X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLRP Question

I joined the National Guard in 2010. My contract I signed stated I would receive the SLRP and the payments would start a year after my enlistment. Well it is 2013 and now I was medically discharged from the National Guard. My student loans have never been paid by the National Guard and I have turned in all the required paperwork and verification in when I was enlisted & verifications for each year, still my issue has not been resolved. I have been getting the run around for 2 years, I contact the Education department every 6 months and they keep saying its on hold. I think they are lying and dont want to give me what I am owed for the past 2 years (still no payments). Has anyone else experienced not getting their student loans paid?! I NEED HELP!

Re: SLRP Question

You need to contact your State. Keep records of your attempts to resolve the issue. Do your research.
    Do you have a copy of your SLRP contract? Have you read it? Look over the termination rules. How long did you serve before you were medically discharged? What does the applicable ARNG policy say for the year you signed your SLRP contract? Were there deficiencies with your SLRP contract that were never resolved? Did you have eligible loans? Do you know what makes a loan eligible and ineligible? Get your ducks in a row, write down your questions and call your State. Write down who you talk to, when and what they told you to do. The squeaky wheel gets the grease--keep calling them until you get the answers you need. Every six months is giving them too much time to forget about you.

Comment

Originally posted by nmclaurine View Post
      I joined the National Guard in 2010. My contract I signed stated I would receive the SLRP and the payments would start a year after my enlistment. Well it is 2013 and now I was medically discharged from the National Guard. My student loans have never been paid by the National Guard and I have turned in all the required paperwork and verification in when I was enlisted & verifications for each year, still my issue has not been resolved. I have been getting the run around for 2 years, I contact the Education department every 6 months and they keep saying its on hold. I think they are lying and dont want to give me what I am owed for the past 2 years (still no payments). Has anyone else experienced not getting their student loans paid?! I NEED HELP!
      Couple of things here that you didn't mention and will need to be clarified. A) When did you enlist in 2010? B) When did you get discharged? C) Did you attend BCT and AIT? All of these will affect payback.

Now, you do realize that the NG only pay a certain percent, each year, based on the length of your contract... up to 60K (or so). So, let's say you enlisted in a 6x2 and you owe 60K in loans. They'll pay 10K after each year of service on the anniversary date. If you were in for less than a year, no payment due. If you were not MOSQ'd, no payment due. If you were MOSQ'd and had at least 1 year in, you'd be due 10k on your anniversary date...

Comment

The real answer is--your payment amount will be calculated by computing 15% of the qualified, eligible disbursed loans--or $500, whichever is more---with a maximum yearly cap of $7500. From 01 MAR 2009 to present, the maximum contract amount is 50K. All of this information can be found in the current year ARNG policy. As previously mentioned, in the first reply, do your research, read your contract and the applicable FY policy so you can ask informed questions. And, Mr. Moderator, it certainly wouldn't hurt for you to make sure you have the correct information before you post it.

Comment

Originally posted by byafg View Post
          The real answer is--your payment amount will be calculated by computing 15% of the qualified, eligible disbursed loans--or $500, whichever is more---with a maximum yearly cap of $7500. From 01 MAR 2009 to present, the maximum contract amount is 50K. All of this information can be found in the current year ARNG policy. As previously mentioned, in the first reply, do your research, read your contract and the applicable FY policy so you can ask informed questions. And, Mr. Moderator, it certainly wouldn't hurt for you to make sure you have the correct information before you post it.
          Mr. Red Phase, I was using a very vague numbers just to prove a point. The OP needs to have yearly time service and the NG would pay a portion of it on his anniversary date. If the OP enlisted for 9 months and got out, he won't be getting anything. If the OP never made it to IADT, he won't be getting anything either.... which is what I and several others are probably thinking.

Comment

already was mentioned in first reply

Comment

Details are extremely important especially in a forum such as this. We want to make sure accurate information is being disseminated across the board here. SMs need to educate themselves and they need to truly understand the legal documents they are signing--or they shouldn't be signing them. Exceptions to Policy are filed every day because somebody along the way did not pay attention to the details--the Soldier, the Recruiter, The Witnessing Officer, the State Representative, MEPS, the Unit...and when you throw out numbers like that without a disclaimer, people take that as fact. There are many, many factors that determine initial and continued eligibility for SLRP. Hence, the reason I referred the individual to get smart on the applicable policy and their own paperwork before they call their State. Everyone's time is important.

Comment

I have the same problem. I turned in all of my paperwork last March. Payment was supposed to go through on my anniversary date in June. Every time I call, the education department tells me everything looks good and that I am in the queue and the payment will go through any day. I am almost in March of the following year from when i submitted my paperwork and i am still waiting for payment to go through. Like watching the grass grow. You would not believe the amount of interest that has added on to my original loan amount. This whole student loan repayment sounded too good to be true when I signed up. Now, I realize that SLRP really was too good to be true.

Comment

Working...
                X