X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuition Assistance Program

My daughter recently enlisted in the Illinois National Guard as a way to pay for her college education. How will the freeze on federal tuition assistance effect her? I don't want to get too excited just yet but the education incentives were the main reason she enlisted. Could someone please offer some advice?

Re: Tuition Assistance Program

The truth is, no one can tell for sure how or how bad it is going to affect soldiers in the NG. Some states rely heavily on Federal TA to fund their education programs, some states don't. This LINK addresses it a bit, but not a whole lot.

The best answer would be to seek out your state's education department and ask them what their plans are and how things are going to change, if at all. The thing to remember, and I hate saying this, is that Federal and State TA are not guaranteed under any enlistment contract. In fact, the program literature says that specifically.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
      The thing to remember, and I hate saying this, is that Federal and State TA are not guaranteed under any enlistment contract. In fact, the program literature says that specifically.
      +1 Go to http://www.armytimes.com/ and it shows it as breaking news that TA will cease at 5pm. Also, scroll down and this week's Army Times newspaper headlines shows that the Army is looking to cut another 31,000 soldiers on top of its initial numbers.

This TA suspension will help with those cuts as soldiers who are serving for this benefit; may choose to leave the service and not re-enlist because of it.

Comment

I guesss I should have encouraged my daughter to get pregnant right out of high school, then she would have been "entitled" to an education. I mistakenly told her that if you want something you have to earn it. I hope all those who are getting their educations paid for because they were irresponsible and had a baby they couldn't afford to take care of appreciate what those servicemen/women are giving up so they can "get theirs"!!

Comment

Originally posted by ambrosegrlz View Post
          I guess I should have encouraged my daughter to get pregnant right out of high school, then she would have been "entitled" to an education. I mistakenly told her that if you want something you have to earn it. I hope all those who are getting their educations paid for because they were irresponsible and had a baby they couldn't afford to take care of appreciate what those servicemen/women are giving up so they can "get theirs"!!
          I understand you are upset and I have to disagree about the bolded. I will never encourage my daughter to get pregnant for any reason. That should only happen, if she is in a loving marriage and then if a child is wanted between her and her husband. And hopefully that comes many years later after she has finished her education and has a stable job and career.

Remember that Post 9/11 GI Bill is still available. A person can still serve their country for at least three years on active duty or title 10 while on a deployment in the NG and Reserves and receive the amount appropriate of benefit based on that active service. Also, based on her grades, she can be eligible for numerous scholarships. And for soldiers in the Guard, many state schools waive tuition. They just have to pay the registration and book fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe
            I understand you are upset and I have to disagree about the bolded. I will never encourage my daughter to get pregnant for any reason. That should only happen, if she is in a loving marriage and then if a child is wanted between her and her husband. And hopefully that comes many years later after she has finished her education and has a stable job and career.

Remember that Post 9/11 GI Bill is still available. A person can still serve their country for at least three years on active duty or title 10 while on a deployment in the NG and Reserves and receive the amount appropriate of benefit based on years and months on active service. Also, based on her HS grades and/or present income, she can be eligible for numerous scholarships. And for soldiers in the Guard, many state schools waive tuition. They just have to pay the registration and book fees. Your daughter should be able to engage her Guard's education representative for further details.
            In addition, a lot of states have State Tuition Assistance as well. Federal TA is only one way to attack the problem at hand. Have her call the State Ed office and they can direct her to other programs and sources.

Comment

I was just frustrated and being sarcastic with the getting pregnant comment. I would never promote that as a way to get ahead. How is it that responsible people who try to do the right thing always get the shaft for those looking for an easy way? I am very proud of my daughter for choosing to serve, whether her tuition is paid for or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ambrosegrlz View Post
                I was just frustrated and being sarcastic with the getting pregnant comment. I would never promote that as a way to get ahead. How is it that responsible people who try to do the right thing always get the shaft for those looking for an easy way? I am very proud of my daughter for choosing to serve, whether her tuition is paid for or not.
                Voting public..

Have you daughter contact the State's Ed department. There are usually state level benefits that can help out with tuition. For example, in Texas, State TA is usually enough to cover the costs of school by itself.

Comment

Some states waive tuition all together....such as the MIGHTY state of OKLAHOMA!

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
                    Some states waive tuition all together....such as the MIGHTY state of OKLAHOMA!
                    I was going to post a couple of really good one-liners about Oklahoma, but then I considered who your BOSS is and decided against it.

Comment

Texans can't stand the fact that we called out the National Guard to protect our state's border from the ravenous hoards of encroaching longhorns.

hahaha I hear you brother. Took me a second to get it, I thought you were talking about the Governor.

Comment

I'll tell you a secret.... Longhorns are about the stupidest cows out there and they taste terrible.

Comment

Boomer-------

Comment

I enlisted for the SLRP/CLRP, any one have some insight as to how that program could be affected? I haven't left for BCT/AIT yet, but I'm going to head down to my RSP/ARNG HQ and talk with the education and benefit liaisons to figure things out.

Comment

Originally posted by CallSign View Post
                              I enlisted for the SLRP/CLRP, any one have some insight as to how that program could be affected? I haven't left for BCT/AIT yet, but I'm going to head down to my RSP/ARNG HQ and talk with the education and benefit liaisons to figure things out.
                              If it is in your contract you will be fine. Tuition assistance was never and will never be a guarentee. It has always been by availability of funds. Contracted incentives like the SLRP are guarenteed.

Comment

Working...
                              X