Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Guard Tuition Assistance

Greetings everyone,
    I am a 21 year old female (without prior service) preparing to graduate in May of 2014, next year, and I was hoping to get an answer to some of the educational inquiries I have. I am very excited to join because I want a challenge, however I come from a non military background so please excuse me if I get something wrong. Today specifically however I have a question I have heard many possibilities to, but no 100% certain answers. So I was hoping you could help me out, as I am planning my future and informing my family around the answer that I am seeking. Here is my question:

I have always wanted to be a member of the National Guard, it has always been my dream along with the fact that no other calling would allow me to serve my nation and give back to others. I also have a strong desire to attend law school. I know I can attend law school as well as be a soldier in the National Guard Reserve, but my question is, in what ways can I apply my National Guard benefits to pay for law school, or at least most of it? I have just heard many different things concerning TA and professional degrees in the state of Texas. I have also heard of several ways in theory to do this:

1) By participating in ROTC while attending law school, to utilize the DEDNG scholarship, SMP scholarship, or the GRFD scholarship in order to cover full tuition of my law school education along with the 8 years contract to serve upon graduation. (I meet all of the scholarship requirements). This would be the ideal situation for myself.
    In this case, would I be attending BOLC or BCT in addition to traditional OCS?

2) Army Law School Funded Legal Education Program or (FLEP)- Anyone who understands the details of this program your input would be greatly appreciated.

Would either option listed above work for the situation I have described? Or are there any other ways that maybe I haven't heard of yet? I apologize for the lengthy content, I just figured it would be easier to help you for reference purposes.
    Thank you everyone for your time and consideration in advance, it is greatly appreciated.

Re: Texas Guard Tuition Assistance

Originally posted by Recruit1991 View Post
    Greetings everyone,
    I am a 21 year old female (without prior service) preparing to graduate in May of 2014, next year, and I was hoping to get an answer to some of the educational inquiries I have. I am very excited to join because I want a challenge, however I come from a non military background so please excuse me if I get something wrong. Today specifically however I have a question I have heard many possibilities to, but no 100% certain answers. So I was hoping you could help me out, as I am planning my future and informing my family around the answer that I am seeking. Here is my question:

I have always wanted to be a member of the National Guard, it has always been my dream along with the fact that no other calling would allow me to serve my nation and give back to others. I also have a strong desire to attend law school. I know I can attend law school as well as be a soldier in the National Guard Reserve, but my question is, in what ways can I apply my National Guard benefits to pay for law school, or at least most of it? I have just heard many different things concerning TA and professional degrees in the state of Texas. I have also heard of several ways in theory to do this:

1) By participating in ROTC while attending law school, to utilize the DEDNG scholarship, SMP scholarship, or the GRFD scholarship in order to cover full tuition of my law school education along with the 8 years contract to serve upon graduation. (I meet all of the scholarship requirements). This would be the ideal situation for myself.
    In this case, would I be attending BOLC or BCT in addition to traditional OCS?

2) Army Law School Funded Legal Education Program or (FLEP)- Anyone who understands the details of this program your input would be greatly appreciated.

Would either option listed above work for the situation I have described? Or are there any other ways that maybe I haven't heard of yet? I apologize for the lengthy content, I just figured it would be easier to help you for reference purposes.
    Thank you everyone for your time and consideration in advance, it is greatly appreciated.

Call the TX education office 512 782 5515 and ask your TX specific questions. As far as FLEP goes, that is a regular army program where they send soldiers who are already officers to law school. It really isn't an option in your situation, nor does any army component have anything similiar for enlisted folks.

Comment

Also, I will add that you need to do your homework on law school. It is probably the one profession where the pedigree of the school your JD comes from means almost everything. The only law school in Texas that is up there with the best is UT Austin. A really, really far distant second is U of H. Any other school in the state is a financial death sentence with the slight VERYYYY small excpetion of STCL but only if they give you money and you have ties in that area. It will only get you an average job in Houston.

Comment

In actuality OP, I would skip law school in Texas altogether. You can do what you had planned in various other states with much better programs... In addition, law school is a kick in the pants when it comes to time, requirements, etc. You might find studies do not leave much for ROTC.

If you want Uncle Sugar to pay for your law school in Texas, you may be better off enlisting in an easy MOS (like admin) or choose one that is inline with your law program (paralegal) and do the enlisted side while you are going to law school. Once you get your JD, then go before the board and go for a Direct Commission. But while enlisted, you can take advantage of the state's FTA and STA it pay for it...

Comment

Thank you very much everyone, you have been very helpful and my family and I really appreciate it. I have talked to several recruiters in my area and have unfortunately been unable to get the kind of responses I was looking for. I actually called a JAG officer in VA and he told me about the ROTC and FLEP options just not in detail, so I was curious about if that were even possible. I have 3 other siblings in college as well so whatever I can do to help ease the financial burden on my family for education will be worth it. So thank you for all of your honesty it's helping my decision immensely.

Comment

Working...
          X