X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about enlisting for scholarships

I'll be 17 in June and getting ready to go to college (have been moved forward a year). If i were to enlist this summer, would it be too late to receive college scholarships for this fall, or is there not a "too late" date? Thank you.

Re: Question about enlisting for scholarships

Federal Tuition assistance ended Army wide last week, so to awnser your question it is too late. Some States may offer Guardsman tuition assistance but I'm unsure how much of your tuition that may cover. The Air Force hasn't ended Tuition Assistance yet, they may or may not due to the Sequestration. You may want look into the Air Guard or AF reserve if you need help with college.

Comment

Originally posted by JDuncan View Post
      Federal Tuition assistance ended Army wide last week, so to awnser your question it is too late. Some States may offer Guardsman tuition assistance but I'm unsure how much of your tuition that may cover. The Air Force hasn't ended Tuition Assistance yet, they may or may not due to the Sequestration. You may want look into the Air Guard or AF reserve if you need help with college.
      Nevermind the Air Force either. They just suspended Tuition Assistance as well. The got sequestered.
      https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...rHAaqunXwEpcHQ

Comment

My first question to my Air Guard recruiter was 'do you offer tuition assistance?' and the answer was "no". I don't know if they did before, but they do not now. There are still GI Bills and many universities, such as mine, DO offer scholarships that the main requirement is to be active military or immediate family member of.

So I'm not sure where you are getting your information from.

Comment

The AF until today, had tuition assistance. It just got sequestered lile the rest of the military. The Navy is probably cutting it too.

Comment

The AF until today, had tuition assistance. It just got sequestered lile the rest of the military. The Navy is probably cutting it too.
            I enlisted before the sequestration.

Comment

In addition to understanding your scholarship opportunities from enlistment, make sure to read carefully through your college grant options and understand the GI Bill fully. There are a lot of available benefits for you make a solid plan. www.college-grants1.com/veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                I enlisted before the sequestration.
                So did everyone else in the military that was getting TA until the sequestration. This means Congress cut funding to the TA program completely. The only one's left with any form of TA is getting through the VA because they served in Afghanistan or Iraq and get it as part of their post 9/11 GI Bill benefit.

Comment

You are gagging me with all that spam College Grants...........shame ssssshhhhhaaaammmme. A moderator approacheth....hark yonder footsteps.

Comment

So did everyone else in the military that was getting TA until the sequestration. This means Congress cut funding to the TA program completely. The only one's left with any form of TA is getting through the VA because they served in Afghanistan or Iraq and get it as part of their post 9/11 GI Bill benefit.
                    Let me explain this another way, when I enlisted in the Air Guard before the sequestration, they weren't offering TA assistance then or nor had they been for some time, so don't tell the OP the Air Force has TA when you do not know for sure.

Comment

The only one's left with any form of TA is getting through the VA because they served in Afghanistan or Iraq and get it as part of their post 9/11 GI Bill benefit.
                      This isn't accurate. The Montgomery G.I. Bill is still there, and available to soldiers who have not deployed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
                        This isn't accurate. The Montgomery G.I. Bill is still there, and available to soldiers who have not deployed.
                        Sir the reserve select GI bill, chapter 1606 is available to all guardsman. However it doesn't offer tuition assistance. To my knowledge the only GI Bill that does offer TA is the Post 9/11 which you can only receive through federal active duty.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                          Let me explain this another way, when I enlisted in the Air Guard before the sequestration, they weren't offering TA assistance then or nor had they been for some time, so don't tell the OP the Air Force has TA when you do not know for sure.
                          Let me clarify too. I served in the Virginia Guard. They offer TA to both Army and Air Guard. I spent 13 months working in Recruiting and have knowledge of how we do things in the Virginia Guard. I don't know how your state does TA, I just know that my state does offer TA to both guard branches.

Comment

Let me clarify too. I served in the Virginia Guard. They offer TA to both Army and Air Guard. I spent 13 months working in Recruiting and have knowledge of how we do things in the Virginia Guard. I don't know how your state does TA, I just know that my state does offer TA to both guard branches.
                            I wasn't aware the OP was from Virginia, my apologies.

Comment

Sir the reserve select GI bill, chapter 1606 is available to all guardsman. However it doesn't offer tuition assistance. To my knowledge the only GI Bill that does offer TA is the Post 9/11 which you can only receive through federal active duty.
                              It doesn't cover 100% of tuition, but I would consider it falling under "any form of TA." It is a big assistance. It may not fall under "TA" because the money comes to you, rather than the school, but nobody is stopping you from putting it toward tuition. It definitely helped me out when I was in school, taking 21-24 hour semesters, and the "100% Tuition Assistance" only covered about half of my costs.

ROTC Scholarships are still out there, many schools offer their own scholarships, etc. What I'm saying is that there are still options out there, just not as many, and not as obvious.
                              Last edited by Lance13A; March 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X