X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI Bill, MHA, TA, rand ROTC

I don't really understand how the GI Bill and MHA work. The website confuses me and no one in my Unit has a lot of experience with it yet. I was wondering how they pay you and what's the average per semester (For Louisiana).

For MHA (Monthly Housing Allowance), how do you qualify for it? I live about 30 minutes away from the nearest College.

I believe you are able to use your GI Bill and State's Tuition Assistance at the same time, correct?

And I really want to do ROTC. Will I be able to combine ALL of my benefits? Or do I have to choose A or B?

Any informative replies would be greatly appreciated!

And Happy Thanksgiving!

The Montgomery GI Bill is available after completion of AIT. If you're attending school full time (12 credits) then you receive $365ish per month, tax free. You can also receive FTA at the same time which is worth $4,500 per year but I believe there are changes coming to this as of Jan 2014. You are not eligible for a MHA with the Montgomery GI Bill, only the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

If you contract ROTC while in the Guard (SMP) you can combine most of your benefits.

Keep in mind, none of these benefits come to you automatically. You'll need to submit paperwork or apply online for the TA and typically submit your DD214 after AIT to receive your NOBE and be eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill.

Your state may also offer TA or grants you will want to inquire about.

Best of luck!!

Comment

Thank you! I'm already back from training. I'm waiting a year before I apply, but I'll call the College and see what I need to do.

Comment

Working...
      X