X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuition and the Sequester

Hi all. So my boyfriend joined the Guard last November. However, he hasn't gone to Basic yet, and the Guard isn't paying his tuition yet. And now with the sequester - is he not going to get college money anymore? I read here: http://www.stripes.com/news/army-sus...roops-1.210999 that if you're currently enrolled in an approved TA program, then it won't effect you. But technically he isn't. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Thanks!

Re: Tuition and the Sequester

Originally posted by Shanti View Post
    Hi all. So my boyfriend joined the Guard last November. However, he hasn't gone to Basic yet, and the Guard isn't paying his tuition yet. And now with the sequester - is he not going to get college money anymore? I read here: http://www.stripes.com/news/army-sus...roops-1.210999 that if you're currently enrolled in an approved TA program, then it won't effect you. But technically he isn't. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Thanks!

Yeah--the suspension is over. Nevertheless, he's not going to get one red cent for anything until he's MOS qualified, which means he's graduated Basic Combat Training (BCT) and Advanced Individual Training (AIT). So far he's only been getting paid to go to RSP drills.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
      Yeah--the suspension is over. Nevertheless, he's not going to get one red cent for anything until he's MOS qualified, which means he's graduated Basic Combat Training (BCT) and Advanced Individual Training (AIT). So far he's only been getting paid to go to RSP drills.
      Actually OC, it depends on the state the RSP trooper is in.

Texas has it to where once you swear in, you are eligible for State TA (Just not Federal TA). Not sure if the little missus's troop has the same deal in his state, but it would behoove him to take a look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post

Texas has it to where once you swear in, you are eligible for State TA (Just not Federal TA). Not sure if the little missus's troop has the same deal in his state, but it would behoove him to take a look into it.
        Yep, I used State TA between BCT and OCS, and during OCS.

Comment

That's a good deal right there.

Comment

Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
            That's a good deal right there.
            Ha, yea! Heaven help you butt though if you bail on the NG before BCT while taking STA. They get your back....

Comment

Ha, yea! Heaven help you butt though if you bail on the NG before BCT while taking STA. They get your back....
              That was my initial thought too, which is why it's a bad idea to award anything like that to knuckleheads that want something for nothing.

Comment

Working...
              X