Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance with SLRP

Good afternoon, All.

I've been trying to hold my state to their extension incentives for nearly 4 years, but am having no luck. In 2008 I extended my enlistment as a 35PL20 for 3 years with the incentive of SLRP. The incentive is annotated not only on my final DD214 but on my extention contract as well. After multiple attempts, to include contacting the National Guard Bureau, Louisiana state IG, and Army IG while in Iraq, I still have yet to receive any benefit/payments applied to my outstanding student loan balance. Rather, I am being told that there was no such incentive at that time. According to the retention NCO that drew up my extension contract, because of the critical nature of my MOS, there was the option of SLRP. I've honored my obligations; serving the entirety of all of my enlistment contracts and have been honorably discharged. Who may I contact (that I have not already) that will actually enforce the terms of my reenlistment and have Louisiana National Guard repay their portion of my student loans before raising it to my congressional representative? Thank you in advance.

Re: Assistance with SLRP

I should clarify that I served for 9 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SSG Quebedeaux View Post
      Good afternoon, All.

I've been trying to hold my state to their extension incentives for nearly 4 years, but am having no luck. In 2008 I extended my enlistment as a 35PL20 for 3 years with the incentive of SLRP. The incentive is annotated not only on my final DD214 but on my extention contract as well. After multiple attempts, to include contacting the National Guard Bureau, Louisiana state IG, and Army IG while in Iraq, I still have yet to receive any benefit/payments applied to my outstanding student loan balance. Rather, I am being told that there was no such incentive at that time. According to the retention NCO that drew up my extension contract, because of the critical nature of my MOS, there was the option of SLRP. I've honored my obligations; serving the entirety of all of my enlistment contracts and have been honorably discharged. Who may I contact (that I have not already) that will actually enforce the terms of my reenlistment and have Louisiana National Guard repay their portion of my student loans before raising it to my congressional representative? Thank you in advance.
      Can you get a recruiter or someone outside of your unit to verify that the SLRP was available during that time?

Comment

You contacted three IGs, what did they have to say?

Comment

I am no longer in, but I found several memos citing the incentive.

Comment

No sir. I contacted the education benefits department of the National Guard Bureau and two IGs; I apologize for not clarifying. The two IG offices informed me that while I may have actively pursued resolution, the time frame between the incident and complaint exceeds that of what they would consider investigating.

Comment

Just one ESO's opinion:
              Your DA Form 4856, DD Form 4, and NGB Form 600-7-5-R-E should be in your iPERMS. (You should have kept a copy of these anyway...)

If you have these documents in-hand, you have a solid course of action in front of you. If they are not in iPERMS or in your files, you have virtually no hope.

Your state's ESO can give you a copy of the SRIP policy that was in place at the time of your extension.

The ESO and/or SLRP manager can guide you from there. You can find POC information for LA here: http://geauxguard.com/resources/education/

If all else fails, your last ditch effort would have to be ABCMR, but that won't take you very far without substantiating documents.

Good luck.

Comment

I have an outstanding Soldier in my platoon that enlisted with the SLRP incentive. He passed 4 years TIS in April and the Guard has yet to make a single SLRP payment. His recruiter forgot to write in the date that he witnessed the enlistee's signature so we went through the ETP process and thought everything was resolved - that was almost 2 years ago. The Soldier has had to pay close to $10,000 out of pocket due to the Guard not upholding their end of the contract and continues to pay every month. We have submitted all the required documents time and time again...and there is never any movement. I am an NCO with 20 years in so I know how things are supposed to work. I have contacted everyone from the company level up to the Assistant G1 that is charged with overseeing our Education Office. There is never any movement on the issue and an Education Office representative told our Battalion Retention NCO that the system is showing that there is an error with this Soldier's SLRP, but that they can't do anything about it at their level. The Soldier has never been kept in the loop about the status or the issues relating to the non-payment other than being told he was responsible for initiating the ETP for the recruiter's error. Our state IG came was Title 10 until this assignment and openly admits that he doesn't understand the National Guard. I am disgusted about not being able to get this issue resolved and the potential of losing an excellent Soldier in 21 months because the National Guard did not make good on the initial contract.

I would be open to any advice that doesn't involve our state's Education Office - that route has proved itself pointless. I'd still like to turn this situation around...if possible.

Comment

• tt1153
                  tt1153 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi 1brownchica,
                  Nice to see an NCO trying to keep a good soldier around. Without patting my own back, I am in a similar (yet opposite) situation. I have done everything asked of me the last 6 years, to include deployments, and am also getting a cold shoulder regarding SLRP. My readiness NCO is in my corner, but there is only so much he can do. I have declined to re-enlist because of the issue, as I am absolutely sickened over it. I am amazed that the government can make promises (i.e. SLRP in contract) and not fulfill the obligations, where if I am an hour late to drill they'll slap me so quickly with an "unsat" that it would make my head spin. And then they will demonize me if I stand up for the principle of the situation and demand my benefits...I have not gotten any resolution to the issue yet (has been 5 years), but I remain hopeful. Sorry that doesn't help, but you aren't alone. If I ever get any movement on my loans I'll let you know what we did to make that happen?

I'd like to help you out but without the SMs name and the State, there isn't much I can do. Unfortunately, I did not opt for email at sign-up.

Comment

Working...
                X