X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pension questions

I am awaiting the results of the June Army Guard JAG Board to see if I am selected. If selected I hope to put 20 years in and retire. If selected I will commission at 40. Under current regulations (assuming my body can hold up and the Army still needs me), would I be able to put 20 in and be able to retire? My second question is, would my receipt of a military pension lower my social security payments? I know there are a lot of variables to this questions (like getting in first and then serving 20 years) and negative answers to either might not affect my decision to join, but positive answers to either would help ease my wife's apprehensions. Again, thanks in advance.

Re: Pension questions

The Army/Guard will not commission you if you were not afforded to retire with twenty years of service. So yes, you will be able to retire and not even have grey-area retiree status since 60 is the age that you can start to collect. You can possibly reduce your retirement age based on the time you serve in the combat zone.

No, your SS check will not be affected by your military pension. Its based on your earnings and amount of years that you worked and at the age you start collecting. That should be fixed.
    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; April 14th, 2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

The military will indeed allow people into service who may not have the ability to earn 20 years of service, particularly in the special branches such as JAG.

The Guard will separate you from service at age 60. If you commission at age 40, you may be just short of 20 years at that point. There are regulatory provisions to extend you in service for a short amount of time in order to reach 20 years, although you yourself have stated that several variables may remove you from service before this becomes an issue. I recommend spending the next 18 years serving well, so you make a good case for yourself.

This site really isn't the best source of retirement questions, since the forum revolves around new Soldiers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
        I am awaiting the results of the June Army Guard JAG Board to see if I am selected. If selected I hope to put 20 years in and retire. If selected I will commission at 40. Under current regulations (assuming my body can hold up and the Army still needs me), would I be able to put 20 in and be able to retire? My second question is, would my receipt of a military pension lower my social security payments? I know there are a lot of variables to this questions (like getting in first and then serving 20 years) and negative answers to either might not affect my decision to join, but positive answers to either would help ease my wife's apprehensions. Again, thanks in advance.
        Why do you want Army Guard JAG?

This is the second benefits question you have asked. I am hoping you understand what you are getting into, and not trying to **** the benefits taking on a position such as one in my JAG Corps. We like attorneys who care about the mission as well.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          This site really isn't the best source of retirement questions, since the forum revolves around new Soldiers.
          A thread named RETIREMENT and a body of posters consisting of eligible retirees, near retirees and future retirees.

The way the future holds for most of us; this site probably will soon become the best source of retirement questions.

Comment

Working...
          X