X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLRP Question

I'm still terribly confused about the student loan repayment. I graduate in May from grad school and will enlist this January. I have about 40k of Stafford loans, so my recruiter said it is a percentage. Does this mean I still have to pay the loans myself monthly? Or does the guard make the payments for me. If they only pay a percentage a year, than what good is it if I'm still paying out of my own pocket? I'm just confused about the actual repayment and have yet to receive a clear answer.

Also, I got a 119 GT score. If I go OCS do I still get SLRP? Please note I'm not enlisting for the money, but I just want to know how it actually works.

Hi Sadds,
    It is a confusing system. The state will pay a percentage of your loans every year on your anniversary. The way they calculate it is confusing, but yes, it is a percentage. Until the first payment goes through you will have to pay out of pocket every month, once they make the first bulk payment most loan providers will consider the loan "paid in advance", so you won't have to make any more payments (unless you want to). That is how Direct Loans, Fed Loans, NelNet, etc. do it at least. I don't think the SLRP will continue if you go to OCS. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadds View Post
      I'm still terribly confused about the student loan repayment. I graduate in May from grad school and will enlist this January. I have about 40k of Stafford loans, so my recruiter said it is a percentage. Does this mean I still have to pay the loans myself monthly? Or does the guard make the payments for me. If they only pay a percentage a year, than what good is it if I'm still paying out of my own pocket? I'm just confused about the actual repayment and have yet to receive a clear answer.

Also, I got a 119 GT score. If I go OCS do I still get SLRP? Please note I'm not enlisting for the money, but I just want to know how it actually works.
      SLRP webpage link: http://www.nationalguard.com/tools/s...ayment-program

Comment

Working...
      X