Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ohio National Guard 100% tuition scholarship as easy as they make it sound?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ohio National Guard 100% tuition scholarship as easy as they make it sound?

Hello all! I have recently decided to contact a recruiter about joining the Ohio National Guard to replace the brotherhood of being a former Marine and for the benefits the recruiter was informing me of. I have been in contact with a recruiter but unfortunately know oh too well how they can "mislead" you but cannot actually lie to your face. My recruiter is saying in Ohio, the national guard will pay 100% tuition and it is super easy to get the scholarship, you just click a few things online and submit and boom your tuition is payed. Does anyone in Ohio have experience getting this scholarship and is it as easy as he is making it out to be? He also has informed me that while i get the scholarship i can still get the FTA as well as use a year of the old montomery gi bill once my post 911 runs out. Along with all of these great benefits he has informed me that since i have over 90 credit hours of college under my belt i can be "commisioned" as a O1E and go to OCS instead of my monthly drills. Again does anyone have experience in this type of thing? I obviously will not sign any contract that does not include everything in writing that was promised to me as i learned the hard way the first time i enlisted in the corps but , before wasting my recruiters time and my own "filling out this large ass packet", i want to get others experiences on the matter. I am not interested in any opinions on which branch is better or why i should do one thing or another, only what i asked! Thank you for all who will read this and especially to those who offer legitimate advice.

Thanks again.

Yut

Re: Is Ohio National Guard 100% tuition scholarship as easy as they make it sound?

STA and FTA are benefits and not in a contract. I've used both in my state no problem. 2 degrees using one with FTA and the other with STA. You incur obligations when using either, well at least in my state.

There have been times when FTA was not funded, but that was short lived, and was political theater.
    Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 15th, 2013, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Re: Is Ohio National Guard 100% tuition scholarship as easy as they make it sound?

I know they are not in a contract, the question was in OHIO is the 100% state tuition scholarship as easy to get as just applying for it online, as stated by my recruiter. The "in contract" part was being commissioned as an O1E and going to OCS instead of regular drill after i "swear in". The obligations i was informed of for getting the FTA , STA, Mongomery Gi bill extended to my 911 gi bill was to simply sign a 3 year NG contract. Which returns back to the contract. All of this sounds great, however why would i sign a contract with the national guard if none of this was true... obviously .

Comment

You are commissioned AFTER ocs.....FTA is a four year obligation after you last use it.....STA is state dependent.

Hmmmmm.....get to be an officer. Have you seen what a CPT makes for a two day drill? $375+/day ain't bad. 20 Year retirement......chance to be a part time soldier and have other interests....ah get to play with all of the Army's equipment. Be part of the team......you'd be surprised at the number of marines in the guard.
        Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 15th, 2013, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Again does anyone have an answer to the actual questions i have asked in the beginning of this thread?

Comment

I'm confused you have less than one year of college left and your concern is education benefits. And contracts, which the OCS contract does not guarantee you become an Officer.

Information on Ohio's STA

http://ongsp.org/about_ongsp.html

If Ohio STA pays 100% you would not need FTA, FTA must directly be paid to the school for Tuition. No checks in your pocket from FTA.

Your 911 GI Bill and old GI Bill are VA administered programs and have absolutely nothing to do with an 09s enlistment or the national guard.
            Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 15th, 2013, 10:23 PM.

Comment

I do not have less than one year of college left and yes my concern is education benefits since every dime that is payed to the school would then be refunded to me since i have the post 911 gi bill. The question was if ANYONE HAS HAD EXPERIENCE with ohio national guard STA. Also the question was if anyone has had experience with being sent to OCS instead of drill to be commissioned as an O1E since im prior enlisted. What I'm mainly confused about is why you continue to comment with your opinions when 1.) I dont care what they are and 2.) no relevant information to the actual questions i asked. I again dont care how the FTA and STA was in your state, what your opinion is on drill pay for captains or how many Marines are in the guard. This is not my first rodeo with recruiters and I have asked every question that i could possibly ask about the guard. The only reason i started this thread was to see if anyone has had experience getting the scholarship. A recruiter can say its super easy to get when in reality it is very rare to get, for that is not a lie just a misleading answer.

Comment

LOL good luck on your 3 year OCS contract. You've got it all figured out.

Comment

Stop replying to my thread or editing your answers, you have no idea what you are talking about anymore nor the reason why im asking my questions. I simply asked how hard it is to get the STA, not the specifics behind ohio paying 100%. I KNOW THESE THINGS. I only want to know the story behind actually getting them, not their availability. My post 911 GI BILL and my Old Montomery GI bill has a lot to do with the guard.

Comment

Devil Dog, I am a former-Marine that switched to the Guard in 98 (now I am back on active-duty with the US Army) and I received the STA benefit while in the Connecticut Army National Guard. I received my associates from NCTC and my bachelors in 2001 from UCONN. All paid for by state TA.

As long as you not flagged, you will receive the benefits. First, the school has to be a state university. Also, there is a VA rep at the school of your choice that will answer your questions. You get the form at your unit and you fill out the information. Your school registrar will confirm the payment received.

http://www.military.com/education/mo...ssistance.html

http://www.uaf.edu/veterans/links/ar..._guard_FTA.pdf

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1251622368078 <--example on-line app for Colorado National Guard

Also, there is an education officer in your state that can assist with your questions.

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...ion-Assistance <--Older thread

I was once an OCS candidate in the Guard and pursued traditional OCS. The O1E pay happens after you are commissioned and the system shows you have had 4 years of enlisted active duty.
                    Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 15th, 2013, 10:38 PM.

Comment

I appreciate your response but i honestly just want to know if anyone has gotten the STA in the Ohio national guard and to give me input on how hard it was to actually get. The recruiter says all you do is fill out an online form, tap enter and you have your tuition payed. The main thing i want to know is if it is really that easy to get before i sign my name to another contract.

Im already attending Ohio State and have a good contact with our VA rep in the school. However with my GI bill i will run out on my last two semesters of school due being behind in math to get my civil engineering degree. Again with the GI bill if they pay 100% tuition while i am still receiving GI benefits i will get the tuition they pay back as a refund. Then while joining the guard with a three year contract apparently i'll get another year of old gi bill which would kick in for my last two semesters of college after the Post 911 runs out.
                      Last edited by usmc5711; July 15th, 2013, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Have you thought of calling Ohio's ESO's office? I understand the excess funds will come to you....

Ohio National Guard Scholarship Points of Contact
                        Grants Administrator
                        Ms. Toni Davis, (614) 336-7143
                        toni.davis7@us.army.mil
                        Grants Coordinator
                        Ms. Angela Wallace
                        angela.wallace3@us.army.mil
                        Last edited by Chaplain4me; July 15th, 2013, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Also, its tuition assistance; not scholarship. This is the link for that.

http://ong.ohio.gov/information/educ...hip_index.html

+1 to Chaplain's posts. The Chaplain4me is trying to assist you with your question. You should thank him.

Comment

Chief, how would signing a NG 09S contract extend the old GI Bill? Is he talking about a Reserve GI Bill? You don't get that until you complete training.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                              Chief, how would signing a NG 09S contract extend the old GI Bill? Is he talking about a Reserve GI Bill? You don't get that until you complete training.
                              I would not know but believe it would not until you have a certain amount of years that you have to serve in your contract that qualifies.

Comment

Working...
                              X