Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Federal Tuition Assistance (TA) suspended

Originally posted by Jackal View Post
    Be very careful with Sallie Mae. They are infamous for their bully tactics and lies. My family is considering legal action against them. My family finally paid off my brothers college five-digit loans from them last year...a few months later they called us and announced they reported my parents and brother to a collections agency. They even went so far as to harass our out of state relatives, all because they couldn't keep track of their own finances.

Sorry to hear about your experience but my Sallie Mae experience has been positive. A small fee, no interest loan worked out fine for me. My repayments were auto-draft and never had issues.

Comment

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...2887570&rank=1

The House has now approved restoring TA. Not onto POTUS for signature. Awaiting his return from Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
        http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...2887570&rank=1

The House has now approved restoring TA. Not onto POTUS for signature. Awaiting his return from Israel.
        Not to make this thread about me in any way, but for those of us joining here in the next week or 2 (such as myself) how will this impact us if it is not restored upon contract signing, but does get restored afterwards. Is it simply a benefit afforded-and swear in date is irrelevant?

*EDIT* Nevermind, I found the answer. It would return as a beneift once restored.
        Last edited by Hawks; March 23rd, 2013, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks View Post
          Not to make this thread about me in any way, but for those of us joining here in the next week or 2 (such as myself) how will this impact us if it is not restored upon contract signing, but does get restored afterwards. Is it simply a benefit afforded-and swear in date is irrelevant?

*EDIT* Nevermind, I found the answer. It would return as a beneift once restored.
          Some states waive their tuition totally, and sometimes you become an instate resident as soon as you IST....think about it...something to look into.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks View Post

Exactly. Just like getting a discount when you show you ID at the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
              Exactly. Just like getting a discount when you show you ID at the movies.
              I hear The Croods is pretty good

Comment

I hadnt heard it was reinstated until I just read up above. But we had a G1 conference I had to attend two weeks ago and our Education Officer expected the suspension to end before start of next fall and put it out to a large room of people with confidence.

Comment

Update on FTA

http://www.armytimes.com/article/201...ion-Assistance <----click me

Soldiers should expect changes to the Army’s Tuition Assistance program eligibility rules during the fiscal year that begins Oct. 1.“I think we are going to have changes in tuition assistance,” said Sgt. Major of the Army Raymond Chandler during an Aug. 7 interview at the Pentagon.
                  While it’s unlikely that the popular tuition assistance program will be abruptly shutdown as it was in March,Chandler noted that the Army has the broadest tuition assistance program of any of the services right now, and “it’s expensive, and I believe there are some refinements we can make within that program.”

Comment

Chaplain, I do but you deleted your offer lol

Comment

Tonto..."spot on" post in army times!

Comment

Working...
                      X