Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I do if I want to attend law school?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do if I want to attend law school?

Hello everyone! I am a 22 year old student at Florida International University. I had to re-enroll because I had stopped going to school 2 years ago to pursue some business opportunities but now I want to return. When I stopped school, I finished with the equivalent of an AA, or basically my first two years completed. However, I lost my scholarships and now have no way to pay for school so I have been looking into the National Guard and ROTC, specifically the SMP program. Basically, what I would like to do is participate in said program so that my tuition can be fully covered, but I also want to attend law school after I get my bachelors, but I understand that the SMP would only aid me in these last two years and that I'd be on my own for grad school/law school. So what can I do exactly to help me receive more benefits to help afford law school when the time comes? I also want to mention that I want to try and finish school as fast as possible, but suggestions and ideas like going to Basic and AIT or anything where I'd have to go away for months is necessary for the things I am asking for. Another question I have is, I want to do SMP, but am I supposed to contract with the National Guard first and then ROTC to receive benefits from the NG along with ROTC? If I contract with ROTC and then do the Guard, would I receive aid only from ROTC? What about GRFD? I must mention that what I want to do with my life is pretty much become a lawyer or have a civilian profession, so I am really interested in the National Guard and possibly the Army Reserves.

Re: What should I do if I want to attend law school?

I don't know about the guard, but I commissioned with a guy that did an Educational Delay to attend law school, with the intent to branch JAG upon passing the Bar Exam. He was Active Duty, though, but it may be something worth looking into. I am 99% that he is getting full-time O-1 pay while in law school right now.

Comment

Couple of ways to work this problem.

If you want to use SMP, you are going to have to contract with the ROTC, which binds you to service after you commission. You can accept either the DedARNG or GRFD if you want to secure a guaranteed slot in the NG. If not, then you are up on the OML with everyone else in terms of branching and A/D. SMP will only cover your MSIII and MSIV year (in your case). After you commission and *if* you get an ed-delay, you can utilize Federal and State TA to help with grad school.

If you have a DedARNG or GRFD, you are in a better position to determine what you branch as it is up to you (*in most states, there are some exceptions) to find your own slot/branch.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
        Couple of ways to work this problem.

If you want to use SMP, you are going to have to contract with the ROTC, which binds you to service after you commission. You can accept either the DedARNG or GRFD if you want to secure a guaranteed slot in the NG. If not, then you are up on the OML with everyone else in terms of branching and A/D. SMP will only cover your MSIII and MSIV year (in your case). After you commission and *if* you get an ed-delay, you can utilize Federal and State TA to help with grad school.

If you have a DedARNG or GRFD, you are in a better position to determine what you branch as it is up to you (*in most states, there are some exceptions) to find your own slot/branch.
        Thank you both very much for your insight. I was also told that with a DedARNG or GRFD there is a possibility of getting a 3 year scholarship, so I figure this itself would allow me to try and and finish my first year of lawschool or first year of grad school? And I think I am pretty set on branching into the National Guard because it would allow me the opportunity to maintain a civilian job, and a lawyer is what I am aiming for. I understand that I can also ask for an educational delay, but can I ask for that say if I get the 3 year scholarship I just mentioned? Basically what I want to know is if I'd be able to do 3 years of school under the scholarship and then request the delay, to get a total of 4 years of school done?

Comment

The 3 year scholarship doesn't work the way you think it does... sorry OP. It is meant to cover one degree career only (MSII/MSIV or MSIII/MSIV). Now you can be either an undergrad or graduate student, but not both...

For example, I came into the ROTC program as a MSIII but I was a graduate student. So, the 2 year would have covered my program if I chose to use it.

In your case, I would look at getting a 2/3 yr scholarship, knock out your undegrad, apply for an Ed Delay (cross your fingers) and then use Fed/State TA to cover grad school.

Comment

The 3 year scholarship doesn't work the way you think it does... sorry OP. It is meant to cover one degree career only (MSII/MSIV or MSIII/MSIV). Now you can be either an undergrad or graduate student, but not both...

For example, I came into the ROTC program as a MSIII but I was a graduate student. So, the 2 year would have covered my program if I chose to use it.

In your case, I would look at getting a 2/3 yr scholarship, knock out your undegrad, apply for an Ed Delay (cross your fingers) and then use Fed/State TA to cover grad school.
            Hmmm, I see. Thank you very much for clarifying this for me. Ok what about if I take that 3 year scholarship, and double major in something?I am currently majoring in Political Science, but the International Relations major is not much different in the courses I have to take. I dont see why I wouldnt be able to do this, since its all undergrad? I am now thinking about maybe doing the SMP/GRFD after I get my bachelors. Because from my understanding I'd be able to go to law school and have it covered?

Comment

You *can* double major, but I warn you: ROTC is a time vacuum and they will suck up far more time than the 6 credit hours suggest. You have to account for daily PT, Labs, Class, FTXs and a host of other crap they want you to do. It is not a stretch to say that ROTC will take up 15-20 hours of your time a week.

I warn prospects to not let their grades suffer due to ROTC events, especially when it affects your career (ie - Medical, Lawyers, ENG). You can enlist in the guard and go to undergrad on the Federal/State TA as an E-2 or whatever. Then scholarship for your graduate degree and do ROTC as a grad student.

Something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmare9590 View Post
                Hmmm, I see. Thank you very much for clarifying this for me. Ok what about if I take that 3 year scholarship, and double major in something?I am currently majoring in Political Science, but the International Relations major is not much different in the courses I have to take. I dont see why I wouldnt be able to do this, since its all undergrad? I am now thinking about maybe doing the SMP/GRFD after I get my bachelors. Because from my understanding I'd be able to go to law school and have it covered?
                From my understanding you are most concerned with having your tuition paid for. If you join the florida national guard as a SMP/09R you will be eligible to receive Florida's EDD, which will pay for your entire tuition as long as you are attending a state university. Therefore, you would not need to even obtain a scholarship necessarily to pay for your undergrad degree. Also, EDD money can be used to pay for graduate classes and law classes at a state university. Cadets who get scholarships for tuition typically do so because they are attending a private university.

Comment

You *can* double major, but I warn you: ROTC is a time vacuum and they will suck up far more time than the 6 credit hours suggest. You have to account for daily PT, Labs, Class, FTXs and a host of other crap they want you to do. It is not a stretch to say that ROTC will take up 15-20 hours of your time a week.

I warn prospects to not let their grades suffer due to ROTC events, especially when it affects your career (ie - Medical, Lawyers, ENG). You can enlist in the guard and go to undergrad on the Federal/State TA as an E-2 or whatever. Then scholarship for your graduate degree and do ROTC as a grad student.

Something to think about.
                  Yes, Ive heard that it will end up taking a lot of time, but Ive never been one to let my grades become affected in such a manner. Also, your suggestion about joining the Guard first and then doing ROTC/SMP for grad/law school sounds perfect, but would I not have to attend BCT and AIT? I don't have a problem nor am I avoiding wanting to go, but if I went to these I'd fall behind in wanting to finish undergrad due to the months I'd have to go away for.

Originally posted by Writ42 View Post
                  From my understanding you are most concerned with having your tuition paid for. If you join the florida national guard as a SMP/09R you will be eligible to receive Florida's EDD, which will pay for your entire tuition as long as you are attending a state university. Therefore, you would not need to even obtain a scholarship necessarily to pay for your undergrad degree. Also, EDD money can be used to pay for graduate classes and law classes at a state university. Cadets who get scholarships for tuition typically do so because they are attending a private university.
                  I looked up the EDD program for Florida, but it says it can only be used for undergrad? Am I missing something?

What about some of the stuff mentioned on these post in the below forums? I am now thinking of about trying to finish school on my own, possibly getting a part time job etc,or maybe even taking out a small loan. What about the SLRP program mentioned if I take a small loan to help me with undergrad? More than anything, I would really like my law school (or gradschool if law doesnt work out for me) paid for as much as possible. Would putting off the SMP until I finish my undergrad be a better choice? Doing SMP for law/gradschool and taking the DedARNG so that my in-state law school tuition would be covered 100%?

http://forums.military.com/eve/forum.../7230003742001
                  http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8071444AANtBWv
                  http://www.top-law-schools.com/forum...11722&start=25

Also, I want to thank everyone who has responded so far. You have been all a very very great help. Thank you once again.

Comment

I had written up a really long post, but I guess it's still waiting to be OK'd by a mod.

Comment

Look at my signature link for some background.

I recommend enlisting now, using state and federal tuition assistance to complete your bachelor's degree. Then apply for an ROTC scholarship for law school. That will only pay the last two years, so that first year may be difficult, but TA will still apply.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmare9590 View Post
                        Yes, Ive heard that it will end up taking a lot of time, but Ive never been one to let my grades become affected in such a manner. Also, your suggestion about joining the Guard first and then doing ROTC/SMP for grad/law school sounds perfect, but would I not have to attend BCT and AIT? I don't have a problem nor am I avoiding wanting to go, but if I went to these I'd fall behind in wanting to finish undergrad due to the months I'd have to go away for.
                        I admire your tenacity and wanting to keep yourself on target with your plan, but I think you are being too inflexible. The best way to get out of this, money-wise, is to use your State TA (since it can't be used for grad school) as an enlisted soldier attending college and then contracting as a cadet in grad school, as both the LTC and I suggested.

If you miss a few months or a semester of school due to training, it's a heck of a lot better than accruing school debt.

Comment

I admire your tenacity and wanting to keep yourself on target with your plan, but I think you are being too inflexible. The best way to get out of this, money-wise, is to use your State TA (since it can't be used for grad school) as an enlisted soldier attending college and then contracting as a cadet in grad school, as both the LTC and I suggested.

If you miss a few months or a semester of school due to training, it's a heck of a lot better than accruing school debt.
                          Thank you and I completely understand that I may have been too inflexible, its mostly because since I stopped going to school for two years to pursue other goals, I feel rushed. But I thank you and the LTC both for your recommendation. I am now considering enlisting in the national guard so that I may used my states TA to cover my undergrad degree and then join ROTC once I get into law school or if I pursue a masters program instead. If I do this , I figure I would be good correct and would only have to pay for my first year of law school? Another question I have though, what if I enlist and take a signing bonus? Can I take a signing bonus, still receive TA and then be able to go ROTC to help out with law school? I see that signing bonus helping me out with that first year of law school...

Comment

Working...
                          X