X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Point vs. ROTC

I am trying to make a decision between attempting to get into West Point, and taking ROTC at a public college such as Ohio State. I have a chance of playing football for Army, which would help me to get in. However, being 10 hours away worries me a bit. I love OSU, and the ROTC program (going the SMP route with the National Guard) sounded great to me. I am leaning towards the Ohio State and ROTC route, but I am scared that I would be turning around a great opportunity at West Point if I would be able to get in.

I am just looking for anyone that has information on the two, and can give me benefits/downfalls of either in helping me in my decision. I realize this is my decision, and I will make it, I am just looking for a little advice. Thank you.

Re: West Point vs. ROTC

West Point has a tradition of creating solid military leaders and the experience is unparalleled. I will go for West Point if given a chance.

Comment

I wrote in my other posts that West Point has a tradition of producing outstanding Army leaders; plus graduating from there brings prestige. If I had the opportunity between West Point and ROTC; I will choose West Point.

Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM.

Comment

If you're leery of going to college 10 hours away, how will you handle life on active duty? They could send you to Korea. If distance is an issue, then perhaps you should stick with the National Guard path.

Comment

Being in ROTC right now, I wouldn't change my decision. I think, honestly, if I went to West Point (and got in) I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. From the limited exposure I had to West Point Cadets while I was at BCT, I can say that they all seemed cocky, arrogant and about as qualified as any other ROTC Cadet (just with a lot more money spent on their training). This is, of course, my opinion and I would definitely add the caveat that there are certainly a fair number of West Point Cadets and graduates that are not in the category I just mentioned. If you go to West Point, know this:

West Point will be very challlenging; physically, emotionally and especially mentally with a brutal course load. However, you will have the opportunity for training like Airborne, Air Assault, Ranger School, etc. that a lot of other ROTC Cadets like me have to compete for (not sure how competitive it is for West Point but I do know they have their own Air Assault course, which would naturally open up more slots). Some very high-speed Generals and other Officers are products of West Point, but then again a lot are products from ROTC as well.

Bottom line: West Point is a great decision and a great place to go. There's a lot of prestige and definitely a lot of networking and other opportunites you wouldn't have otherwise. But, ROTC is also a good choice. You'll be able to enjoy your college experience (unless wearing a uniform all week, waking up at the crack of dawn everyday, and getting treated lower than dirt your first year is your thing). I would say the best career move is West Point, especially if you want to make the Army a career, otherwise just stick with ROTC.

Comment

WP Pros - Free college, serious prestige, unparalleled "old boys" network, guaranteed Active Duty, insane amount of opportunities for AB, AAS, etc, etc

WP Cons - Do not have the "college experience", required Active Duty, super high expectations and you'll get looked at like a POS from OCS/ROTC guys until you prove you are not one of those stuck-up "Westies"

Comment

Working...
            X