Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Area Retiree to IRR

Hello,

I see some great posts on this subject; however, does not quite answer my question. I retired from the NG back in 2006 as a CPT (completed Engineer CCC; however, I was in an Ordnance unit and had completed my AOC). There were many reasons for retiring with the most important being my daughter was going into high school and I wanted to be there for her. Now that she is in college, I was contemplating going back into at least the IRR. My reasons are to be able to collect more retirement points and, who knows, I may even go back into a unit. I did start out in the Army Reserves before transferring to the National Guard. I am 44, a runner and do work out, so, I have kept myself in pretty good physical shape. Who do I contact to have the discussion and get the process started? I do realize this would subject me to call-up.

Re: Grey Area Retiree to IRR

If you want to get into the IRR, then you should speak with an active component recruiter (because they also recruit for the USAR). He will be no help whatsoever, because putting someone into the IRR doesn't affect his monthly mission. Therefore, you're largely on your own. Your relevant regulation is AR 140-1, and a place to start your self-directed treasure hunt is: https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/Reserv...ograms/irr.htm

Of course, if you want to drill in a Guard unit, I can provide more detailed guidance.

Comment

Sir, I appreciate your response. You confirmed what I suspected in that I probably do not contribute to the Recruiter's goal and would have to be very persistent in my effort. Personally, since I have been in the Reserves and the Guard, I have no preferences. There are positives and negative to both. I do work in the intelligence field as a civilian and can also cross train into MI. I certainly welcome your advice on the Guard.

Comment

Don't talk to a recruiter. Find a reserve retention NCO. There are NCO's who specialize in officer/warrant officer accessions. Your biggest hurdle is going to be MEPS and the physical.

Comment

https://www.hrc.army.mil/STAFF/Indiv...eady%20Reserve
          As an Individual Warrior, you will find numerous opportunities to continue your military career in the IRR. You can apply for professional development training, and you can be promoted.
          Can an officer be promoted in the IRR? For example, leaving the ARNG after your 6 year obligation as a 1LT and being promoted to CPT in the IRR.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            https://www.hrc.army.mil/STAFF/Indiv...eady%20Reserve

Can an officer be promoted in the IRR? For example, leaving the ARNG after your 6 year obligation as a 1LT and being promoted to CPT in the IRR.
            Yes, although you still must meet military education requirements. Your records would go before the DA promotion board. All qualified IRR officers get promoted. Getting the IRR to send you to military schooling is a bit difficult, although distance learning remains an option.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
              Yes, although you still must meet military education requirements. Your records would go before the DA promotion board. All qualified IRR officers get promoted. Getting the IRR to send you to military schooling is a bit difficult, although distance learning remains an option.
              Basically, this becomes a problem when you already are a CPT or higher in regards to PME requirements.

Comment

Working...
              X