X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Army National Guard Education Benefits

I am a junior in high school and i plan on joining the national guard as a 13b or 11b. I am going to go to basic training after my senior year since i will not be age eligible for split op. Can i choose to do split op for college? Would you recommend going through osut and just take my first semester off of school? Also, i plan on going to college in Arizona but i currently live in Illinois. What are the education benefits i would recieve from the Arizona National Guard for schools like Arizona State or University of Arizona?

Hey Cameron, I'm a member of the AZNG. AZ used to offer tuition assistance but last I was told that has been suspended due to funding. It may or may not come back, and I can't tell you what it will be like in a year from now as there are too many unknown factors. The education benefits you will get will be all the ones you would get through the NG like the GI Bill chapter 1607. For a breakdown of those benefits visit the VA website.

As for split OP, that just depends on what you want to do. If I recall correctly you wont be able to use the benefits until after you complete AIT. As of now we do not have any 13B positions as AZ got rid or all artillery a few years ago. There are a handful of 13F slots and plenty of 11B as we have an infantry battalion in the state. We have few other combat MOS' as well such as 12B, which is my MOS.

I am currently attending ASU full time and I am technically in my junior year at that university, even though I have enough credit hours to be in my senior year. If you have any questions shoot me a PM or leave them in here and I'll do my best to answer them.

Comment

• cameronsmart19
      cameronsmart19 commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you for your response i appreciate that answer. Being in the national guard and attending asu is it hard to juggle both/ do you feel like you have enough free time and get to enjoy the "college experience"? Also, even though the tuition assistance in Arizona is no longer do you still get decent benefits in order to help pay for school?

Have you been deployed? i understand it is a possibility which frankly i do not mind.

I have been deployed twice. I've been in for 10 years. I find attending college and fulfilling my obligation to the NG to be pretty easy. It only gets complicated if you work a lot of hours on top of going to school full time. As far as the full college experience I'm not concerned with that at all being 28 and married lol. At this point I just want to graduate with a high GPA. I have 100% post 9-11 GI Bill benefits so I have a lot of help paying for school.

Comment

• cameronsmart19
      cameronsmart19 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like you got it all figured out man haha. Thank you so much for your help with this and goodluck with Graduation. Thanks for your service.
Working...
X