Post
                        I am about to go through the MEB also. I would like to do this in the IRR because I do not want to attend drill anymore and I do not want to have to pay back the money from drill offset by my VA disability (90%). What is the benefit of staying in and going through the year+ hassle of the MEB? If I do this while in the IRR and am found unfit, can I collect my retirement immediately? Or, because I am in the IRR, do I have to wait until age 60? I have 30+ years of service; 7 active and the remaining reserve. I have 4800 points.
                        Do you already have a 90% rating?

Absolutely do not attemp this process in the IRR. For one, I don't think you can make the move once the meb is triggered anyway. You will always collect a disabilty retirement immediatley, but depending on you rank it may not be a hire monetary value and you would just keep getting the VA amount anyways. You will not collect both va and disability unless you qualify for CRSC or CRDP (the latter one goes in effect at 60.)

I'm here ask me questions.

Comment

i just want to throw something out there. I am in the guard and collect 80% VA disability. I am still actively drilling and am not getting out. I don't know if it would be the same in this case but I do not pay back any military pay. Last year my most recent claim was finally processed and when the VA payed the back pay they automatically took out the amount I made from Drilling during the date it was processed and then paid. Then every year I get my letter from the VA stating that I can't collect VA and Guard pay on the same dates so I can elect to drill without pay the next year or I can elect to have the VA not pay me for the days I drilled.

You have to calculate which way would be better for you but so far I have elected not to receive VA pay. So in 2011 I drilled 52 days, in 2012 they took out 52 days of VA pay. So I only lost a month and a half of VA disability pay.

Comment

Originally posted by sully375 View Post
                            i just want to throw something out there. I am in the guard and collect 80% VA disability. I am still actively drilling and am not getting out. I don't know if it would be the same in this case but I do not pay back any military pay. Last year my most recent claim was finally processed and when the VA payed the back pay they automatically took out the amount I made from Drilling during the date it was processed and then paid. Then every year I get my letter from the VA stating that I can't collect VA and Guard pay on the same dates so I can elect to drill without pay the next year or I can elect to have the VA not pay me for the days I drilled.

You have to calculate which way would be better for you but so far I have elected not to receive VA pay. So in 2011 I drilled 52 days, in 2012 they took out 52 days of VA pay. So I only lost a month and a half of VA disability pay.
                            This is a great post, which I concur with, but for everyobe else understabd this is rare. Most people cannot get to 80% VA without a condition that also would put then into MEB. The MEB process is never a soldier or command option. I post this only so people don't get the impression that you can opt out of MEB....you cannot

The previous poster still shoumd not go irr.

Comment

Mr. Incognito,

Thank you for replying. Can you give me reasons for not wanting to do this in the IRR? I am currently rated 90% from the VA and I also have a 50-50 chance at being rated at 100 once my contentions are heard and I do currently qualify for CRSC. I am an E9 and have been in the Reserves 35 years, 7 of which is AD. I have 4 deployments. I have a P3 profile. I was originally going the MEB route, but was told that if I was medically discharged, my VA pay would more than likely be higher than my medical retirement pay and would be offset. So I figured why bother going through the year long process for essentially nothing. So I decided I could go in the IRR and still get points, still get the SGLI, and I could also keep my ID Card. Then I was advised that my med retirement would be augmented by CSRC and I stood a good chance of collecting something right away.

Here's where the IRR makes sense to me. My job in the military requires a boat load of time. Other than the 12 weekends, I am expected to be on 3 phone conferences a month, I do 29 days of AT, and I do a bunch more stuff for the flag. I also have to travel quite frequently. The Reserve commitment has also had a negative impact on my civilian career. I can not expend the energy to complete my job the way I, and my Soldiers, expect me too. My performance has suffered over the last two years because my heart is just not in it anymore. Right now I am just occupying space and denying a deserving Soldier who wants my job and a chance to excel. So I ask, what is the pro of staying and what is the con of going into the IRR.

If it is true that I can't go in the IRR once the process starts, then what does the Army do with me? Right now, other than assigning me a P3 profile, the MEB has not officially started. If I go in the IRR before anything has begun, would the Army still move forward with the MEB?

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X