X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BAH

I just have a quick question to ask regarding BAH if that is alright. I am moving from my grandparents home to a Washington state to start my Guard career, i have an apartment picked out, however i am hesitant as i am going in as an E-2, will I qualify for any BAH to help me cover the costs of monthly rent?

Re: Request for Advice Regarding BAH

Originally posted by brobinson_26 View Post
    I just have a quick question to ask regarding BAH if that is alright. I am moving from my grandparents home to a Washington state to start my Guard career, i have an apartment picked out, however i am hesitant as i am going in as an E-2, will I qualify for any BAH to help me cover the costs of monthly rent?
    To clarify, you will be "starting" your Guard career as a Traditional Soldier, correct? More specifically, you will be drilling one weekend a month, two weeks AT, right?

If so, the answer is, no. Unfortunately, you have to be on specific orders (i.e. in Active status) to receive allowance for housing. Traditional Guard Soldiers won't get this benefit unless they are at training (such as Basic Combat Training or Advanced Individual Training), have an AGR job (that is, they work their MOS as a full time job), or as stated above, been placed on Active Duty orders such as for deployments or short-term missions.

Again, I want to point out what I said above, since you are worried about making your rent. You WILL receive this benefit once you start your initial training. So, you can rest assured that while you are away from your civilian job, you should make plenty as an E2 to cover your basic living expenses left at home.

Hope this helps! Do you have a recruiter you can work with? They can help you determine how much BAH you will receive when you qualify for it.

Comment

Many young people think the Guard pays their rent during their service. Quick answer is no. Your civilian job is the one to cover your expenses and when you leave on active duty training, then you receive BAH to cover those expenses. The only Soldiers that get full BAH serve on full-time (active, AGR) duty everyday of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by brobinson_26 View Post
        Please do NOT resurrect two year old threads. If you have a current BAH question, please start you own thread.

Comment

Let's move it, then.

Comment

Working...
          X