Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is TA here to stay?

Hello all,

Just some background (first post on the forums), I am a 22 year old female and I haven’t always wanted to be in the military but the life style has always interested me. The last few years I have been lax in my life and I needed a change. I started working out again and lost about 35 lbs I signed up for college classes again (at a community college). In general getting my life back on the track. However when I sat back and thought about it I still wasn’t were I wanted to be. I have been paying for college out of pocket and I have been slowly going into debt, and I am only able to take one or two classes at a time, because I work a full time job. I started researching military services on the internet and found out information on the guard and realized this was the change I needed. I am eventually looking to join law enforcement for a civilian career. The training, experience, and the tuition assistance would be remarkable to set me up for the career I have been hoping for.

I first spoke with my local recruiter back in December we talked about the jobs and a 68W sounds like it would be something I want to do in the guard. However I was already signed up and paying for my college so I decided to hold off until after my classes finished around April or May to go through MEPS and take the ASVAB. I am kind of glad I waited because of the “Sequestering” that has happened.

Don’t get me wrong having the tuition assistance is not the only reason I was ready to sign up. But now that it was taken away from everyone so quickly and what sounded to me like no warning, I am again on the fence about joining. I am not worried about having my tuition paid for 100%, but having no compensation, I am just not sure if it is feasible for me to put my future on the line.

Does anyone think that the TA is here to stay?Or may it be gone with the wind at the end of this fiscal year?

I know this is the guard forum but to make myself feel better I have to ask. Is the training and experience alone worth joining?

Re: Is TA here to stay?

Originally posted by ashleybuckel View Post
    Hello all,

Just some background (first post on the forums), I am a 22 year old female and I haven’t always wanted to be in the military but the life style has always interested me. The last few years I have been lax in my life and I needed a change. I started working out again and lost about 35 lbs I signed up for college classes again (at a community college). In general getting my life back on the track. However when I sat back and thought about it I still wasn’t were I wanted to be. I have been paying for college out of pocket and I have been slowly going into debt, and I am only able to take one or two classes at a time, because I work a full time job. I started researching military services on the internet and found out information on the guard and realized this was the change I needed. I am eventually looking to join law enforcement for a civilian career. The training, experience, and the tuition assistance would be remarkable to set me up for the career I have been hoping for.

I first spoke with my local recruiter back in December we talked about the jobs and a 68W sounds like it would be something I want to do in the guard. However I was already signed up and paying for my college so I decided to hold off until after my classes finished around April or May to go through MEPS and take the ASVAB. I am kind of glad I waited because of the “Sequestering” that has happened.

Don’t get me wrong having the tuition assistance is not the only reason I was ready to sign up. But now that it was taken away from everyone so quickly and what sounded to me like no warning, I am again on the fence about joining. I am not worried about having my tuition paid for 100%, but having no compensation, I am just not sure if it is feasible for me to put my future on the line.

Does anyone think that the TA is here to stay?Or may it be gone with the wind at the end of this fiscal year?

I know this is the guard forum but to make myself feel better I have to ask. Is the training and experience alone worth joining?
    There are a great many education benefits associated with being an NG soldier. TA is just one of them, and honestly, it's probably one of the least useful ones. The GI bill and state-level benefits are what you're most likely to use. Here's a good start.

Comment

Hello all,

What state are you in?

Comment

What state are you in?

Comment

Michigan.

Comment

The sequestration only affected federal tuition assistance; not the others. And that just amounts to $4500 per fiscal year.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/educat...ssistance.html

Comment

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that Michigan had its own "allowance". The way the recruiter explained it to me he kinda bunched it all togeather, with the TA and the GI.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that Michigan had its own "allowance". The way the recruiter explained it to me he kinda bunched it all togeather, with the TA and the GI.
                I graduated from the University of Connecticut (UCONN) and TA paid for mostly everything except fees (e.g. registration, student parking).

Comment

Not all states have additional education benefits or there maybe fine print (ie must attend state school). You would really need to ask your recruiter detailed questions about education benefits in MI.

As far as TA, it's here to stay. This is probably the first year ever that it was cut.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                    Not all states have additional education benefits or there maybe fine print (ie must attend state school). You would really need to ask your recruiter detailed questions about education benefits in MI.

As far as TA, it's here to stay. This is probably the first year ever that it was cut.
                    I suspect it might go back down to 75%.

Comment

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Working...
                      X