Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement Questions

Thanks for this forum,
    I received a transfer to the "Retired Reserve" in 1997. Per a MEB I was no longer fit to hold a commission in the Infantry, and was offered the choice to go back to Enlisted. I never got a chance to decide as the Retirement letter was received in the next few days. This didn't matter to me (at the time) as I was given a 0 % from the MEB and 100% from the VA. When I went to get my dependent's ID cards (many years later) there was a lot of confusion. I was told that at 60 I was entitled to a blue ID card and a retirement. I have no way of knowing how much time I did, nor did I ever get a DD214 from my commissioned time, only one from Enlisted service. My MEB did note that I was ... let me quote this: "The soldier's retirement IS based on disability from injury or disease received in the line of duty as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurring in line of duty during a period of war as defined by law."

"The disability did result from a combat related injury as defined in 26 U.S.C. 104

Proving time is difficult, as I was Enlisted, Commissioned, USAR and NG... and time in both NAVY and ARMY.

When "tallying" up my time served, I come up with 22 years (the last 2 were points only) and 20 years of both Active and Reserve/NG time. Again, only one DD214 and nothing to prove the rest... one medal from Active Army which does show rank and days served. I did serve in Vietnam, but quite honestly knew of nothing about awards when I came home. A DD215 shows a change in my Enlisted time to reflect additional medals from Vietnam. Now, it was the Army that says my disability was from combat... 25 years prior. Am I entitled to a retirement at 60 (real close) and the Purple Heart Medal?

I hope this doesn't give anyone a headache, as it sure baffles me. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Just an OCS Grunt (03E)

Re: Retirement Questions

What state did you serve in the Guard? You should have an NGB 22 from them.

Also, you need to mail/contact the Military Personnel Records Center.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...e-records.html

Also, go to your local VA (or American Legion or VFW, if you are a member) for assistance. They can help you collect and organize your military records.

Good luck. BTW, I am active duty that came in 1983 and fortunately; everything is becoming digitiized and hosted on a portal so I ensure I keep my records there and on hard copy.

Comment

Originally posted by rrbsr View Post
      Thanks for this forum,
      I received a transfer to the "Retired Reserve" in 1997. Per a MEB I was no longer fit to hold a commission in the Infantry, and was offered the choice to go back to Enlisted. I never got a chance to decide as the Retirement letter was received in the next few days. This didn't matter to me (at the time) as I was given a 0 % from the MEB and 100% from the VA. When I went to get my dependent's ID cards (many years later) there was a lot of confusion. I was told that at 60 I was entitled to a blue ID card and a retirement. I have no way of knowing how much time I did, nor did I ever get a DD214 from my commissioned time, only one from Enlisted service. My MEB did note that I was ... let me quote this: "The soldier's retirement IS based on disability from injury or disease received in the line of duty as a direct result of armed conflict or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurring in line of duty during a period of war as defined by law."

"The disability did result from a combat related injury as defined in 26 U.S.C. 104

Proving time is difficult, as I was Enlisted, Commissioned, USAR and NG... and time in both NAVY and ARMY.

When "tallying" up my time served, I come up with 22 years (the last 2 were points only) and 20 years of both Active and Reserve/NG time. Again, only one DD214 and nothing to prove the rest... one medal from Active Army which does show rank and days served. I did serve in Vietnam, but quite honestly knew of nothing about awards when I came home. A DD215 shows a change in my Enlisted time to reflect additional medals from Vietnam. Now, it was the Army that says my disability was from combat... 25 years prior. Am I entitled to a retirement at 60 (real close) and the Purple Heart Medal?

I hope this doesn't give anyone a headache, as it sure baffles me. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Just an OCS Grunt (03E)
      I want to help but I honestly don't understand the question. What exactly are you asking, in one sentence or less?

Comment

Hey all

I have a few questions and looks like this is the place to ask. things seems to have hanged sence i retired in 1999.

1.at what age am i able to start drawing my retirement? (I retired in 1999) I`m hearing many diffrent ages 62 to 67?

2.is there a pay scale to figure how much I would draw acording to what points I have?

3. Does anybody have contact information for the Georgia Guard retirement people?

I took the 15 year retirement and had tons of extra days being i was also a instructor and did alot of 2 week schools as an instructor. and also went to many schools myself. Do all those schools count as far as points.I already have my pink ID card and wife has her dep ID card.

Thanks for any help
        Ssgt Retired
        GANG A 2/121 Inf (M)

Comment

Age 60 is the retirement age and here is the website.

http://gadod.net/

http://www.gadod.net/index.php/contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            Age 60 is the retirement age and here is the website.

http://gadod.net/

http://www.gadod.net/index.php/contacts
            Well maybe they changed the age again, all im seeing is age 60 now, but a few years ago i was told it was 62 or 65 if you retired before 2002. so its getting time to start making sure my state retirement people have all the paper work.

thanks for the reply
            Last edited by Bunker2k1; February 8th, 2013, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker2k1 View Post
              Well maybe they changed the age again, all im seeing is age 50 now, but a few years ago i was told it was 62 or 65 if you retired before 2002. so its getting time to start making sure my state retirement people have all the paper work.

thanks for the reply
              I was in the Guard from 85-87 and 98-2003 before I went on active duty again in Jan 2004. I was in the Army Reserves as well and I always knew that you were able to collect your retirement at age 60.

Legislation was passed that was not retroactive but if you were in a reserve component and combat deployed; it will reduced your retirement age and could not go lower than 50 years. So basically from (I think it was 2006 or 2008) the year I put in parenthesis, you would have had to combat deployed for a total of ten years to retire at age 50. Also, this implies, you would have not completed 20 years of active service.

Separating/Retiring from the service has become very informative and entailed in today's military. It is a shame that when you "retired" at your time; prior to becoming a grey-area retiree; you were not provided the proper info for when you were eligible to collect.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...etired-reserve <--good thread
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 7th, 2013, 09:35 PM.

Comment

the 50 was a typo i ment 60. but i found this below on the Ga guard website. notice the date.2002 you must have been on active drilling status on that date. I retired in 1999. so im back to thinking the date for people who retired before 2002 has to wait until there 62 or whatever age it is.

GEORGIA MILITARY PENSION

Retirees must submit a written application for payment of the Georgia Military Pension.

To be eligible for the Georgia Military Pension you must have been in an active drilling status on 1 July 2002 and must meet the following criteria:

• Be age 60
                • Must have fifteen (15) years of service in the Georgia National Guard
                • Must have served the last ten (10) years, before retirement, in the Georgia National Guard
                • Must receive an honorable discharge
                • You will receive $50.00 per month for 20 years’ service and $5.00 for each year over 20 to a maximum of $100.00 per month

Applications should be submitted for Air National Guard through the appropriate Wing to Headquarters Air National Guard and for Army National Guard through the CAR for certification.

Retroactive payments are not authorized.

The Georgia Military Pension Fund ARTICLE 6 SECTION 47-24-100(b) states “The effective date of retirement shall be the first day of the month in which the application is received by the board, but such effective date shall not, in any case, be earlier than the first day of the month following the month of the applicant’s discharge from the National Guard. Applications for retirement shall not be accepted more than 90 days in advance of the date of discharge.”

The pay date will begin from the date the application is received by the Employee’s Retirement System. Please ensure that all applications are processed through the appropriate channels at least 90 days prior to the retiree’s 60th birthday.

If you have any questions, please call Mrs. Altamese Finch at (404) 624-6451 or Mrs Venus Terry at 678-569-6457.

Comment

I will be sixty in less than two weeks.
                  I never imagined living this long. I haven't done anything to request retirement. I don't plan on getting my "Brown Card". I'm not going to proceedure retirement pay. I'm sure as hell not going to select the plan so that my primary dependent gets any money. She's wasted enough. Once I'm gone she's on her own. She really wants her new card. Parasitical sucubus. So. Keep the pathetic insult you call a "benefit" and let the administration give it to the illegal aliens.

Comment

Well Happy Birthday Dug and wish you many more. Also, the VA provides a pension for non-service connected veterans. You have to be at least 65.

http://benefits.va.gov/pension/
                    be:
                    • Age 65 or older with limited or no income, OR
                    • Totally and permanently disabled, OR
                    • A patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care, OR
                    • Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance, OR
                    • Receiving Supplemental Security Income
                    The Veteran must have met the service requirements above for surviving spouses and children applying for the Survivors Pension. Learn More

Comment

I hope I'm posting this question in the right forum. I tried to start a new thread but, wasn't able to. I've been in the reserves for 12 years and will ETS in a little less than 12 months. I'm trying to find out if there is a difference in retirement and if there is a chance I will lose retirement if I make the transfer. I know the reserves are federally funded and the Guard is funded by the state and I would hate to lose points at this stage in the game. Also I've been told I could lose rank as well. The retirement is my main concern though as rank can always be made back. Best Regards>

Comment

Working...
                      X