Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Student Looking For Advice

Hello,
    I am currently a college freshman (18 years old) in my second semester at a community college in New Jersey. I am on pace to earn my 2 year associates degree one semester early, and i am looking at a December 2014 associates degree graduation. I am planning on attending Rutgers University at the beginning of my junior year. I want to use the time i saved by graduating a semester early (January to August) to complete basic training and AIT, hoping to be back in early August. Can i complete basic training and AIT from January to August? My AIT should be no longer than 16 weeks. If i do, can i use my education benefits to pay 100% tuition for Rutgers beginning my junior year at Rutgers? (late August 2015) I am also interested in the SMP program. I understand i need at least a 110 GT score on the ASVAB, what else would i need to do to successfully join the SMP program. Also, does the SMP program still allow you to get 100% tuition paid? because i see it says 4500 per academic school year under the SMP scholarship, but why would you need that if you already got full tuition assistance?

Does this seem like a realistic plan so far?

Any information and sharing of experience is greatly appreciated. Thank you
    Last edited by mikeg035; March 11th, 2014, 10:19 PM.

Seven to Eight months should be more than enough time to knock out Basic & AIT. Once you return from AIT you're eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill. I would contact a NJ Recruiter to find out what State Tuition Assistance is available, I believe they're a State offering 100% TA. The $4500 you're referring to is the Federal TA but you're not eligible to receive that until one year after completion of AIT.

SMP is a great route to take but I would recommend visiting the Rutgers ROTC program first. If you are contracted you will be able to attend school debt free and likely put some money in your pocket with the ROTC Stipend along with the Montgomery GI Bill & possibly the Kicker.

By contacting a New Jersery Recruiter there's no obligation and they can answer all your questions.

Best of luck!!

Comment

Working...
    X