Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

Will National Guard help me pay for College and how far will they help?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Will National Guard help me pay for College and how far will they help?

    I'm in JROTC and I'm just about to turn 16 and have already decided that I want to join National Guard when I turn 17 but I also want to go to College. How exactly does that work with the National Guard and will they help pay for it?
    Last edited by Nautia Mudd; February 10th, 2014, 11:33 AM.

  • #2


    • #3
      • Montgomery GI Bill provides a monthly allowance of up to $356 for books and supplies.
      • Federal Tuition Assistance can cover up to 100 percent of your college tuition and general fees, up to $4,500 per year, or $18,000 over four years.
      • Post-9/11 GI Bill can cover up to 100 percent of your tuition, depending on how long you serve. You can actually pass this benefit on to your children if youíve already been through school, or if you donít intend to use it for yourself. You must be a Soldier who has served at least 90 days of Active Duty service on or after Sept. 11, 2001.
      • Army National Guard Kicker provides up to $350 per month in living expenses.
      • State Education Programs provide additional benefits on top of federal and GI Bill benefits. These vary by state.
      • Specialized Training Assistance Program provides a monthly stipend of $2,122 if you are in medical training for one of the specialties most needed by the Guard.


      • #4
        • GRFD and DEDNG scholarships are for full-time students. These scholarships pay full tuition and mandatory fees, or can pay room and board up to $10,000 per year. Cadets also earn a monthly stipend. Following graduation, cadets begin a new Military Service Obligation (MSO) contract and serve eight years in the Guard, including training.

        • DEDNG scholarships cover full tuition. Youíll also receive up to $1,200 for books, along with a monthly allowance of $350 during sophomore year, $450 during junior year and $500 during senior year. You can apply as a grad student if you have only two years remaining until graduation. Beyond your monthly allowance, you will also receive the drill pay of a sergeant, approximately $225 per month, when you participate in the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP). 

        • The GRFD scholarship is similar to the DEDNG scholarship, but is mainly for students entering their junior year of college with a GPA of 2.5 or higher. You must also join the SMP of a Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) unit on your campus. GRFD recipients receive full tuition plus $1,200 each year for books. You earn an ROTC allowance for 10 months of the year: $450 per month during your junior year and $500 per month during your senior year. As a member of the Guard, you also receive drill pay. To receive one of these scholarships, you must be involved in the SMP with a National Guard unit while in school, and have a letter of acceptance from a local Guard unit stating that they will accept you in an SMP status. You must be a current cadet to apply. Contact your ROTC Department Cadre for details.


        • #5
          Thanks I didn't see that.